IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

On 5/16/2018 at 5:21 PM, mansr said:

That could be just talk. Everybody seems to like boasting about how much effort they've made and how hard it was, no matter what the subject. From what I've seen, adding MQA to a software solution should be pretty straight-forward. Simply take the provided library and plug it into the processing chain like you would any other codec. If it takes more than a man-week, there is something seriously wrong with your overall system architecture. At least I was able to do it with no documentation or assistance whatsoever.

Well, in fairness to Roon, they did require that users would still be able to use DSP after the first unfold of the MQA file. AFAIK, they are the only one doing that. However, I'm on file with them as being, I think, one of the only Alpha testers that doesn't like MQA and won't test any features that require using MQA. 

ChrisG

Bend, OR

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, JoeWhip said:

I am beginning to think that the bloom is off the rose for Amir at ASR. The MQA has provoked some real vitriol towards Amir, some of which was over the top. More interesting is some of the blowback he got for the JBL speaker review which found, shall we say, less than stellar measurements. Nonetheless, he recommended them after actually listening to them and liking them. Almost like a subjectivist reviewer saying don’t mind the measurements, it sounds good. Fascinating.

Yeah, interesting how he pulled that stunt. Then again, I'd hardly expect him to tell people not to buy a product his company sells to customers. #Hypocrite 

ChrisG

Bend, OR

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, LarryMagoo said:

I would never touch a piece of PS Audio kit ever simply due to their MQA creation!

I stopped buying their stuff when they introduced the Bridge v1 for the PerfectWave DAC and it wouldn't play gapless music. Turns out they didn't know that was a "thing". 

ChrisG

Bend, OR

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

I think Roon needs to support streaming services if it wants new or renewed subscriptions/customers.  For Roon to cut Tidal loose at this point makes no sense.  Let's see what new streaming services come out and how many of those Roon will support.

It's not really about which streaming services Roon supports, it is which streaming services will work with Roon so that their catalog can interact with the Roon software so users see both their local library and the streaming service's library as one. 

ChrisG

Bend, OR

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

So if you subscribe to Roon, who pays royalties to MQA,  you can apply DSP? Seems like another layer of cost for the music consumer.

I realize that you receive benefits for promoting Roon, but I would not touch Roon with a ten foot pole. Tidal and Roon are propping up a scheme that screws the music consumer. Without Tidal and Roon, MQA has virtually nothing.

That is just my personal perspective. I could not in good conscience support anyone that supports MQA.

Technically, Roon only pays royalties to MQA when the user plays a file that is MQA encoded. If you don't use Tidal w/ Roon, there are no royalties being paid. 

ChrisG

Bend, OR