IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, mansr said:

That could be just talk. Everybody seems to like boasting about how much effort they've made and how hard it was, no matter what the subject. From what I've seen, adding MQA to a software solution should be pretty straight-forward. Simply take the provided library and plug it into the processing chain like you would any other codec. If it takes more than a man-week, there is something seriously wrong with your overall system architecture. At least I was able to do it with no documentation or assistance whatsoever.

I agree, @damien78 of Audirvana Plus implemented the MQA software unfolding ages ago, and he's a one man dev-team.
Maybe he can shed some light as too how hard the integration was, if at  all. :)

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

In my personal experience I detect the following difference when I compare MQA with non-MQA versions.
MQA almost always sounds louder with more detailed highs.
The extra bit of loudness makes the music sound bigger, and possibly to some people more impressive too.

• 3 weeks later...

I said this elsewhere on the Forum. Yes, MQA does sound different, mostly quite a bit loader which gives the impression that the MQA version sounds more impressive/bigger with highs sounding more detailed.

Just now listened to Kenny Dorham album of Quite Kenny, there are 4 versions on Tidal as can be seen from the attached pic. Lets number them 1-4 from the left.

I'm using Audirvana Plus for playback which does the software unfold. So, my findings are based on the first unfold, maybe it will sound more different still through a MQA DAC.
Number 4 is the MQA version which is clearly louder than Numbers 1 and 3. Number 2 is very similar to MQA version in terms of loudness.

To me Number 3 is the best version, when I up the volume by 3db it sounds about the same level as the MQA, and also sounds more pleasant, definitely prefer it over MQA. For some reason Number 3 has missing tracks, so I'm using Number 1 instead for regular listening.

Anyone with Tidal, Audirvana+  or Roon can try this out too.
It would be interesting to know what others have to say.

IMG_2271.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, mansr said:

Darko mentions it (https://darko.audio/2018/06/all-exhale-exasound-adds-mqa-exogal-drops-it/) though he doesn't include the full text, and the first half of the post is about exaSound adding MQA.

You're right, he doesn't include the whole text in the main article but he does post it in full on his FB page.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/13/2019 at 6:10 PM, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Strereophile...All MQA, All the time..no matter the time, place or venue!

Mr. MQA at the Long Beach show:

"A 96K MQA file of Muddy Waters’ “Never Go Back Again” revealed just how much depth this lovely-sounding system could produce (even if MQA-haters are praying we go back, back, back to the pre-MQA era)."

https://www.stereophile.com/content/vandersteen-quatro-loudspeakers-and-m5-hpa-monoblocks-jeff-rowland-corus-stereo-preamplifier#tHMXfVrqVGvISCj0.99

I really wanted to listen to this amazing track by Muddy Waters to experience the same depth on my system but couldn't find it on Tidal or even on Google.
Anyone with any info, please?
Otherwise, I'm going to assume the sound emanated from a black hole!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Rt66indierock said:

I think Ken wasn’t going make a presentation with me in the audience. 

Opportunity missed, what a shame!
You should've waited outside the room and presented yourself once the MQA presentation had started. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am afraid it was obvious that MQA would win in the end. The most important decider is the content owner/provider (record/music labels such as Warner, Sony...) and I'm sure they have been supporting the format from day one. Almost all new DACs seem to come with MQA support too. This is the sad reality...

3 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

Back many years ago when video was changing from VCR to disc, from analog to digital, space was a critical matter.  Digital video was orders of magnitude more space hungry than audio.  It still is. Compression is still a critical issue with video.  It is in reality of little matter with audio and is becoming less so by the day.

Dolby made it's bones with compression and bought out Meridian's MLP.

It is apparent that Bob Stuart saw the success of Dolby and figured that a similar scheme involving audio processing would be a money maker.  The problem is that the scheme is at least twenty years behind the times.  The Genie has already been let out of the bottle.  People have been listening to Hi-Rez for years.  And file size has become a non issue.

How do you sell it? You claim it is lossless. You claim it corrects recording problems.  You claim it "deblurs".  You claim it sounds better than the original.  All BS that was not widely accepted.

So now what do you do?  You conspire with Warner to force it on the music consumer.

I have come to despise Bob Stuart for what he is doing to the music consumer.

I think it is a mistake to think that this is all just Bob Stuart's doing. He may have come up with the idea/format suggestion etc., but without the support and endorsement of the big music labels and content providers he couldn't have gotten very far.
It now seems even more obvious that he had the backing of probably all of the major music labels and the hardware manufacturers. This could also be seen by the massive and unquestionable support by the main music press.

Currently I live in Turkey and suddenly I lost access to Tidal, it is blocked here!
Apparently Tidal is trying to acquire a license to provide its streaming service in Turkey.

So, I have started using Spotify Premium. I must say, it is so much better in terms of choice of music and UI. No hi-res streaming (best is 320Kbs and it does sound quite reasonable), but Spotify allows me to access my local files as well, where I have lots of hi-res music.
Since I don't much care for MQA I don't miss Tidal one bit.
I won't be worrying about MQA format until it becomes the only format available (I am sure this is what it was designed for ultimately).