IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

56 minutes ago, phosphorein said:

I examined some of the 24/96 streams from primephonic and they appeared to be normal 16/44 files, even though primephonic asserted that these were 24/96 recordings. I found primephonic's web player to be buggy and only a limited classical catalog. Qobuz is definitely a higher value service.

What browser are you using? Chrome works a lot better with the primephonic platform than Firefox.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

As envisioned by MQA,  MQA is a closed "ecosystem".  Like a septic system.  And full of the same thing.

Does this comment add anything to the discussion?

The toxicity of the post is underscored by the (for me, and I'm sure others) useful parsing of DSD technology that's unfolded over the last few days on this thread. The principals in that back-and-forth were pretty insistent about their positions and the tone got edgy, but it was still quite illuminating for those of us who don't have an engineering background - who can't do the "maths," as one of the protagonists would say.

Someone will suggest that I simply block this guy and, of course, I could. But that won't stop postings like this from derailing a serious dialog regarding a controversial or otherwise challenging issue.

Chris has reminded me before how rare this sort of provocative-for-the-sake-of provocation posting is on AS. So how sure is he that KeenObserver isn't someone we've heard from before? The  expressive style, and (lack of) substance seem awful familiar....

17 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Why kindness, when we Chris saw nothing but contempt? Civility is a 2-way street. There was supposed to be an AXPONA MQA discussion panel with Dr. Mark Waldrep being on the panel. Guess what, NO MQA PERSON WOULD SHOW UP. So, the panel discussion never happened. This is the issue. If they want to discuss, discuss. Let's discuss the positives and negatives, not hide behind veil, like the MQA proponents have been.

As far as anonymity is concerned and journalism, most of the important 20th century news stories were started because of anonymous sources. Does that mean the information is invalid? NO IT DOES NOT. Archimago has been straight forward with his reporting on MQA and what he has discovered. As a matter of fact, he even gave out all the information so anyone with the proper equipment can repeat what he has done and actually welcomed that. Why it is a big deal to you who Archimago is? He has stated he does not work in this industry  and does it because he loves audio. You want people to take what MQA says at face value but you do not what to take what Archimago has done at face value? Sorry, it is a 2-way street.

I think this is another case of, obfuscation by the MQA proponents while giving no information as to why we need it? We do not and this has been proven time and time again.

I'm not an "MQA proponent". I'm aware of the AXPONA (? 2018) MQA decision to bow out and was disappointed at a missed opportunity to educate and inform. I'm not saying that Chris could have done it any other way at RMAF.

Also please understand that I have no problem at all with Archimago's anonymity—he's an honest and thoughtful observer. His anonymity is not like, say, Brinkman Ship's, which was fundamentally dishonest and—to my mind—helped to undermine real conversation.

Andrew

16 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

To date, the only response that MQA has offered to valid technical criticism is "ignore the rude, angry trolls".

That by itself should be informative to those still on the fence about MQA.

Hi Samuel

Lee S (who maintains that he's not in the employ of MQA, but is obviously an advocate) wrote a lengthy critique of Chris's slides a few pages back. I don't expect you to agree with his points, of course. But why doesn't this represent the sort of substantive argument for the technology that you and others say is never offered? You can continue to take down his arguments one by one, understanding that he's likely to maintain his convictions. And—this is my pie-in-the-sky utopian vision—let the undecided consider the cases made by both proponents and naysayers and decide for themselves, without the distraction of derision and character-bashing.

Andrew

34 minutes ago, mansr said:

Maybe because it's not truthful.

Now we're getting down to my issue. The one everybody hates. The C-word.

Why is Lee, in your view "not truthful" rather than simply "wrong"?

One characterization makes him out to be actively dissembling while other, perhaps, represents another opinion. You must know that there are plenty of audiophiles out there who have positive views about MQA. You haven't concluded that they're all liars as well, have you?

Andrew Quint

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...