IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

21 hours ago, Lee Scoggins said:

But this isn't true in the case of Peter McGrath's files.  The mastering is identical except for the MQA treatment.  The treated files sound noticeably better and it's very easy to hear, in part because they are live acoustic performances.

And your sighted listening tests, which prove nothing.

Do the same tests blind without Peter McGrath in the room.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

17 hours ago, Lee Scoggins said:

I wasn't going after Pro-Tools so much as the engineers who just record in 24/44 or 24/48.  Joe Palmaccio in Nashville and many others have been railing about this for over 10 years.  As someone who likes the best possible sound, I have been discussing this on the Hoffman board for a similarly long period of time.  My view is that 24/96 or better is ideal.

For processing --  for the best quality you really need more than 48k for the general case (where you don't know what kind of processing is being done.)  96k (or 88.2k) is the next higher sample rate that makes sense.  48k/44.1k sample rates are okay for delivery or simple applications, but lock you in to some problematical issues.  (Of course, you -- or the processing product -- can do up/down conversion, but that isn't really a good thing to do if can be avoided.)

Nowadays, with HW being so common, and plenty of disk space available, I don't see any reason at all for production not to use anything at 88.2k/96k or above @ 24 bits no-lossy compression involved.  Actually, 32bit floating point is better -- opens up some dynamic range mistake recovery during processing.  192k is nice, but mostly overkill for audio (real audible audio) applications, but other than overhead, really cannot hurt.  Also, the integral up/down conversion to 192k isn't too awful -- just best to avoid. There are a few minor additional degrees of freedom when using 192k sample rate (I am speaking of the DSP issues), but I would hope that most competent developers can avoid problems with processing at 96k.  48k is less easy/more trash can be left in the audio.  44.1k is simply ludicrious to try to do certain kinds of processing directly.  Also, there is a VERY VERY slight spectre of some Gibbs effect when up/down converting to/from 44.1k -- but NOT for linear applications.  Things like limiters/compressors have to do their duty carefully to avoid the sidebands wrapping around Nyquist rate.

The big problem with 48k (or 44.1k) is NOT problems for listening purposes, but one problem is there are some kinds of processing that produce sidebands in the audio -- those sidebands can easily (very very easily) create aliasing.  Linear processing -- no problems -- even doing up/down conversion (other than the well known issues.)  For nonlinear operatoins (like limiters/compressors/clippers/etc), best to avoid the lower sample rates.

1 hour ago, John Dyson said:

Nowadays, with HW being so common, and plenty of disk space available, I don't see any reason at all for production not to use anything at 88.2k/96k or above @ 24 bits no-lossy compression involved.  

The limitation is usually the total bandwidth required. 96 or 192 is great unless one needs a ton of tracks/channels. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The limitation is usually the total bandwidth required. 96 or 192 is great unless one needs a ton of tracks/channels. 

Maybe, in that case upconverison/downconversion might be appropriate.  However, at 192ksamples/sec * 4bytes/sample*16channels is 13Mbytes/sec.  If/when you REALLY need 16 or 24 channels and not just playing around, that isn't all that much.  A computer HDD is capable of 100Mbytes/second, and whenever processing those channels in HW, one would USUALLY do it in parallel, so the bandwidth per channel isn't all that big a deal.

I can acknowledge that 192k is probably excessive, especially for pop music,  so 96k might be a reasonable tradeoff.

My software is incredibly 'dense' with signal processing (it is difficult to describe the amount of processing -- but it is written absolutely the most efficiently as possible, and takes 3 cores of a Haswell CPU -- 3.3/3.4MHz because of the SIMD instructions throttling the CPU -- to run realtime.)   Very LITTLE procesisng in audio (unless maybe something neural net based) would need ANYWHERE near as much CPU.

For example:

(My software for resources for 2 channels each:  does over 200, different 300-1024 tap FIR filters, 64 different 1024 tap (super accurate) Hilbert transforms using DP math  & BLACKMAN 92 windows to maximize accuracy), and that only takes 3 Haswell cores realtime.   I doubt that many situations require this much processing in REALTIME @ 96k samples/sec for the entire chain!!!  Additionally, the timing is tracked perfectly, so that the input/output files or realtime output is accurate sample per sample!!!

(BTW, the code runs well over 98% of the time in SIMD instructions -- LOTS of math.)

So, it seems to me that generally working with 16channels at 96k/floating point samples is not beyond the capability of a workstation.  (Running my software 16 channels in realtime on a normal workstation might not be practical , however running at 48k and less quality only doubles the speed) Additionally, more than 4 cores is regularly available nowadays.  I am, of course, assuming  moderately efficiently written code.

I'd suspect that very few channels for very many applications need nearly as much processing as my software in most cases.

John

5 hours ago, firedog said:

And your sighted listening tests, which prove nothing.

Do the same tests blind without Peter McGrath in the room.

I have heard the MQA MCGrath files and colour me not impressed. They were playing in the big Quintessence Audio room at AXPONA last year. I ran out of the room since they had so much high end noise, I was thinking there was problems with the system. McGrath liked MQA, and he said as much so their is your not so subtle bump to your sub-conscious to fill in the music.

I recently, went to a store in Des Moines, IA where I was listening to both MQA and regular FLAC. You could definitely hear the differences and many times is was not subtle. As an example, Melody Gardot's - Live in Europe can be had in both 48/24 FLAC and MQA. Listening to Track 1 in MQA, the drums (using brushes) sounded like noise, while the regular FLAC sounded like brushes on drums. This is only one of the things I noticed.

Lee - you can keep your MQA. I will take my regular FLAC files.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

4 hours ago, crenca said:

Update on Roon and MQA:  They admit that MQA should not trump Qobuz hi res (though I think they merely mean MQA's marketing speak resolution when equal to equivalent real hi res).  They called the current behavior a "bug" on their forums.

It's hard to do a fair comparison between MQA and Qobuz as there are some differences in how they do the streaming.  I find on some albums I prefer the Tidal MQA version and on others I prefer the Qobuz.  I play both via Roon 1.6.  It's hard to know what mastering differences exist on each file as well and what impact that is having on the final sound quality.

5 hours ago, tmtomh said:

HiGH-RES SAMPLE RATES: You need to re-read my comment (which you are replying to in what I've quoted above): When I said there's no evidence that anything more than 48k is necessary or useful, I clearly noted that I was referring to consumer end-product only, not to recording or mixing. 

So you need to acknowledge that you erred in responding as if I were including "doing recordings" in my point about sample rate.

EVIDENCE OF DRM: MQA is a DRM'd format. The fact that it has a currently unused ability to implement additional forms of DRM is irrelevant to the factual question of whether or not MQA is DRM'd. It is. An MQA file made from a 24/192 PCM original and purchased by a consumer, cannot be unfolded to 24/96 except during live streaming aka playback. As the purchaser and therefore owner of the file, I cannot play that unfolded 24/96 file on my non-MQA-capable equipment. I cannot load it into an audio editor and EQ it if I have an issue with the mastering. (And as I've said before, that's leaving aside the "final render" version that gets upsampled to 192.)

That's DRM, and you know it.

1.  On consumer playback, 24/96 sounds way better than 24/48.  It doesn't matter whether it's recording or playback, the differences are real.  I cannot even believe we are arguing this.

2.  There is no DRM.  It's an authentication process.  They are trying to ensure a process from start to finish.  No one is forcing you to buy MQA gear.  And the unfolding can be done in inexpensive software.  And why do you need to mess with the mastering anyway?  If you don't like the release, don't buy it. 

These are incredibly weak arguments against MQA.

1 minute ago, Lee Scoggins said:

It's hard to do a fair comparison between MQA and Qobuz as there are some differences in how they do the streaming.  I find on some albums I prefer the Tidal MQA version and on others I prefer the Qobuz.  I play both via Roon 1.6.  It's hard to know what mastering differences exist on each file as well and what impact that is having on the final sound quality.

It's not that hard.  Mastering differences are relatively easy to spot (instruments and voices move around, obvious level differences, whole new rhythm sections are suddenly heard on 50 year old rock, etc.) When the mastering is the same among an MQA album and the equivalent 16/44 or hi res, now that's hard.  MQA is a pretty transparent codec, with only a touch of digititus  heard on genre's/albums with enough HF content to reveal this.  On albums like Bob James "The New Cool", there is hardly enough so, it comes down to subjective bias.

Even on this (the real A/B of MQA vs PCM) you industry shills/writers get it wrong.  It's really amazing, you get it almost all wrong!  You supposedly hear amazing, obvious differences on albums with the same mastering.  Then again, you also hear amazing and obvious differences from a room treated with a handful of thimbles with "nano technology" in their tiny holes.  You guys are in a word, unbelievable.  You can't even do the "golden ear" thing right...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

On 2/21/2019 at 11:31 AM, mcgillroy said:

...why did Lee suddenly go after Pro-Tools?

On 2/21/2019 at 11:43 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

That's been a popular product for audiophiles to bash over the years. 

Most audiophile recording companies don't use Pro-tools or other types of processing as they are the antithesis to natural recording techniques. I understand most posters here prefer major label recordings because that is where the music they like resides. 

Those audiophile labels don't like how Pro-tools changes the sound of their recordings, they believe using it and other such tools degrade the sonics. Music lovers who love the sound quality of audiophile recordings and loathe the sound of major label recordings tend to logically blame Pro-tools.

In my experience the most enjoyable classical, jazz and blues recordings are from audiophile labels, and boutique European classical labels.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Watching Lee Scoggins continued promotion of the MQA agenda strikes me as being profoundly sad.  It makes me think of someone performing CPR on a close family member who is in rigor.

Lee,  you need to give it a rest.  The patient was fraught with cancer and disease.  It is a blessing to lay it to rest.

No one can fault you for not promoting it 100%.  But the patient is dead.  Let it rest in peace.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

6 hours ago, Don Hills said:

There is DRM, just not currently implemented. As well as the actual code in the decoders, there's the smoking gun of paying for a license for strong encryption when a simpler, free implementation would have achieved the authentication goal.

The authentication is quite simple. All it does is compute a hash over the PCM data and compare it to an RSA-encrypted reference.