IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

7 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I was not going to respond to all these speculations about the the recent sale and MQA but this one is easy.  The writers were informed about this sale only hours before it was announced in public.  It is illogical to think that it could have influenced statements already in print.  

Choosing that recent "As We See It" was an editorial decision, you commented that the writers were informed only hours before the public announcement.  

As far as illogical thinking goes, there is nothing in my brief post to suggest the possibility of influence on things that have already occurred.  lol

The only shift was in choosing that last piece, and publishing the accompanying letters, as far as I'm aware.  No writers at S-phile have changed positions on MQA, have they?

I would say that It's illogical to think that the EDITOR of a publication would find out with no notice.  Unless he is not respected at all by any of the responsible parties to the sale.

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

37 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Sheesh!  AWSI was written by Jon Iverson and, while I do not know with certainty that he was completely unaware of the impending sale, the editor's decision to publish it is not germane since he has always encouraged individual and, even, controversial contributions.

Yes, I have.

It is possible.  Stereophile has been sold by one publisher to another several times over the decades and I suspect that some have been without prior editorial notice. 

I wasn't suggesting anything nefarious.  I don't necesarily agree with JA on much (other than his positive comments through the years about some KEF loudspeakers haha!--my favorite speaker company along with the defunct Apogee), but I don't have any reason to question his professional integrity.  I don't think that suggesting that an editor might broaden an issue by publishing a divergent opinion, either because it will serve the readers of that publication, or to serve a publisher's or prospective new publisher's wish for a broader viewpoint, is any sort of indictment of the editor.  Isn't that part of an editor's job?  Now, if JA himself had penned an editorial that was a sudden and unexplained about-face, that might be a bit different, but that's not what has happened.  He published a "guest" editorial with a different viewpoint. 

Edited to add:  In that first post that you replied to, I should have said "possibly," instead of "probably," however, as it's certainly possible that the timing is merely coincidental.  Or, if there was any sort of "cause and effect," it could have been the reverse:  that the new buyer chose to make the purchase partly because of the recent broadening of coverage on a contentious topic.

Also to add:  I was under the impression that you personally had never cared for MQA, so I wasn't aware that you had changed your views on it.  You certainly have never beat the drum for MQA, unless I'm very much mistaken! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm curious if anyone with the technical chops has compared the HDCD process to MQA encoding.  It sounds as though the "deblurring" thing is a red herring to distract from the idea that everything about MQA is copied from the HDCD process and its patented technology.  In the case of HDCD, it was supposed to encode 20 bits of resolution into a 16 bit format, and there was also a claim of backward compatibility, but ignoring the negative effects on accuracy and transparency if the decoding (or unfolding haha) did not take place.

HDCD was also included, eventually, on DAC chips from several manufacturers, as MQA now will be by ESS (ESS, by the way, sounds as bad as MQA/Meridian/BS with their inflation of their own importance to tech through the years.  ESS has nothing historically on Burr Brown, TI, and several others, even if their current DACs might be amazing.  My only personal experience with ESS is in my cheapo ($85) SMSL iDEA which I use with my KEF M400 headphones--also cheapo, purchased them on Black Friday last year for $79 lol--which sound lovely together haha).

Just as an aside, as I sit here pondering various matters and listening to veils being lifted in Vänskä's glorious Mahler Das Lied von der Erde (BIS CD-681) on my state of the art, $1 000 000 sound system featuring KEF Muon loudspeakers, I wonder why we never see photos of equipment under review in situ in the writer's own listening space.  It always seems to be a token glamour shot provided by the manufacturer. 

Muon.jpg.6e51eb0c4b5a05583079e57471b78af5.jpg

/s lol

Edited to add:  I can recall one Hi-Fi writer who has shared pics at least occasionally, and there is that foul-mouthed person with the bad temper who likes turntables with videos of his messy home and all of that expensive equipment... :D lol

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

first, this rubbish.... 

Reissue in Hi-Res CD format (UHQCD format x MQA technology). Features the 192kHz/24bit DSD master in 2014, using UK original master tapes. The DSD master is available in 352.8kHz/24bit high resolution (perfect for MQA-enabled audio players). Comes with lyrics and a description. Green color label coating. Comes in a slim case packaging. *The disc can also be played on regular CD players in UHQCD 44.1kHz/16bit resolution. However, MQA-enabled hardware/software is necessary to harness the full potential of this Hi-Res CD.

zr8li21.jpg

bVw6Q3e.jpg

OMG, we finally see actual "deblurring!"  But it's not from MQA, it's the result of going from CD to HQCD, and then even more deblurring by going to UHQCD!  Just look at those waveforms in the second image you uploaded!  WOW!

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

Archie and Paul Miller proved there is aliasing and artifacts. Poor JA simply did not have the chops to do proper measurements

and he was shown up. Not much more to say about it.

The only other explanation is that he had no intention of doing proper measurements in order to show MQA as a viable

technology.

A truly humiliating episode in Stereophile's history.

Yes, I read Paul Miller's articles and Archimago's, my point was that if one accepts JA's measurements as he described them, wouldn't that have "proved" that the assertion of any sort of time-domain correction wasn't possible?  So he used the measurement to "prove" one aspect, but in the process, (unintentionally) debunked the other aspect.  Was he aware of the contradiction, and is that why he proceeded to declare that "listening" was the "only" way to test the time-domain aspect?

1 hour ago, Fokus said:

A graphed FFT of a piece of music, mostly likely averaged over many seconds, is a very crude measure, whereas the fabled time domain correction, if present at all, is extremely subtle and will be totally invisible on such a graph.

Would you say that it is correct to use a term like "exact" or "exact match" between two such very crude measurements?  And to conclude that a crude measurement is "proof" of anything?

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Jud said:

It was years ago, so I don't have a link and don't remember the product. Perhaps Ted does, since it apparently caused him to change web copy.

I was in a dealer's listening room that had the HFTs.  Didn't hear anything notable, though the dealer was excited about them at the time.  A couple of months later they were gone, unremarked by the dealer.  I didn't notice a change in the room's sound.

Apologies for the OT, but I think the relationship between MQA and the Synergistic marketing is that both require a "willing suspension of disbelief" that to my mind isn't borne out by my listening experience or any data I've seen. (MQA at least does provably alter the signal.)

Here is the article:

https://www.audiostream.com/content/synergistic-research-high-frequency-transducer-and-frequency-equalizer

and your comment:

https://www.audiostream.com/comment/503310#comment-503310

I just googled "audiostream synergistic research quantum tunneling" and there it was :D

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, firedog said:

I don't think so. He'd gain kill the principals, gain control and really take over the market (thru threats/blackmail) and then we really would be stuck only with MQA. 

I think he'd draw the line at pushing MQA.  He does have a moral code, you know! :D 

25 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

I also find DSD the best digital based on split mic feed testing.  DSD sounds like music.

I agree that it's superior to MQA.  But perhaps you didn't mean to let that slip?  lol

6 hours ago, FredericV said:

OMG facebook is thinking this reply is spam, in a topic where Mark Waldrep is also present:

image.png.d4dcf20546133a7eaeadc506593024ec.png

Now some junkie is going to review my post:
https://tech.slashdot.org/story/19/02/25/2247249/facebook-moderators-are-routinely-high-and-joke-about-suicide-to-cope-with-job-says-report

You probably triggered this from facebook by using the words "hack," "data," and "scam," following those words with a link haha!