IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

• 7 months later...
8 hours ago, mcgillroy said:

No it's Magico. I always was amazed by their meteoric rise from nowhere to worldwide recognition. The  speakers are not bad but way overpriced. Nonetheless somebody understood the market and evidently had the connections to make it happen.

I took this to be a reference to J. Valin's summertime romance with Raidho which lasted about a year or so then tossed aside for a new paramour.  He truly did take this unknown to front page prominence in a very short time.

(He with a home system comprised of multiple six figure bits of gear on long term loan)

I am biased (own them) but suggest that Magico made it's mark on their true excellence.

Am really enjoying your contributions, Mr. Hanson.

Best

Warren

2 hours ago, Jud said:

To be quite fair (or even just reasonable), thousands of A+ and SoX users benefit every day from mansr’s knowledge and work bringing DSD resampling capabilities to those pieces of software.

I sometimes share your wish that he might lean a little more toward the helpful and a little less toward the acerbic.  But overall I must say his participation here has been much to my benefit and that of many others.

+1

1 hour ago, mansr said:

I'd be up for it, but I'm afraid anything actually published would be creatively edited to cast me as a fool in front of Saint Bob. Unless Mr Lavorgna radically changes his attitude, I'll have to politely decline any participation in what can only end up a farce. However, if someone is serious about writing a critical piece on MQA, I'll gladly help out in any way I can.

Mansr,

You have a lot to offer this discussion and your particaption in an international debate would be welcome...just need to curb the aggression a tad...hey, we're with you!

wdw

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Charles Hansen said:

More Questions than Answers (MQA)

funny!  it appears the MQA folks are now just ignoring you/us as they are now at third base.  The strategy is so suspect...no reviews nor direct A/B comparisons for the unwashed but extravagant treatment for the audio glitterati.  I have respect for the opinions of JA, of Stereophile, and these on MQA are overwhelmingly positive...perhaps when we have a chance to hear this stuff in a controlled environment we may share his outlook but the marketing strategies of MQA have thwarted my attempts.

3 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

How does MQA Ltd get to third base without revenue? Even LG selling a million phones and other hardware manufactures selling 100,000 DACs this year isn't enough. 

Aren't they now embedded with two or three major labels, Tidal, HDTracks and a few others?

Just now, Rt66indierock said:

Again where is the revenue stream going to MQA Ltd? At some point you have to stop burning cash. In 2016 MQA Ltd's cash burn rate was about $360,000 a month. That can't go on forever.

Dunno...so odd how this is playing out...one one hand, MQA is just wonderful, the other B. Stuart is close to a sociopath.

3 minutes ago, kana813 said:

"Go to Amazon and buy Rebecca Pigeon's MQA cd. Rip it play it back with something that does not support MQA like iTunes or whatever. Then play it back with Audirvana or something else that supports MQA and the result is 24/176.4 from a 16/44.1 track. Then compare that to maybe the HD Tracks downloads at 24/96, 24/88.2 (I think the closest sounding to the MQA), or Bob Katz version at 24/176.4."

Of course you'll need to borrow an MQA DAC

Jokin' right?  

9 minutes ago, kana813 said:

No.

Are you afraid to listen?

Not at all...but you are suggesting I buy a CD from an artist i have little interest in, then an HDTracks download of the same music to compare the bonafides of a commercial product...so, you are joking!

2 minutes ago, Charles Hansen said:

Hi WDW,

I think this one was covered earlier in the thread:  https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30381-mqa-is-vaporware/?page=125&tab=comments#comment-691826

Cheers,

Charles Hansen

Hello Charles,

Always look forward to your comments and observations (love your gear) but your willingness to slang Stuart, as an individual, is interesting but also questionable.  

Is he truly such a duplicitous rascal?  

best

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If Meridian was going out of business and consumers would be effected, then that's helpful information.

Trudat...always words of a calm wisdom,  I understand why posters are railing that you be more proactive (some rudely so) but the unspoken is that you have provided a forum for all of these ideas to come forward without censure...for you to take a strong public position diminishes your value and this site's to our community at large.

• 7 months later...
5 minutes ago, mansr said:

He came to attempt a put-down with appeal to authority and hand-waving. That's not what I call discussion.

I do find it interesting that he appears to avoid engaging you in discussion or replying to your counter to his comments.  You are the one that can, as far as I can see, easily debate the technical issues with ease and confidence so avoiding a response to you surprising.

10 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

INSULAR???? Dear lord. Unlike the 3 70 year old full time employees of Stereophile...LOL.

Ok,....three seventy year old guys.....so JA, likely Herb (the guy who wrote he was broke and overdrawn in his Munich report) so that must leave M. Fremer.  

Sounds kinda freaky/funny when you put it like that.

39 minutes ago, Jim Austin said:

Sorry, I forgot about your objectivity. 

Jim,

This is a demeaning statement that you haven’t earned the right to make.   

Who in TF are you other than a guy who is employed by a magazine.  You have this sense of hurt and unjust treatment that suggests something narcissistic and is somewhat curious.

29 minutes ago, Indydan said:

Dale is a narcissistic person. It always has to be about him. He's right, everyone else is wrong. He has a very inflated sense of self importance. What a joke! 

Yes, he writes from a solely self assumed position of authority.

26 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

It's important to feed only the cochlear neurons of the 8th cranial nerve lest one gets a little dizzy. Vertigo sucks!

OK, this thread is seriously f&*ked up!

2 hours ago, rickca said:

I bet if they talked to Uptone Audio about their CA experience they could be convinced.  If manufacturers worry that they need to stick to trusted partners like the magazines, they need to understand the degree to which those publications have blown their credibility.

A two-way communications channel with your customers is incredibly powerful.  Most companies use things like Facebook primarily for outbound messaging only.

I sent an email to dCS (using their Contact US webpage) asking about the status of the Network Bridge USB output about a month after it was announced.  I never got a reply.  I ended up buying an Innuos Zenith SE instead.  If dCS had been more responsive, things might have turned out differently.

I also emailed dCS asking a straightforward technical question, as an owner of the Bridge, and never received a reply.

(one of the ironies of trying to sell dCS into my Northern West Coast North American market is that the slightly slacker/slightly ex-cigarette smoking stereo sales guys in my area seem so far less knowledgeable than many customers should expect so he/she can't have confidence they have a adequate knowledge on these issues...dCS, in its technical wording, is so far beyond these guys...well, in truth me too!)

The Bridge is amazing...BTW!

13 minutes ago, shtf said:

Mr. Atkinson.  While we have your attention in this thread, would you please:

1. Confirm or deny your initial MQA performance claims?
  2. Explain why Stereophile reviewers seem unwilling to share with us their in-depth thoughts on MQA's performance?

Thanks in advance.

Think I may have misjudged M. Atkinson.  

In my case, I countered, on the Stereophile site, the slightly deranged Dale Thorn when he  demeaned Chris calling him unethical and unprofessional.  I have never met Chris but in the few emails we've exchanged and being witness to his moderation on this site, I have only the greatest praise for him.  

Unethical is so far from his character as to be ridiculous.

So when JA deleted my posts, the first being simply factual, but leaving the clearly slanderous comment from that dull-witted moron D.T., I am forced to change my view on his moral character.

The action suggest a meanness I hadn't imagine he was capable of.  

So this little story goes to possibility there may be something betwixt the major authors in the print magazines, RH, JA and MQA, and the possibility that amounts of money may have been suggested if they were willing to jump on this MQA parade.

So JA is 70 and has a lifetime in low revenue print journalism so if it may have been suggested that a small, but reliable, revenue stream could become available if he offered his unblemished support of this  new tech and this becomes a wonderful retirement benefit.

Imagine MQA takes, say 1 cent from every bit of music extant, the order of magnitude of any reward to be distributed may be enormous.

Just saying!