IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

12 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Jim Austin:

"When I played an MQA file through each of two grouped zones to both MQA-enabled DACs, both indicated that they were decoding MQA, which, according to both Roon and MQA experts I talked to, is a clear indication of bit-perfect playback. Indeed, dCS writes in the Bartók manual, "MQA decoding is not possible if the original MQA data has been changed." 

https://www.stereophile.com/content/dcs-bartok-da-processorheadphone-amplifier-page-2#QFfvFtGjlKGVc3zS.99

???? @mansr

I thought it was @FredericV who showed that changing certain bits of the payload would alter the sound, but the blue light would remain on (MQA's "authentication" effectively circumvented).  Apologies if I'm mistaken.

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

I think attacking MQA based on the fact that someone in a lab can change the file and make the blue light shine even though the file has been altered is rather dumb. 

I guarantee that you're browsing this site via SSL and your communication is encrypted if you see the pad lock in your browser. All people saying SSL is secure and people who show the padlock should immediately cease saying this is secure because this can be defeated in a laboratory. 

Makes no sense to me. 

Assuming you're not revealing an SSL vulnerability with your site(s), change just one bit of the data in the encrypted stream, and the alteration detection mechanisms will do their job and you'll know something's amiss.  And by the way, editing binary data in a file does not require a "laboratory" or even a white coat.  🙂

And I'm not "attacking" MQA.  I'm simply stating that the "authentication" has been effectively circumvented.  This is a fact.

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You must have missed Edward Snowden's data dump. The capability is there. 

Those vulnerabilities are a few years old and have been addressed.  There's no doubt that SSL has its problems (not the least of which is the unknowns around possible backdoors in AES), but you can't compare it with the utterly broken "authentication" of MQA.  They're completely unrelated.

2 minutes ago, mansr said:

You guys are talking at cross purposes. Look at what Jim Austin wrote again (emphasis mine):

"After I'd finished with my listening, dCS alerted me to a possible error in my methodology: Grouped zones in Roon may not be bit-perfect. If the two DACs aren't both receiving the same, unaltered data, the test is invalid. But in my case, the data apparently were bit-perfect: When I played an MQA file through each of two grouped zones to both MQA-enabled DACs, both indicated that they were decoding MQA"

This isn't about authentication or possible ways of faking it. It's simply a quick test to see if Roon is messing with the data. Since the DACs still detect the streams as MQA, the top 16 bits have not been touched. Yes, if Roon had zapped the low 8 bits without using dither, the DACs would still indicated MQA. Is there any reason to believe Roon would be doing this or something even more convoluted in order to trick an MQA DAC into turning on the blue light? I don't think so. It is therefore a reasonable, if not bomb proof, test of bit-perfect transport.

The strength of the authentication isn't relevant here since, presumably, nobody is actively trying to trick it.

I was talking just about that the authentication does not detect certain kinds of of tampering.  I don't think there's any dispute about that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Does anyone know the relation of Roon's Sarah Stuart to MQA's Bob Stuart?

"Sarah works on music editorial and research as part of Roon’s Music Team." https://blog.roonlabs.com/author/sarah/

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/sarah-stuart-7889b1150

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 2.18.41 PM.png

She shares a last name with Mr. Stuart.  I'm a little surprised you seem to almost be asking the forum for help doxing someone.  Bad form for the forum owner, and potentially more ammo for MQA to throw hate at this forum.  I'm perplexed, to say the least.