IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

10 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

That's a really cool idea. If someone wants to pay to play MQA, the company could sell them a plug-in. Rather than all users of software paying for the embedded license such as what's in Audirvana. 

This is in fact exactly why I haven't upgraded to 3.x. yet. I paid for Dirac so I can use it as an AU plug-in with Audirvana.  Seems ideal, and the plug-in standards (AU and VTS) are already in place.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/12/2019 at 10:50 AM, Ralf11 said:

OTOH, rumors are that the Vanatoo are quite good speakers.

I have not heard them, but they are o my short list for an office system.

On 7/12/2019 at 10:57 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I Believe @wgscott has some Vanatoo speakers.

I have the first generation.  They are accurate to about 40Hz and then don't try to do what they can't do.  In an office setting, low bass probably isn't what you want, but you could pair it with a sub.  Above 40Hz they are near-field flat, thanks to a very modest application of DSP.  The trade-off (if memory serves) is that, in the process, it resamples everything to 48kHz.  If you can live with that, then they are great. (They are, by definition, not capable of bit-perfect playback, as the DSP and resampling is hard-wired.)  The only other minor quibble I have is the first generation has no remote.  I think the newer one does.  

To summarize my impression:  Near-field, they sound like goo headphones without having anything clamped on your head

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...