IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

8 minutes ago, crenca said:

That's just the usual marketing fluff.  Actually, it is an extreme example in that it is a delusional take on "what the younger generation" want out of audio.

This is the usual malcontent fluff, the geezer generation that is watching audio pass them by. Save your 10 bucks a month, NP.

11 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

If you want to know why the labels like MQA this is a must read:

http://musically.com/2017/09/04/major-labels-hi-res-audio/

I've read that, didn't find it all that illuminating. Why don't they just release higher res versions of the music they have, charge a small premium and call it good? It's very difficult to tell the difference between good redbook and hi-res on a great set of speakers I don't think to many people are gonna tell the difference on their computer speakers or monophonic blue-tooth. How many of your friends have thousands of dollars of playback equipment? If people can't hear the difference between redbook and hi-res or MQA on their playback system, it is by definition a marketing scheme.

5 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

The major labels don't give a sh*t about sound quality.

There are two reasons why they like MQA:

- allows them sell yet another version of the same music to the same consumers

- contains DRM which will reduce piracy 

You are right and wrong. Studios care about acquiring new customers. Every new streaming customer adds monthly revenue. It's CUSTOMERS that care about SQ right? Maybe better SQ + new customers but we need to wait for sales data to see.

3 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

You are right and wrong. Studios care about acquiring new customers. Every new streaming customer adds monthly revenue. It's CUSTOMERS that care about SQ right? Maybe better SQ + new customers but we need to wait for sales data to see.

Only a very small percentage of music consumers really care that much about SQ. These are the folks that hang out on forums like this. The fact that even SQ-obsessed music lovers like ourselves have mixed feelings about the SQ of this format doesn't bode well for it's future.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

2 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

With respect to audio, consumers have never shown an interest in quality. 

Bob said to me on an MQA panel that consumers have never had the option. I believe they have had the option for a very long time. The most recent example is Tidal lossless vs. lossy and all other streaming services. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

7 minutes ago, Mordikai said:

I've read that, didn't find it all that illuminating. ....it is by definition a marketing scheme.

Exactly.  Witchdoctor is simply copying and pasting advertising copy - and not even very good examples.  The younger music lover is not being swayed by technical voodoo as they grew up in it and are more digitally aware and weary.  They are spot on when they stick with Spotify (or at most, spotify premium 320) as their playback chain is the limiting factor as far as SQ (not format).  The younger "audiophile" is not being swayed by digital voodoo either, or at least less than the older "high end" guys.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

5 minutes ago, Mordikai said:

I think I qualify on all counts, but betting the record companies know the direction of the wind is a big assumption that recent history does not support.

The trend of sales is cratering, if they do the same thing they get the same result. I give them kudos for trying to improve the quality of streaming and hopefully attract customers away from pirating.

1 minute ago, witchdoctor said:

The trend of sales is cratering, if they do the same thing they get the same result. I give them kudos for trying to improve the quality of streaming and hopefully attract customers away from pirating.

Dude- they've been trying trying to fight piracy for 20 years and making every wrong move along the way.

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

With respect to audio, consumers have never shown an interest in quality. 

Bob said to me on an MQA panel that consumers have never had the option. I believe they have had the option for a very long time. The most recent example is Tidal lossless vs. lossy and all other streaming services. 

Well I CARE about quality, and as long as I get 7000+ MQA albums with more being dropped every week for only $10 extra a month I am good. 

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The record companies don't care about you. It's ridiculous to care about such a small population. 

Hey didn't you know there is a HUGE population of witchdoctor's and growing? What other people like is not my concern, sorry. The fact that the labels are converting their catalogs to MQA is their call.

4 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

Hey didn't you know there is a HUGE population of witchdoctor's and growing? What other people like is not my concern, sorry. The fact that the labels are converting their catalogs to MQA is their call.

How many of your friends spend as much as you do on audio?

6 minutes ago, Mordikai said:

How many of your friends spend as much as you do on audio?

Why would they buy anything? I got a line of friends outside my door waiting to get in to jam, chill, and rock out :)

BTW, you can't see it in the pics but I have an electronic screen on the ceiling and when I push a button it comes down for movie night. 

3 hours ago, witchdoctor said:

Two channel technology is ancient and delapidated beyond all hope. Why do you think a show like RMAF has so many $50K+ systems on display? Because they are NECESSARY to get a decent result using 2 channel.

Get real. It has nothing to do with getting decent sound out of 2 channel, it has to do with all sorts of other marketing issues in high end.  Show super expensive gets you more sales at show, more pub, and reputation. 

How many people want to be "immersed"? They don't, because they listen to music as a background/lifestyle activity. 

In the actual universe of getting people to buy things (not the 0/0000001% of the market you reside in), the market wants inexpensive, wireless, small, unobtrusive, match to decor, and as few boxes as possible-or some combination of at least several of those, if not all.

The kind of systems you are talking about will remain a niche of a niche. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 minutes ago, firedog said:

Get real. It has nothing to do with getting decent sound out of 2 channel, it has to do with all sorts of other marketing issues in high end.  Show super expensive gets you more sales at show, more pub, and reputation. 

How many people want to be "immersed"? They don't, because they listen to music as a background/lifestyle activity. 

In the actual universe of getting people to buy things (not the 0/0000001% of the market you reside in), the market wants inexpensive, wireless, small, unobtrusive, match to decor, and as few boxes as possible-or some combination of at least several of those, if not all.

The kind of systems you are talking about will remain a niche of a niche. 

SOA is not for everyone I know, good luck with two channel. Do you rub 2 sticks together to start your stove too?

55 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

If you want to know why the labels like MQA this is a must read:

http://musically.com/2017/09/04/major-labels-hi-res-audio/

Really, the younger people want hi-res so they can ask their Alexa to play it back? I'm sure they will hear it over the Alexa and swoon from the hi-res nuances they hear from their volume compressed tracks.

Did you actually read the article? Rarely have I read such a bunch of baseless bull.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 minute ago, firedog said:

Really, the younger people want hi-res so they can ask their Alexa to play it back? I'm sure they will hear it over the Alexa and swoon from the hi-res nuances they hear from their volume compressed tracks.

Did you actually read the article. Rarely have a read such a bunch of baseless bull.

I like Alexa for movies, and quick casual listening, not so much for SQ. 

17 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

I have a hard time following your comments. Now you're talking about people's likes and your concerns and whose call it is to convert libraries? None of that matters in this discussion. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

50 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Or increase piracy 

Since you are supporting the negative, MQA is not a tool for decreasing piracy, could you briefly explain what the above quote means to you?  For the sake of simplicity let's focus on the US market only.

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I have a hard time following your comments. Now you're talking about people's likes and your concerns and whose call it is to convert libraries? None of that matters in this discussion. 

It is the labels job to convert to MQA or not. It is the customers job to buy or not. I cannot control either one so don't stress about it. I will buy what I like as long as it is available. Right now that is MQA.