MQA is Vaporware

Rt66indierock

I think your apparent adoration of Mr. Lavorgna might be coloring your objectivity a little. He was pretty annoying as well.

+1

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Raylan Givens, Justified

Everything matters... when brewing coffee.

Never work. There will always be someone that thinks they know better than the industry experts even if they quite frankly know very little. One look at political discourse in the internet age and it's easy to see that strong views and certain personalities seem to combine to make relaxed and observations and discussion difficult. I know if I was one of our industry stalwarts that had knowledge, seasoned views about technologies and techniques and was asked to share them and open themselves up to Q&A on thus site I would decline immediately. There is an element that is far too volatile, too self important along with an embarrassing lack of self restraint shown on this site to want to engage.

Many of the people who post regularly on this forum know more about computer audio that your "industry experts". A good example is the embarrassing series of articles that TAS has published coauthored by an "industry expert" who calls himself The HiFi Doctor. (He has a PhD in Physiology and Molecular Oncology.)

This reminds me a little of the Dr. Carl Sagan quote: "They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."

Yep, some folks here who like to *disagree with* (as opposed to harangue - there's a difference) so-called "experts" are experts themselves. And some are bozos.

Great quote!

I think that most of us have a list in our heads who the clowns are, although our lists are probably different. :)

I would definitely like to see more participation from those in the industry although I understand the reluctance. I noticed, for example, that Barry D. stopped posting after a particularly unpleasant exchange with a member here who likes to be right.

Perhaps Chris could host moderated virtual call-in sessions with industry experts with zero-tolerance for off topic nonsense.

Streaming in hi-res non-proprietary formats is coming from Pandora, Rhapsody, Pono, and others.

My question is - what basis do people have in thinking that MQA will be the *only* hi-res format?

All of these services require content from Universal, Sony, and Warner.

Based on their track record to date, I have no problem at all seeing these record labels making MQA a requirement for access to their catalogs if they believe it to be the best way to protect their content.

Sure. But we *know* that this not *not the case*. I can imagine all kinds of things as well but I try to temper my imagination with reality.

Why do we *know* this to be *not the case*?

Macrovision, DVD and BluRay discs with both copy protection and region codes, copy protected CDs, FairPlay all indicate that the entertainment industry will do whatever it can to protect it's content.

The fact that many "industry experts" seem to be ignoring the trojan horse nature of this technology is disturbing to me.

I sound like a broken record - Pandora and Rhapsody are launching hi-res streaming this year and they are not using MQA. There are others in the works.

Question - what basis do you have in believing MQA will become the only hi-res source and when do you think this will happen?

Any hi-res streaming service is going to need content from The Big 3 to get any kind of traction and they could easily be forced to use MQA if these three labels decide that's the best way to project hi-res content.

Hopefully, it won't come to that but I'm keeping my rose colored glasses in my pocket when it comes to this proprietary solution.

Does anyone remember the first Apex DVD player? The ability to disable Macrovision provided a substantial increase in picture quality. Consumers got a rare win. Would people video tape the output of those players? Maybe. I never heard about it. And of course, the "Home taping is killing music" campaign is considered a quaint joke these days.

I used to own either that model or a later one. We used it to watch DVDs from Japan that wouldn't play on our North American DVD player due to differing region codes.

One more question - do you think that Pandora and Rhapsody know less about this subject than you? (no offense meant)

I'm sure their crystal balls are just as cloudy as ours.

It does appear that switching over to MQA at some point in the future (a la Tidal) wouldn't seem to be that much a big deal from their standpoint.

I would be wary of reading too much into their actions though.

After all, these companies as just retailers, selling whatever they get from record labels, in whatever format the record labels decides to provide it in.

If I'm not going to "read into", i.e. report on, what the major players in the industry *do*, are you suggesting that I should report on forum posts?

(I'm being serious)

I think there is a difference between reporting on what they do (or say) and making predictions based on their actions (or statements).

In other words, I disagree with your assumption that because Pandora and Rhapsody have announced non-MQA hi-res streaming services AND because these companies know more about the industry than we do, there will be non-MQA sources of hi-res music from the major suppliers of content for the foreseeable future.

I never said "always". I said for the foreseeable future.

Thank you. I've corrected my post.

I have to admit that I have no interest in the music released by the 3 majors. I'd imagine most audiophiles, demographically speaking, have no interest in new music from the big 3 either.

So why do you list a number of albums released by these companies on your Best of 2016 list?

ML's 33 1/3 More Favorite 2016 Albums | AudioStream

To be inclusive? To score points with our daughters?

OK you got me. Give me a count of how many of the records I own are from the big 3.

I'm not going to go down the entire list but three of the first four albums on your list were released by labels owned by Sony.

Those are the three albums on the list from the majors. When you want to make a point, it may make sense to work up the energy to know what you're talking about. It was 33 1/3 records long. Is that asking too much?

Really?

Kendrick Lamar is an Interscope/Universal artist and Sturgill Simpson records for Atlantic/Warner. I'm sure there's more if anyone wants to dig deeper.

The point here is that these three companies control the musical diets of a vast number of people, even those with your refined tastes. :)

Yes, I missed those. And your point is what? Exactly?

I added it to my original post while you were posting your reply.

Sure. As "Tom" pointed out, I do listen to music that is released by the big 3. The thing is it's a tiny % of the music I enjoy and it's all available through Tidal.

Tom is my real name so there is no need for quotes. That isn't my real picture though. :)

Hi Tom - nice to meet you.

Likewise.

Apologies for my crankiness. Your point re. the majors is a very good one and has made me think.

Cheers.

I also apologize for the somewhat pointed tone of some of my posts.

All the best,

Tom

You never saw the Betamax classic, "Mr. Ed Meets Catherine the Great"?

I think I saw it on Super 8.

You, crenca, are the poster child of uncivil. If you cannot recognize that, which appears to be the case, I admit that you and I have no basis for understanding one another.

Your posts (and private messages) appear to be often just as uncivil, if not more, than anything crenca has posted.

Yes. I can be uncivil when dealing with incivility. I consider this a fault.

Ah yes, the "I only hit him because he hit me first" defense. I used to use it with my mother when I was ten years old. :)

1 minute ago, daverich4 said:

For years HDTracks has been selling music at 24/88, 24/96 and 24/192. Now the new stuff tops out at 24/48. I'm not arguing about how it got to be higher resolution or even if it's worth it as far as sound. Something has changed in their business model and I'm not feeling that it's to the consumers benefit. 

Pop music on HDTracks is often at lower resolutions. 

Here are a few random examples:

Lana Del Rey - Born To Die - 2016 - 24/44.1

Lorde - Pure Heroine - 2014 - 24/48

Taylor Swift - 1989 - 2014 - 24/44.1

Katy Perry - Prisim - 2013 - 24/44.1

26 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

The Ten Years War

The first eight studio albums by Black Sabbath in vinyl with a crucifix containing all eight albums in MQA will be available September 29th. All have been on my MQA list.  I think its great MQA supporters can show their support by wearing the crucifix.

@Fitzcaraldo215 ?