MQA is Vaporware

Rt66indierock

c. 2018 in Japan:

"Hi-Res CD is a high-fidelity CD which combines MQA technology and UHQCD format (currently available exclusively in Japan only) together for the first time in the world. With this combination, Hi-Res CD realizes the high-resolution and compatibility at the same time."

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/feature/Worlds_First_HiRes_CD_by_Universal_Music_Japan

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This is a human problem, not just audio.

Although there are many versions of this that play out around the world, the unifying principle is: somebody gets paid. A lot.

And by the time the music stops, payday is long past and you can't claw-back time. Sorry to be so cynical, audio pals...

...air is a distribution "platform"?

Perhaps we have this all wrong and should be considering how temp and the constituent gasses that comprise "air" are impacting the sound. Is flatulence net-positive or negative to the MQA Sound, do you think? 

28 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

So what would be a clever way to get rid of MQA ?

...per the article to which you linked, and business/life in general: you stop using it (DVD-A), or you out-compete it (iPod). It only exists to make money. If it doesn't make money, it ceases to exist, or is relegated to a niche market (sorry SACD--I still love ya).

You asked for clever; I gave you simple. Sorry...

This link is 404, but is this a new story or the one from 2015? He had "history" with Tidal...

25 minutes ago, jmsent said:

but wouldn't it make sense to at least send an email requiring confirmation of account reactivation before charging the account?

How about an email confirming online cancellation of the account? I was left guessing.

I quit Tidal Christmas day and so far, so good, but I'm checking CC bill for Tidal for a while. Sorry for your pain...

35 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

The only time I watch that gentleman's videos is when someone posts them to make a point.  Frankly, they strike me as marketing BS.

Same here, but I think he made an honest report: he doesn't really like MQA, but many customers expect it. If as many people wrote to say I would buy your gear if only it didn't have MQA stuff, one presumes he/they/others might abandon MQA. 

I do think it's possible that MQA may run it's course and fade, but it takes time. These things sometimes generate heat, but they can't burn money indefinitely if the numbers aren't there. 

It probably helps a little to keep banging the no-MQA drum, but they currently have the bigger megaphone.

39 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

MQA is no good for the music consumer.

...no good for some music consumers. It's just jargon or marketing to many/most, I would say. Most people don't understand it at all, and likely do not even recognize what it does. 

43 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

Cancelling your subscription to Tidal will send a message. 

I quit Tidal on Christmas day. I added a note in my cancellation screen, but I am not under the impression that someone read that note and thought: "We had better stop this MQA BS...even MarkusBarkus is mad. Get Jay-Z on the line."

The audio mags would be huge, although the online world seems to be making a good run. 

I checked that distrokid link above a bit and there were a few pretty snide comments for the owner re: MQA, which I thought was hopeful. Not everyone is on the blue pill.

...I just ripped through that article: it's dopey. It's certainly not a ranking based on quality, and the #1 vs. #7 ranking must be based on many, unspecified assumptions about test system, target user, etc.

It's a fluff piece. 

...you prefer the Kalita over the Hario dripper? I mean, while listening to non-MQA music in the morning. 😉

1 minute ago, botrytis said:

No MQA is chicory coffee :D Not even real coffee.

...more like the beans the civets crap out.

21 minutes ago, LarryMagoo said:

I've used every other player software and to my experience they cannot hold a candle to Roon. 

Have you tried TAS? I could hold the candle for you, so you don't extinguish it with tears of joy. 😉