IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, Rt66indierock said:

When there is an album I want (a prior post has a list available in Europe) encoded with MQA available in the United States I will buy it. Then I will make a copy and put it on my music laptop. I will make no claims about coping MQA files until I actually copy one.

They copy just like any other file and the copies play fine, whether with MQA-enabled DACs or others.  Surely, that is what makes them downloadable.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Jud said:

First tell me: Do you recognize these as the same song?  Then we'll go from there.

They share an identifiable melody and a title based on that melody but I do not regard them as the same song.  

Kal Rubinson

3 hours ago, Jud said:

How did you identify the melody as being shared?  One is sung, the other played on an instrument.  They have different rhythms.  Are they even the same notes (i.e., same key/pitch)?

Common harmonic progressions although time and pitch are shifted and variable.  Its like looking into the mirror and "seeing" my father although we differ in so many ways and are not the same person.

Kal Rubinson

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, esldude said:

You think that has anything to do with the size of the Organ of Corti being such that it really only works to about 15 or 16 khz?   The size being physically related to the sound frequency detected.  The size of the basilar membrane runs out of a place for the sound at 20khz if that.  I mean they gave a Nobel prize to the fellow who figured this out. 

This is true.

3 hours ago, AJ Soundfield said:

Feeling "relaxed" and all that 85kHz Japanese pseudo-science  is another story.

Indeed.  They even admit that they have no explanation of how such signals are transduced.  

Kal Rubinson

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, firedog said:

Acc'd to their search engine about 1120 of 1250 albums are NOT analog based. But I'm not sure if that does or doesn't include DSD extracted from SACD that was originally in some other format before SACD. If you ask for "not analog sourced, never available as SACD" you get 300 albums.  

Those would seem for sure to be ""DSD"". But then you have to look and see how it was produced: was it recorded to DSD and just edited, meaning it is 99% native DSD, or was it mixed in analog, or converted to DXD and then back to DSD. 

Maybe TedB can enlighten us on this. 

You might take a look at the tags on the album pages which say "Digitized at 64fs," "Digitized at DSD256," "Digitized at DSD64" in comparison to those that say  "Digitized at Analog to DSD256," etc..

Kal Rubinson

• 3 months later...
15 minutes ago, crenca said:

I actually think this is the case.  However, what took him so long?  

With all due deference to my editor, these are independent contributions and, as far as I know, unsolicited but welcomed by him.

Kal Rubinson

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Hugo9000 said:

Choosing that recent "As We See It" was an editorial decision, you commented that the writers were informed only hours before the public announcement.  

Sheesh!  AWSI was written by Jon Iverson and, while I do not know with certainty that he was completely unaware of the impending sale, the editor's decision to publish it is not germane since he has always encouraged individual and, even, controversial contributions.

38 minutes ago, Hugo9000 said:

The only shift was in choosing that last piece, and publishing the accompanying letters, as far as I'm aware.  No writers at S-phile have changed positions on MQA, have they?

Yes, I have.

39 minutes ago, Hugo9000 said:

I would say that It's illogical to think that the EDITOR of a publication would find out with no notice. 

It is possible.  Stereophile has been sold by one publisher to another several times over the decades and I suspect that some have been without prior editorial notice. 

Kal Rubinson

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

You will enjoy the MC mixes on the DVD-As.

Yes.  I have but it will be easier after I rip them.

56 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

The stereo RE-mixes are, eh, digital sounding.

OK.  I never listen to stereo if there is a decent multichannel alternative.

Kal Rubinson

• 7 months later...
2 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

I have lots of 2L recordings from Morten Lindberg and redbook from them has never even crossed my mind.  

Agreed.  OTOH, while I have only multichannel recordings from 2L and, probably, would never have acquired any had they been only CDs, there are many among them that I love and would have missed.

Kal Rubinson