IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

22 hours ago, shtf said:

Maybe one day a former Stereophile reviewer with some integrity and listening skills, if such a one exists, will write a variation on Stereophile magazine.  

There'd definitely be some money for that author.  Oops.  I hope that idea doesn't jeopardize anybody's "reputation" and retirement plan. :)

We already have that person [though he's not ex-Stereophile]. It is Archimago and his blog.

33 minutes ago, shtf said:

Why, Jim Austin of course.  Why else would Atkinson choose Jimmy to take the helm at Stereophile?  Unless you're insinuating that it's not really all about the music at Stereophile.  Are you?  :)

I would think that it was Paul Miller who picked Jim, or at the very least had the final say. [I say this with all due respect to John Atkinson; my comments are not meant to be in any way critical of him. It's more the case that it's been my observation that bosses/owners make these kinds of decision, rather than [even high-level] employees.]

MORE IMPORTANT, in my mind, is the fact that Stereophile recently reviewed an affordable product. And when I say ''affordable,'' I mean to you and me, not as in Stereophile's definition [e.g., ''though this amplifier fails to support MQA -- the greatest development in audiophilia since oxygen-free cooper -- we give it props for being an affordable option at a very reasonable $2,500 [base model; chassis enclosure and output transistors not included].

Anyway, back to my point. I was pleasantly shocked a few weeks back when Stereophile reviewed the Klipsch RP-600M bookshelf speakers [$549]. Here, I am hoping that this is also Mr. Miller's influence and that he intends to make Stereophile and its sister sites a little more relevant to audiophiles with normal, human-scale incomes. 

I am very hopeful in that regard. As for Mr. Austin, since he has a doctorate in physics, it is clearly not his intellectual capabilities holding him back from understanding the realities of MQA.

4 hours ago, bluesman said:

...But I have a bit of trouble with the Carpenters and ABBA as reference source material :) .  I'd suggest checking out Wes Montgomery's California Dreamin' album on A&M to hear what they could do with a heartbreakingly dull set of performances. It's a Van Gelder / Creed Taylor production with one of the greatest studio bands in history - Herbie Hancock, Wayne Andre, Bucky Pizzarelli, Richard Davis, Grady Tate, Ray Barretto etc.

I am with you on ABBA and the Carpenters [though the latter isn't at the same level of abject suckitude, since Karen Carpenter had talent], but I have to step in and defend Wes Montgomery's California Dreamin'  [which was on Verve, not A&M]. I'll agree with you that, as easy listening/smooth jazz, we're not talking about breaking any ground here. But I'd argue that the [unique, wonderful] tone he got out of his guitar makes anything by Wes Montgomery worthwhile. Doubly so since he died so young. Interestingly, that album, which charted in 1966, has just been reissued on vinyl by Impulse Records, though it seems to be available only in Europe.  OK, sorry for off-topic.

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

It is intended to assist in search efforts for those who want to find such reports in the future.

Duh. Thanks, Kal. As a web guy, I should've picked up on the keywording. I still have a quibble with the fact that most of the posts are content-free. I would analogize that readers who are referred to his posts by Google will have the search equivalent of a meh date -- when they get there, there's no there there. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

(EDIT: I see Pierre and I posted the same/similar thing at same time. Great minds think alike!)

NOW THERE ARE TWO DOTS! 

Our favorite legacy publication has a review of the Cambridge Audio EVO 150 streamer. On the second page of the article, the reviewer goes to town listening to multiple MQA versions of the same album. This of course begs the question: How can there be multiple MQA versions of an album when supposedly the intent of MQA is to stipulate to the listener that he/she is listening to the ONE AND ONLY TRUE AND APPROVED file.  This seems like an underreported crack in the MQA p̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶l̶i̶e̶s̶ story.

FURTHER, apparently there are now two lights, something of which I was previously unaware. Green dot means engineer approved, blue dot means artist approved.

I don't want to give this nonsense more air, nor do I want to inadvertently violate any policies Chris might have, so I won't quote from or link to the article, But if you go to the home page of that audiophile mag which starts with stereo and ends with phile, and scroll down to the EVO 150 review, please see if you are not as confused as I am. (Indeed, one disruptive commenter is asking why it is that upsampled files seem to always be called out as such, except when they are MQA, and he wonders why that is.)

Me, I wonder what's up with the multiple MQA versions and also the two dots. I HAVE AN IDEA. Let's refer to MQA from now on as "MQA 2 dots." That will, as the Brits say, take the piss out of RS and co.

• 2 months later...
On 12/1/2021 at 10:40 AM, yahooboy said:

A question, You say an octave above redbook. Redbook goes to 20 kHz, an octave above that is at 40 kHz. But if one looks at the measurements where the dreaded "MQA gap" is present it seems that Actual frequency response only goes to approx. 24 kHz.

Or have I gotten this wrong? 

Strictly speaking, redbook CD goes up to 22.05 kHz, as per Nyquist. By definition, the Nyquist frequency is 22.05 kHz, because that is half the sample rate is 44.1 kHz.

• 4 months later...
On 3/29/2022 at 10:13 AM, Samuel T Cogley said:

I can't imagine what Scoggins could have said to you over the phone to make you believe he'd changed somehow.  With all due respect (and I mean that), he totally played you.

But what's more unbelievable to me is he now posts as the Chief Executive Officer at Nextscreen, LLC and somehow he still doesn't feel any need to dial back the disingenuousness.

This makes me really question the integrity of the publications under his control.

It's really sad that Lee is allowed back. If Lee can come back, can the objectivists come back too?

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One of the underlying (and, quite frankly, insane) assumptions being promulgated by the MQA proponents -- and, indeed, an unspoken tenet that underpins all modern audiophile culture -- is the belief that there is some "hidden music" deep inside whatever source one is playing,

The hobby actively (not tacitly; actively!) promotes the idea that if one somehow gets the "right" file (bit depth, sampling rate, media it's stored on, humidity in the room, today's stock prices, what Mom is making for dinner) and plays it on the "right" (meaning most expensive) equipment, new notes, passages and details will be revealed.

However, this is not the case with most recordings. Why would there be stuff "hidden" in a recording and how would it get there? Did George Martin go tell George: "Stand ten feet to the left and whisper 'Yoko stole my digestive bisquit.'?"

Sure, If you take a Beethoven symphony and play it on better equipment, it will sound better, and there will be a revelation of new details because so much is going on; there are so many instruments playing at once, dynamics, etc. etc.

To conclude, my point is less about the technical side of things and more about the blatant idiocy of the idea that a producer back in the day who wanted to sell as many records as possible would go to the trouble of "hiding" things that they thought were good.

JFC, THIS IS ONE REASON THEY COMPRESS THE CRAP OUT OF MODERN MUSIC. So that nothing is "hidden" when you listen to it on your earbuds or phone.

[To loop back to my Beatles non-example, when the Beatles wanted you to hear something, they made sure you heard it. Q.v. "cranberry sauce."]

EDIT: The idea that we're not hearing everything made sense in the 1950s, '60s and '70s, when there were clear limitations in source material (i.e., vinyl and cassette). That is no longer valid today, with digital sources and audio reproduction technology now mature, but audiophile culture still carries forward as its raison d'etre this idea from the Julian Hirsch era.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2023 at 12:20 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I was hesitant to allow the posts to be published, because the goal is pretty clear. However, I error on the side of publishing, rather than be accused of withholding pro-MQA comments. Dumb I know.

Why do we care what the pro-MQA people think about whether you publish their comments or not?

This is precisely why the technique of ECL and the BS lobby works!

We are very kinda-sorta self aware, as in "Ho ho ho ECL, we see what you're doing here. You're luring us into a rhetorical trap. We see you. PAUSE. OK, now we'll jump into your trap and start debating this all over again."

Why do we always take the bait?

On 3/3/2023 at 1:07 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I care because people will see their comments deleted or hidden, screenshots them, post them on pro MQA groups, and discredit the work that has been done here. People may get the idea that I’m hiding the “real” benefits of MQA, when I’m not hiding anything. 

Do the pro-MQA people give Audiophile Style credit for this?

Do the pro-MQA people moderate their tone because you're welcoming to them and happy to engage in rational debate?

Do the pro-MQA people promise to not pull the football away again and then. . . pull the football away again?

Have the pro-MQA people stopped incentivizing trolls and anonymous posting by the usual suspects and their fellow travelers?

Have the pro-MQA people showed ANYTHING in the 1022 pages of this thread that indicate they have ANY plans to "grow up"? Well, why should they when they are getting attention, oxygen, which is what they need to survive another day.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Archimago said:

I certainly agree with the latter; the worship of target FR curves rather than seeing them as a potential options that one has a chance of finding enjoyable is as simplistic as "one measurement" THD+N/SINAD. 

Let's not go apespit jumping on that often cranky guy who runs that other forum. Every site has its pluses and minuses. We come here to discuss MQA and we all certainly appreciate that Chris has been a major industry voice on this important issue. (As have you, Arch.)

However, If we want to discuss, say, USB isolation devices, or cables -- i.e., the stuff that used to be fodder for the discontinued objectivist forum here on AS -- well, this is not the forum for that. That's a business decision Chris made; I understand it and accepted it. 

All I'm saying is, let's keep some perspective here. Different strokes for different folks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...