IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, daverich4 said:

There are lots of anti MQA posts in the Roon forums including long threads with @Danny (Roon COO) going toe to toe with the anti MQA members there. I have no knowledge if some individual posts are being deleted but @Danny would have the authority to remove posts and as far as I can tell, doesn’t generally seem to have the policy of doing so. 

Well I've noticed quite a few threads (mentioning MQA) that seem strangely incoherent, as if several posts are missing......

23 minutes ago, rn701 said:

Trying to decide between Tidal and Qobuz. Currently have both. The Qobuz price reduction is tempting, but you give up Tidal's personalized playlists and their auto play of similar artists (which is overcome with roon but not using native apps).

But I do not want MQA. In Tidal's app, I can set the upper limit to 'hi-fi'. If I set this, it still shows MQA selections. If I accidentally select one, or if there is only an MQA version, what do I get if I have the limit set to hi-fi and I play it? Do I get an unmolested cd quality file, or some kind of unfolded mqa containerized file?

Sadly the last one🤮

• 1 month later...

Was just looking up the terms of using the FLAC container:

What FLAC is not:

Lossy. FLAC is intended for lossless compression only, as there are many good lossy formats already, such as Vorbis, MPC, and MP3 (see LAMEfor an excellent open-source implementation).

DRM. There is no intention to add any copy prevention methods. Of course, we can't stop someone from encrypting a FLAC stream in another container (e.g. the way Apple encrypts AAC in MP4 with FairPlay), that is the choice of the user.

Seems to me that someone has not read these terms.

Have written to Monty Alexander of Xiph.org to get his two cents

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, sandyk said:

My understanding is that the team from HiFi Critic magazine also attended this show, and the only report back I have seen from one of their forum members didn't even mention MQA.

I will see if I can find out more.

Alex

They not only promote it they also haven't found out it's not lossless, as of the 19th.2020.

As a HiFi publication I find that a bit embarrassing 

MQA (hi-res): A lossless compression format that packages hi-res files for more efficient streaming. Used for Tidal Masters hi-res streaming.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/mp3-aac-wav-flac-all-the-audio-file-formats-explained

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
4 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

The FLAC container is a lossless system.  The MQA file inside is lossy.  And corrupts the original music, no matter what Bob says. 

I hope we are not seeing a resurgence of the MQA BS.  My hip boots are in storage.

The xiph.org site states:

• FLAC should be lossless. This seems obvious but lossy compression seems to creep into every audio codec. This goal also means that flacshould stay archival quality and be truly lossless for all input. Testing of releases should be thorough.

How can MQA then wrap a lossy file inside without xiph reacting ?

On 11/18/2020 at 7:47 PM, MikeyFresh said:

Exactly, and when Warner's albums have little stream revenue to show for all of this BS, this little experiment will have failed miserably, but that does require dropping the TIDAL subscription entirely.

They went out the toilet the day their customer"service" told Me that MQA was indeed lossless

On 11/19/2020 at 5:34 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I was sick and tired of all this tracking business and the tracking companies tracking what I tracked, so I got rid of it all here on AS. I don't want to be tracked, so I can't in good conscience track you guys who make this community what it is. 

P.S. I also love to see this in the new Safari. I encourage people to go to other sites and see what's being collected about them. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 10.38.47 AM.png

We just need You to abandon googleapis (Google promises that they are not using their API's to track - and MQA is lossless🤮)

On 11/20/2020 at 5:47 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Here are some pieces of information.

Funny how they always want to do things on the phone. Have been in touch with them several times. As soon as they have to write ANYTHING that is beyond marketing script they either go silent or want to do it on the phone. Funnily they do not want You to record the conversation.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, IT Freak said:

When starting from a 352.8k file
MQA's starts encoding not from 88.2k but from at least 176.4k 
as that sample rate is needed for the frequencies up to 88.2k 

At least that is what they are telling us.

You saved it on the last line.

What they actually lie to us about is that they keep the frequencies up to 44k/48k, samples them at 88/96k (another lie) 

On 12/16/2020 at 3:47 AM, wklie said:

This is by design.

1. With a non-MQA DAC, Roon correctly outputs 24/88.2kHz.

2. If you set in Roon your DAC as a MQA Renderer only, you force Roon to do MQA Core decoding, Roon correctly outputs 24/88.2kHz.  Your MQA Renderer correctly displays (not outputs) 44.1kHz.

3. If you set it as MQA Decoder + Renderer, in the absence of Roon DSP, volume leveling and multi-zone grouping, Roon will correctly leave the MQA signal unchanged.  This is similar to "MQA Passthrough" in Tidal desktop app.  Your MQA DAC displays (not outputs) 44.1kHz.

Part of the complication comes with Roon support for different types of MQA hardware, along with different users' needs for DSP, volume leveling and multi-zone playback.

Peter, You forgot one thing......

All of the above is pure marketing regurgitation.

1. We have never seen evidence of this being the correct output

2. Please show that any "decoding is going on - i.e. that it's not just an upsampling

3.Well this does depend heavily on what's in the "embedded" flags - no

All in all none of this has been shown beyond MQA marketing - which You are a part of.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...