IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

@ARQuintWith regard to your otherwise competent review of the Odeon Absolute DAC:

Negatives or compromises, if you will? No MQA, if you happen to be a fan.

Really? This is a broken effing record from the main stream audio press, the obligatory swipe at any digital piece not bowing to the throne of BS, isn't it?

Shameful, at this late stage, and after all the BS claims have been long ago fully debunked, and even lame-ass supposed subjective listening preference also highly questionable in the context of the McGill study, how is it possible TAS thinks any/all mention of Master Quality Approximated is in any way important or relevant to the prospective buyer of a piece like the Odeon Absolute DAC?

Did you think adding the "if you happen to be a fan" part actually absolved you of any complicity? Did your editor ask you to add that bit about no Master Quality Adulterated, or do you personally feel it is truly relevant and useful information to the readers of TAS, and that the review would be incomplete without it?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

2 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

Is it possible this has happened with more manufacturers? 

It is possible, though no one will ever know the real numbers involved, and the blame for that lies with the audio press for their relentless and reckless promotion of all things Master Quality Adulterated.

It's also possible that those very same manufacturers are not innovators, and are merely looking for the easy way out with regard to shifting boxes, so they play the game of "tick the feature list".

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Never heard this expression before. Thanks for sharing.

Me neither, very interesting indeed.

23 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This comes to mind. 

Sealioning

That would surely seem to be one of the tactics employed by the MQA adherents.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

There is a whole mass of people that don't understand the full implications of implementing MQA.

That above all else is what needs to be communicated to the masses, if at all possible. It's not rocket science in that regard, doesn't need to be highly technical for those implications to be laid bare.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kevin Brock said:

You know it is quite simple.

It is not quite simple, but then I'd expect because you are brand new to this thread that you've not actually read much of it.

Take a good look, there are lots of reasons why it is not quite simple, and what most of us are objecting to is the threat to consumers and choice that MQA represents, not to mention imposition of DRM.

I hear the difference. MQA to my ears is usually better than CD.

You are in the minority there, various different user groups, as well as the McGill study don't agree.

But if you don’t agree then fine. Don’t use it.

Oh we definitely won't, nor any product such as TIDAL that endorses or licenses MQA and participates in the scheme. We don't want our consumer choice to be eliminated by the greedy record labels and their investment banking backers, so the last thing we'd do is support companies or products attempting to do just that.

Welcome to the forum by the way, wow your very first post here, a vehement defense of MQA. Signed up just for that?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

38 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Nobody is foolish enough to suggest MQA is leading to a reduction in the availability of CDs. 

Yeah I missed that supposed suggestion, I don't think that was a thing. However MQA has definitely led to a reduction in the availability of real Redbook quality content on TIDAL.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

34 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

On one hand this sucks because I love Radio Paradise and I hate to see them sucked into this. On the other hand, at least it's exclusive to Bluesound devices. 

It does suck, and I'd like to understand it better. Does this mean non-BluOS users will be hearing MQA encoded tracks on Radio Paradise at something akin to 14-bit quality, due to their hardware not being Bluesound brand?

In other words, is Radio Paradise going to be replacing the standard Redbook tracks they would have typically streamed in the past with MQA encoded versions, or will there perhaps be a fully separate stream that is a different URL, for the MQA crap and BluOS users?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, Cebolla said:

Separate parallel streams, so with the same playlist - one sourced from MQA material; the other from non-MQA, Really?

Unlikely. It'll be far easier to source both streams from the same MQA material and just run a bit depth reducing downsampling (where necessary) hi-res MQA mangler to produce the 16bit/44.1kHz 'non-MQA'  stream - similar to what TIDAL already does on its HiFi quality connection (as opposed to its Masters quality connection). Don't be surprised if some MQA-CD tracks start 'appearing' on the 'non-MQA' stream. 

Definitely thats what I am concerned will happen, seems likely, and when it does, I'll delete their streams entirely which is really too bad. 

I've always really liked RP, but once they are aiding and abetting this rip-off scheme, then I bid them adieu.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

2 hours ago, Currawong said:

I'll be happy if they stream 24/96.  I understand that it's a difficult situation for Bill to keep RP running, given that he relies on donations. That means getting RP more well known. Doing so through a manufacturer makes sense. Sadly that has to involve MQA.

Where does the blurb you quoted come from? 

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Interesting, if that information remains up-to-date, it would appear their license to operate in WA was suspended in August 2019?

2 hours ago, JoshM said:

Perhaps calls into question under what circumstances they were approved by B of A for a PPP loan in the amount of $180,000 just this past March 2nd. That might also raise the question of what other (if any) PPP loans were previously granted, and just how many employees' jobs were supposedly sustained by those loan(s).

I guess it's also possible if the loans are not in the category of "forgivable", that makes little difference when the business in question subsequently closes their doors for good.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

34 minutes ago, JoshM said:

More seriously, isn't this the second MQA thread that's been locked at ASR because Amir made a fool of himself and got repeatedly dunked on by his followers?

Yes, it most certainly is.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

4 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

What, exactly, is a 1411Kbps FLAC file?

It's compression-less lossless, another Bob Stuart worldwide first.

The new acronym will be PLCAC, Perceptually Lossless Compression-less Audio Codec™.

4 hours ago, Archimago said:

FLAC Level 0 compression??? 🤪

Actually it's the all new FLAC level -1.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook