IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

8 hours ago, skikirkwood said:

How can you not feel humiliated when you see posts like this across the Internet.  I used to read Audiostream for laughs, similar to this person's assessment of Stereophile.  Steve Plaskin's cable reviews provided the most entertainment, I will miss them. :)

Laughing at someone as a form of ridicule or imply humiliation reflects more on the person doing the laughing. To assume the person being laughed at consents to the humiliation is IMO quite foolish ie things that a fool would do.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

1 hour ago, MetalNuts said:

I find it strange that for those whose mother tongue are English would accept use of the word fold as compress. 

is folding not a way to pack a larger thing into a smaller form or package? If so, folding may be seen as a form of compression, at least in a general sense. I suspect the MQA crowd would have wanted to avoid the word compression or codec to impart a mystique around what is being presented as a new technology.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

17 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

is folding not a way to pack a larger thing into a smaller form or package? If so, folding may be seen as a form of compression, at least in a general sense. I suspect the MQA crowd would have wanted to avoid the word compression or codec to impart a mystique around what is being presented as a new technology.

Are u considering 2 dimension only, folding makes the 2 dimension smaller but in terms of volume, it is just the same. As I said, there are so many words that can be used to describe and the choice of folding is wrong or inappropriate word unless everyone is playing with words.  I assume BS is and the word "fold" unfortunately also indicates the process. From the very beginning, BS tricked people to believe that there is a reduction of size but there is not, so it does not support his claim of facilitating it in streaming at all. 

I consider my the reading of the literal meaning of words at least in this case is right.

MetalNuts

3 minutes ago, MetalNuts said:

Are u considering 2 dimension only, folding makes the 2 dimension smaller but in terms of volume, it is just the same. As I said, there are so many words that can be used to describe and the choice of folding is the wrong or inappropriate word unless everyone is playing with words.  I assume BS is and the word "fold" unfortunately also indicate the process. From the very beginning, BS tricked people to believe that there is a reduction of size but there is not, so it does not make his claim of facilitating it in streaming at all. 

I consider my the reading of the literal meaning of words at least in this case is right.

Well you got me there. But we're still agreed I have the better Avatar, right?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

4 hours ago, MetalNuts said:

May be I do.  I understand Qobus is sarcastic and there is no question about it.  

I find it strange that for those whose mother tongue are English would accept use of the word fold as compress.  They are different and have different meaning and usage.  I do not blame BS to use the word fold cos' he is BS anyway.

"Fold" as used by MQA is a marketing term. No need to read more into it than that. It is not intended to be exact or to match any known and accepted technical meaning. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, MetalNuts said:

Is there any law in US that governs the misrepresentation of advertisement?  Even if there is not, I wonder how the patent office could/would miss such untrue description of the process. 

There are laws but they are hard to apply. Stating an opinion about the quality of something  can't really be called lying or deceptive. The MQA process is patented, and I think the terms "fold" or "origami" are used as metaphors to paper folding to describe the process. That won't get them in trouble. 

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

On 6/24/2018 at 5:17 AM, oneway23 said:

I admire the passion some have for the art form of music around here, but, I don't know.  Exempting the public-at-large, who obviously couldn't care less about any of this (MQA or otherwise), how many people, even within the niche of our hobby, still even care enough about these publications to get this worked up?  I don't say this to insult or offend the magazines, in any way.  I'm merely pointing out that the targets of interest may not be worth the level of vitriol, whether warranted or otherwise.

Again, I appreciate the fire some have in defending their hobby of choice; it's admirable and inspiring to see the effort and energy that so many have contributed to this conversation. 

My fear is that we may oftentimes be missing the forest for the trees.   I don't know what the age demographics are of this board, I obviously don't have any data, but, I would really like to see it sometime.  I'd love to see some of the determination that a lot of posters have thus far geared (no pun intended!  Ok...maybe a little) towards MQA and its surrounding debate re-focused towards getting younger folks involved in the hobby and showing them what is possible through better audio.

You will see efforts toward getting young people involved when MQA Ltd is liquidated. They are in the planning stages and have been for about a year.  oneway23 almost everything is about money, power and influence. The targets of interest are worth the vitriol because in the American magazines case they are merely in the way of getting younger people interested in higher performance audio. They have more power and influence than they deserve. Bob Stuart wants to get back the large amount of money he has lost with Meridian and MQA since 2001 and leave a legacy. 

8 hours ago, firedog said:

There are laws but they are hard to apply. Stating an opinion about the quality of something  can't really be called lying or deceptive. The MQA process is patented, and I think the terms "fold" or "origami" are used as metaphors to paper folding to describe the process. That won't get them in trouble. 

what the the "mater quality" lie?

43 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

You will see efforts toward getting young people involved when MQA Ltd is liquidated. They are in the planning stages and have been for about a year.  oneway23 almost everything is about money, power and influence. The targets of interest are worth the vitriol because in the American magazines case they are merely in the way of getting younger people interested in higher performance audio. They have more power and influence than they deserve. Bob Stuart wants to get back the large amount of money he has lost with Meridian and MQA since 2001 and leave a legacy. 

...since 1977, no?

22 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Laughing at someone as a form of ridicule or imply humiliation reflects more on the person doing the laughing. To assume the person being laughed at consents to the humiliation is IMO quite foolish ie things that a fool would do.

When you write a glowing review of a $2000 USB cable it comes with the turf. https://www.audiostream.com/content/synergistic-research-galileo-le-usb-cable

On 6/25/2018 at 5:57 AM, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

I suspect the MQA crowd would have wanted to avoid the word compression or codec to impart a mystique around what is being presented as a new technology.

No need for that. The folding and origami was a metaphor, and a pretty good one at that.

All the more since the underlying technique was invented in Japan many years before MQA.

I maintain that MQA started quite innocently as a pretty neat but utterly useless  idea, and that it got carried away when shareholders and marketing got a word to say about it.

22 minutes ago, Fokus said:

No need for that. The folding and origami was a metaphor, and a pretty good one at that.

All the more since the underlying technique was invented in Japan many years before MQA.

I maintain that MQA started quite innocently as a pretty neat but utterly useless  idea, and that it got carried away when shareholders and marketing got a word to say about it.

Not sure we're talking about the same thing. Yes, "folding" appears to be a marketing term, an analogy to origami. I was merely saying that to the extent that MQA is a codec (eg top frequencies compressed into the lowest bits) it is much sexier to sell it as a wholesale new technology, not as a boring old codec, and with a mystique around the word "folding".

Similarly, preventing temporal smearing is a sexy concept on the face of it. That is if anyone knew what it actually means. There is again this mystique by analogy to jitter, it's not jitter but "temporal dispersion" that is addressed.

Its marketing hype.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

DATE: JUNE 26, 2018

PHONE: 818-238-6220

E-MAIL: [email protected]

ARTWORK: media.rhino.com

THE DOORS WAITING FOR THE SUN

50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION

2-CD/1-LP Edition Of The Doors’ First #1 Album Features Newly
Remastered Audio, Plus 14 Unreleased Studio and Live Recordings;

Available September 14 From Rhino

“Hello, I Love You” 7” Single To Be Released On August 3, 50 Years

To The Day Of The Song Hitting Number One On The Billboard Singles Chart

LOS ANGELES – The Doors released their third studio album, Waiting For The Sun, in July 1968. It was the band’s third platinum album in less than two years, and the first to top the album chart. Since its debut, the album has sold millions of copies around the globe and contributed to the Doors’ legendary canon with classics like “The Unknown Soldier,” “Five To One” and the #1 smash, “Hello, I Love You.”

Rhino will commemorate the 50th anniversary of the album this year with WAITING FOR THE SUN: 50th ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION. This 2-CD/1-LP collection features a new version of the album’s original stereo mix on both CD and 180-gram vinyl LP, which has been newly remastered from the original master tapes by Bruce Botnick, the Doors’ longtime engineer/mixer. The set also includes a second disc of 14 completely unreleased tracks: nine recently discovered “rough mixes” from the   album recording sessions and five live songs from a 1968 Copenhagen show. WAITING FOR THE SUN: 50th ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION will be available on September 14 for $49.98. The audio will also be available on digital download and streaming services.

“Hello, I Love You” became the band’s second #1 hit when it topped the Billboard singles chart for two weeks beginning on August 3, 1968. Now, exactly 50 years later, Rhino will release a new 7” version of the single with its b-side “Love Street.” For this anniversary release, Rhino will use mono radio mixes of the songs that were given exclusively to radio stations for airplay in 1968. This version of “Hello, I Love You” was first available last year as part of The Singles CD collection and is making its vinyl debut here, while the “Love Street” mix is being released commercially for the first time. The 7” single will be available on August 3 for $9.98.

Botnick’s newly remastered stereo mix of Waiting For The Sun adds new sonic dimensions to songs like “The Unknown Soldier” and “Spanish Caravan,” but that wasn’t his only contribution to the project. While going through his archive, he uncovered a cache of rough mixes from the sessions that hadn’t been played in 50 years. Botnick says: “I prefer some of these rough mixes to the finals, as they represent all of the elements and additional background vocals, different sensibilities on balances, and some intangible roughness, all of which are quite attractive and refreshing.”

The deluxe edition of the album also features unreleased live recordings of five songs from the Doors’ September 17, 1968 concert in Copenhagen. The performance includes three songs from the band’s latest album – “Hello, I Love You,” “Five To One,” and “The Unknown Soldier” – plus the classics “Back Door Man” and “The WASP (Texas Radio And The Big Beat).”

When the Doors recorded Waiting For The Sun in 1968, they were among the first bands to use Dolby A301 noise reduction processors, which was cutting-edge recording tech at the time. Similarly, the most advanced sound recording innovations were used to make the anniversary edition of Waiting For The Sun. The new release has been encoded with the MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) process. An MQA disc plays back on all CD players as standard CD quality. But if a conventional CD player is connected to an MQA-enabled device, it can play the same disc back at its original sample rate.

In other Doors news, the band has reprinted their original 1968 Doors concert program for the first time, which will be available exclusively in The Doors webstore. This was the only official tour program ever created by the band. 

The program was originally produced for their 1968 U.S. tour but only sold at a few select shows and via mail order. Designed by Paul Ferrara, this 24-page program includes many color and black & white images taken by Ferrara, plus poetry by Jim Morrison, astrology charts for each band member, and more.

For more information about THE DOORS, please contact Jason Elzy in the Rhino Media Relations Department at [email protected] or 818-238-6220.

www.thedoors.com

Pre-order now at the following links:

Waiting For The Sun: 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition https://rh-ino.co/wfts50

Hello I Love You 7” https://rh-ino.co/helloiloveyou

WAITING FOR THE SUN: 50th ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION

Track Listing

Disc One

1. “Hello, I Love You”
  2. “Love Street”
  3. “Not To Touch The Earth”
  4. “Summer’s Almost Gone”
  5. “Wintertime Love”
  6. “The Unknown Soldier”
  7. “Spanish Caravan”
  8. “My Wild Love”
  9. “We Could Be So Good Together”
  10. “Yes, The River Knows”
  11. “Five To One”

Disc Two (All Tracks Previously Unreleased)

Rough Mixes

1. “Hello, I Love You”
  2. “Summer’s Almost Gone”
  3. “Yes, The River Knows”
  4. “Spanish Caravan”
  5. “Love Street”
  6. “Wintertime Love”
  7. “Not To Touch The Earth”
  8. “Five To One”
  9. “My Wild Love”

Live In Copenhagen

1. “The WASP (Texas Radio And The Big Beat)”
  2. “Hello, I Love You”
  3. “Back Door Man”
  4. “Five To One”
  5. “The Unknown Soldier”

# # #

Pack Shot Doors_WaitingForTheSun_Deluxe.jpeg

WFTS Cover art.jpeg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

20 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

LOS ANGELES – The Doors released their third studio album, Waiting For The Sun, in July 1968. It was the band’s third platinum album in less than two years, and the first to top the album chart. Since its debut, the album has sold millions of copies around the globe and contributed to the Doors’ legendary canon with classics like “The Unknown Soldier,” “Five To One” and the #1 smash, “Hello, I Love You.”

Rhino will commemorate the 50th anniversary of the album this year with WAITING FOR THE SUN: 50th ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION. This 2-CD/1-LP collection features a new version of the album’s original stereo mix on both CD and 180-gram vinyl LP, which has been newly remastered from the original master tapes by Bruce Botnick, the Doors’ longtime engineer/mixer. The set also includes a second disc of 14 completely unreleased tracks: nine recently discovered “rough mixes” from the   album recording sessions and five live songs from a 1968 Copenhagen show. WAITING FOR THE SUN: 50th ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION will be available on September 14 for $49.98. The audio will also be available on digital download and streaming services.

“Hello, I Love You” became the band’s second #1 hit when it topped the Billboard singles chart for two weeks beginning on August 3, 1968. Now, exactly 50 years later, Rhino will release a new 7” version of the single with its b-side “Love Street.” For this anniversary release, Rhino will use mono radio mixes of the songs that were given exclusively to radio stations for airplay in 1968. This version of “Hello, I Love You” was first available last year as part of The Singles CD collection and is making its vinyl debut here, while the “Love Street” mix is being released commercially for the first time. The 7” single will be available on August 3 for $9.98.

Botnick’s newly remastered stereo mix of Waiting For The Sun adds new sonic dimensions to songs like “The Unknown Soldier” and “Spanish Caravan,” but that wasn’t his only contribution to the project. While going through his archive, he uncovered a cache of rough mixes from the sessions that hadn’t been played in 50 years. Botnick says: “I prefer some of these rough mixes to the finals, as they represent all of the elements and additional background vocals, different sensibilities on balances, and some intangible roughness, all of which are quite attractive and refreshing.”

The deluxe edition of the album also features unreleased live recordings of five songs from the Doors’ September 17, 1968 concert in Copenhagen. The performance includes three songs from the band’s latest album – “Hello, I Love You,” “Five To One,” and “The Unknown Soldier” – plus the classics “Back Door Man” and “The WASP (Texas Radio And The Big Beat).”

When the Doors recorded Waiting For The Sun in 1968, they were among the first bands to use Dolby A301 noise reduction processors, which was cutting-edge recording tech at the time. Similarly, the most advanced sound recording innovations were used to make the anniversary edition of Waiting For The Sun. The new release has been encoded with the MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) process. An MQA disc plays back on all CD players as standard CD quality. But if a conventional CD player is connected to an MQA-enabled device, it can play the same disc back at its original sample rate.

In other Doors news, the band has reprinted their original 1968 Doors concert program for the first time, which will be available exclusively in The Doors webstore. This was the only official tour program ever created by the band. 

The program was originally produced for their 1968 U.S. tour but only sold at a few select shows and via mail order. Designed by Paul Ferrara, this 24-page program includes many color and black & white images taken by Ferrara, plus poetry by Jim Morrison, astrology charts for each band member, and more.

For more information about THE DOORS, please contact Jason Elzy in the Rhino Media Relations Department at [email protected] or 818-238-6220.

www.thedoors.com

Track Listing

Disc One

1. “Hello, I Love You”
  2. “Love Street”
  5. “Wintertime Love”
  6. “The Unknown Soldier”
  7. “Spanish Caravan”
  8. “My Wild Love”
  11. “Five To One”

Rough Mixes

1. “Hello, I Love You”
  4. “Spanish Caravan”
  5. “Love Street”
  6. “Wintertime Love”
  8. “Five To One”
  9. “My Wild Love”

Live In Copenhagen

2. “Hello, I Love You”
  3. “Back Door Man”
  4. “Five To One”
  5. “The Unknown Soldier”

# # #

WFTS Cover art.jpeg

Interesting, but one 50 year old album of oldies aimed at baby boomers isn’t going to make MQA viable.

It’s doubtful you will see much mention of the MQA aspect in the mainstream press when it does get covered. 

If the 50th anniversary version of Sgt. Pepper had been done in MQA,  that might have made an impact. Nothing against the Doors, but this release isn’t exactly going to have the same impact. 

On the other hand, Friday the 29th sees the release of the “lost” Coltrane album with his “classic” quartet. More interesting, and I’d venture it will make more of an impact over time and overall. It’s already been featured in the NYT. Not in MQA. ...just sayin’.

24 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

www.thedoors.com

Track Listing

Disc One

1. “Hello, I Love You”
  2. “Love Street”
  5. “Wintertime Love”
  6. “The Unknown Soldier”
  7. “Spanish Caravan”
  8. “My Wild Love”
  11. “Five To One”

Rough Mixes

1. “Hello, I Love You”
  4. “Spanish Caravan”
  5. “Love Street”
  6. “Wintertime Love”
  8. “Five To One”
  9. “My Wild Love”

Live In Copenhagen

2. “Hello, I Love You”
  3. “Back Door Man”
  4. “Five To One”
  5. “The Unknown Soldier”

# # #

WFTS Cover art.jpeg

Strictly a method to gouge collectors. Doors fanatics are well known to purchase every single version of every release in every format.

I would love to know if Bruce Botnick was involved and what he thinks about MQA.

3 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

Strictly a method to gouge collectors. Doors fanatics are well known to purchase every single version of every release in every format.

I would love to know if Bruce Botnick was involved and what he thinks about MQA.

I'd like to know how they got Jim Morrison to sign off on it.