IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

Here's the direct link: MQA looks bad for music. Let me explain.

Michael Lavorgna's response is in post #505.

Thank you for the link. This a very articulate statement of the obvious. But it's called "capitalism" not "rentier capitalism." If you want to understand what "rentier capitalism" is read Michael Hudson's outstanding book https://www.amazon.com/Killing-Host-Financial-Parasites-Bondage-ebook/dp/B014IAV9MK/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1484407865&sr=1-1&keywords=michael+hudson

The rentier capitalists in today's world (all countries) are first and foremost the financial institutions, and second, the large corporations. Their huge lobbying budgets and government appointees (think Geitner, Tillerson, Paulson, the list goes on forever) ensure government policies such as tax code and regulations will guarantee the prosperity of their businesses. There is no need to contribute to the economy, you prosper through preferential treatment (think bailouts, stock buybacks, tax advantaged transactions, 0% interest rate). A "land grab" is taking public assets (railroad right-of-ways, mining and drilling rights, government infrastructure like toll roads, water supplies, airports, etc.) and giving them to private entities at a price below their value or conveniently enabling the creation of monopolies by transferring ownership from the government to private entities. They call this "privatization" and it's supposed to be good because everyone knows private businesses are much more efficient and all this will be good for the public - trust me.

I think this is a fascinating topic and I adamantly believe rentier capitalists are the parasites sucking life out of the economy today. It sounds good to label MQA a rentier capitalist "This is rentier capitalism, serving only to suck money out of the system, and stifling creativity in the process. It’s detrimental to society." It sounds good to say this is "an outright land grab."

Maybe I'm being dense, but what's the connection between "rentier capitalism" "land grab" and MQA? He calls MQA a monopoly. Really???? So far they only have one label signed and I don't see any artificial barriers to entry. Of course they would like to collect fees for their patented process wherever they can, but that doesn't make them a monopoly. As far as I can tell that is the essence of Mr. Coolinson's objection to the travesty of MQA.

I would suggest Mr. Coolinson brush up on his economic theory before he attacks MQA on those grounds.

That said, I stand by the above evaluation of the overall character of his (and just about all other "audiophile press") work vis-a-vis methodology, overall releavance and trustworthiness, etc.. !

So What's the point? Anyone with half a brain should be able to understand the inherent conflict of interest and interpret the information/opinions accordingly. More importantly, that's true of everything you see on much more important topics than MQA. I know of very few information sources that are not advertiser supported (including Computer Audiophile), and they have little chance of survival. Would you like to block the audiophile press from the internet? Why not block CNN and all the other information sources and instead deliver "unbiased" state sponsored information? Seems to be what Donald wants to do.

I am not sure I follow. I did not make a causal link to advertisements and all the reasons many view "the audiophile press" as they do. It could be a reason, buy I myself don't actually believe that advertising = anti-consumer stance by some sort of logical necissity. You are correct, we all (to a greater or lessor degree) "filter"...

I haven't been following every post made to this thread, but I did read every post from around page 25. Everything I remember seeing was either an attack or defense of Mr. Lavorgna's integrity. That lack of integrity was always attributed to the fact he worked for an advertiser sponsored site. Maybe I'm missing something, but that's all took away from my time reading this stuff today. This is the first time I've visited the thread, and I don't see any reason for returning. Just the opinion of a disinterested third party, but not what I was expecting from the topic "Is MQA Vaporware."

I haven't been following every post made to this thread, but I did read every post from around page 25. Everything I remember seeing was either an attack or defense of Mr. Lavorgna's integrity. That lack of integrity was always attributed to the fact he worked for an advertiser sponsored site. Maybe I'm missing something, but that's all took away from my time reading this stuff today. This is the first time I've visited the thread, and I don't see any reason for returning. Just the opinion of a disinterested third party, but not what I was expecting from the topic "Is MQA Vaporware."

Sorry, my mistake. The topic of this thread is not "Is MQA Vaporware?" The topic is "MQA is Vaporware". Now it all makes sense.

I hope that doesn't mean I'm trolling and shouldn't be allowed on the site.

Thanks! That MQA/Master version sounds amazing; much better than the original (?) lossless file or CD. :) Which is not to say that at least some of the MQA/Master (and remastered) stuff on Tidal sounds notably worse than the corresponding lossless 16/44 version..

Are you allowed to post on MQA or music in this thread?

Apparently.. What's your problem?

No problem. It's refreshing to see something interesting and relevant. This is the first time I've visited this thread. Just wondering what people post. It looked like all that was here was repetitive personal insults and opinions about what's right or wrong.

I see. It tends to be kind of interesting though. ;) Anyway, Tidal's new MQA content appears to have triggered these fresh discussions about MQA. I think it's relevant to evaluate the actual quality of said content..

I couldn't agree more about the value in discussing the actual quality of MQA content. But it seems like you and the person you replied to are the only posts of that nature. The rest of it I find tedious, boring and worthless.

All I know this back and forth between between CA members and ML wasn't good for CA as a whole. From being a place to learn and grow the hobby it was pretty darn embarrassing to say the least. It went to far and Chris should have moved in and stopped the madness. I sure hope people from now on look at the big picture, its not about one or two people and their opinions its about the hobby as a whole, you can help it succeed or you can kill it with the remarks people make and those remarks reflect the culture of this site. From what I have read today, some acknowledge maybe they went to far, and for me that's a start in civility.

For what it's worth (probably not much to this crowd) my view of CA just took a 180 degree turn over the past 24 hours. I've been a frequent visitor to CA since it was first launched. I had the highest respect for Chris C. and thought he had really built something special with CA.

I have never visited a CA forum before yesterday. I just don't think they are a very worthwhile way to spend my time unless I have a specific technical support problem or hardware configuration question.

I visited your MQA thread because I'm trying to figure out what MQA means for me - if anything- and thought there might be some useful information posted. When I opened the thread and saw Lavorgna posting I was surprised and thought he might have some information of value to me. And no, I don't believe everything he says, and yes, I know he has an inherent conflict of interest.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing happen. It was probably good for me, because I've never done any of this social media stuff. No Facebook, no Twitter, I've never posted to a forum in my life until this week. The only thing of value I was able to gleen from hundreds of posts was that non-Tidal streamers were going to be non-MQA. At least now I better understand how social media works.

And yes, it did severely damage CA's reputation in my view. I'm not so sure I'll be visiting the site in the future - definitely not as often as I have in the past.

Thanks for the learning experience.

Then, a well thought out post over at the Linn forums breaking down many of the possible downsides to MQA was reposted in the comments section of one of ML's MQA posts at Audiostream.

I posted (#693) on the Linn statement, but nobody on this thread thought it was worth reading.

Notice that post got 2 thankyous and 2 likes. I liked it...but then again, I'm Nobody. ;)

I did notice the that two people clicked the button. "Nobody" was a bit of hyperbole. My point is why should people waste their time trying to contribute if only two people read it. It takes even a prodigy a while to write a thoughtful post.

I read it as well. Your novice social media skills continue to impress.

Don't you remember when people used to write? I know you've been blogging since the internet was invented in the early '80s, by Al Gore I believe. It never occurred to me that writing on forums was some type of special communication skill you had to work on.