IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

53 minutes ago, Norton said:

You may be correct from a theoretical point of view, but that's no practical use to today's listener.

To repeat my previous question, other than Tidal/MQA, who is actually offering 96 kHz classical music streaming today?  I looked at Qobuz for example, as far as I can see from their site, the implication at least is that anything beyond RBCD is only offered as a purchased download.

That is not quite correct - Qobuz offers the Sublime+ package which gives Hi-Res 24-bit FLAC/ up to 192kHz streaming.

I do not have that package, so I cannot comment on how well it streams in practice.

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, knickerhawk said:

Thanks, church_mouse, for sharing your experience. I hope you're not forever pissed at me now.  :$  We have some overlapping taste. I'm a Max Richter fan and like the Four Seasons album he did, so I'll go give that one a try and report back. Of course, this boils down to some mix of personal preference and system. YMMV as they say, and I respect that and applaud you for trying and sharing. One thing I will note is that your description of the signature of the MQA sound is not that different from what I'm experiencing as well. However, what is coming across to you as "splashy" and "harsh" and too "up-front" etc. is coming across to me as revealing and actually presenting more detail. The structure of our responses, so to speak, don't seem too far off, though. Thanks again, and sorry for getting your hopes up for a personal improvement.

Your postings were helpful - they encouraged me to try something. 

The "sound signature" of MQA I was hearing reminded me of a Naim\Neat system I used to have - one evening, after getting back from listening to a concert at Birmingham Symphony Hall I decided the upfront, grab you where it hurts sound I had was no longer for me - an expensive epiphany!

David

1 minute ago, firedog said:

That's a basic system?:)

High end DAC and good powered speakers...?

I guess I used "basic" because I used to have a quite expensive Naim separates system with large separate power supplies, so reducing the number of boxes right down does seem "basic". 

David

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Norton said:

It strikes me though that, in your listening report, you are as much comparing Tidal streaming  vs replay from local storage as you are comparing MQA with RBCD.  Much as I value Tidal, it’s immediately obvious to me that the SQ is not as good as from local file replay.  A better comparison would be MQA vs 16/44 within Tidal, or indeed to put your experience in context by also comparing your local CD Rip  with the 16/44 Tidal version.

I can't speak for DMelby but, although the point you make about local v streaming is valid in part, in my instance some of my testings were Tidal MQA v Qobuz 16/44, with both through Audirvana (so first unfold only).  I still preferred the non-MQA version. Of course, it could be that Qobuz streaming sounds better than Tidal through Audirvana - I have never specifically tested for that.

I have read Miguelito's reports of some MQA albums sounding better (albeit, possibly not because of the MQA process per se) but, to my ageing ears, MQA does something to the sound which DMelby described very well.

I can't test any longer because I cancelled my Tidal subscription in favour of Qobuz.

David

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...