IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

Hello Knickerhawk,

Just read your post about the A/B-testing. Was this a fair A/B; ic, did you use the same dac/same quality interlinks for the MQA files and the little silver disc?

About ECM: they still favor vinyl or cd for the best sq (I concur, to be honest).

But nice to read you like your new listening experience (that's what it's all about, isn't it?).

Hello Knickerhawk,

I just read your post about the A/B testing. If I am correct, you did not use the silver disc, but you used cd-quality files. That's not the same. It's a fairy tale that cd and redbook-flac are equal in sq. For some reason, the cd-transport makes a (big) difference.

I misunderstood you, please correct me  (English is not my first language).

Happy Listening,

WAM

• 4 months later...
   57 minutes ago,  mansr said: 

I'd like to know how they got Jim Morrison to sign off on it.

This exactly the reason I did not trust MQA from the beginning. I lack the technical knowledge  most of you have, but if something is too good to be true...

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
20 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Has anyone run into a dealer who has an opinion on MQA other than agreeing with what the old guard has told them?

Yup. I visit two dealers regularly. The first dealer is very much an analog guy. He told me: " nobody asks for it" . Digital audio is not his core business, but it is telling. His knowledge on mqa is pretty much non existing, and he is fine with that.

The second dealer is specialized in digital audio. His customers ask for it. He takes a neutral stance, and tells them it is not necessary. He is selling the more expensive stuff. I get the feeling that, if someone is buying " higher end" digital hifi, they want mqa, because it is available (and not  because it sounds so good). They just do not want to miss out, in case... (let's pray it does not happen).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Got mail from Bluesound:

Experience live music at home like never before.

With nugs.net now available with BluOS, you can browse and listen to over 30,000 hours of live concert recordings from artists like Pearl Jam, Metallica, Bruce Springsteen, Jeff Beck and dozens more. Hi-Fi subscribers of nugs.net will be able to enjoy their favorite concerts on Bluesound in lossless FLAC, with many of the concerts also encoded and available in MQA® for the best possible listening experience.

What a pity I do not use a Bluesound product anymore ...😎

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rando said:

Rapha was pretty great until they sold it to Walmart!

You did some A-B-testing " before" and "after"?

> I'm in the market for a new pair of bibs (Isidore is also tempting) 😌.

Back on topic. I'm also in the market for a dac/headphone-amp. First RoE: no MQA. Shortlist, but open to alternatives: UR SH, Luxman DA 250. Someone an other suggestion?

• 3 months later...

Yup, that's what dealers are telling me. Only people looking for high end mention it (fomo, I think. Perhaps that's the reason manufacturers are doing/offering MQA).

What I hear, is that people are moving away from Tidal and opting for Qobuz. Goodby to the " what the artist.... blabla...".

• 5 months later...
On 2/25/2020 at 9:58 AM, FredericV said:

I did order a new DAC yesterday to complement my current R2R dac which we take to every show. It is said to be even better than my old DAC, at half the price, so I blindly invested in it as I know the designer who now works for a new company, and the sound difference was confirmed by 2 reviewers.

You are talking about the Sonnet Morpheus?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...