IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

23 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The anti-mqa crowd is so against it, they are like the NRA. You never know when a concealed WW1 cannon could be needed, so don't ban it. You guys are losing the plot. Thus the reason I asked for people to boil down exactly what they don't like.

To your credit there really aren't any good shooting ranges or full blown nutjob compounds in the prairie states.  I assure you no truther/searcher/woke/enlightened thinker is without a plot though.  So in fact they are not losing it but close to actually refining it. :rolleyes:

This was humor, plain and simple.  Besides, I can think of at least a half dozen places a normal person could go shoot their cannon should they so wish and there is something to be said about the primitive joy of blowing a massive hole in the sky during times of peace.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Charles Hansen, while you are taking questions on center stage.  Would you be open to at least considering naming a, by no means assured, MQA DAC the 'Ayre Emon".  There is something gained through the injection of patois that is hard to put a finger on.  That goes counter to yet neatly aligns with all of the disparate signals we are getting.  

IF you rush to market you could be the first to breast the divide between MQA's target demographic younger audience and raking in bags of cash as a second or third order priority.  #AyreEmon, #Blessed, #hifi

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

This thread is not about MQA anymore, its about the politics of the music industry. MQA haters are simply pissed that a better format (MQA) at a lower cost has emerged and they are taking a beating on the "hirez" tracks and dacs they bought that are going to the bottom of the ocean now that ALL the major labels are converting their catalogs to MQA. 

The old political adage about transitioning from a public servant to the private sector comes to mind whenever MQA  comes up. Work now, get paid later.   

In any case this is far from a done deal.  Anyone with business sense wouldn't be in the least surprised if the actual players in the music industry are letting MQA do all the heavy lifting make inroads before swatting it aside.  There are some reasonably sound protests coming from some reasonably intelligent people who might not quite be making the connection between being a shill for his own product and shilling for a larger entity.  The air around this has been thoroughly sniffed with varied opinions on what BS smells of.  If anything?  Maybe it's just that clean. 

If all the DSP and DRM concerns suddenly disappear without losing acceptable sound in a streaming format?  I personally quit worrying about MQA months ago and started watching for a Bambi meets Godzilla scenario.  Where the nuisance disturbing our garden gets turned to paste.  Bambi defeating a small fence is a pittance compared to what something large as skyscraper does when compelled to move.  

1 hour ago, christopher3393 said:

Chuck Berry should've won the Nobel. ( "You Can't Catch Me" : Bob Stuart's theme song?  ; ) )

I have this habit of leaving something truly impossible to ignore auto-saved in the post creation box.  As you could imagine this related to numerous suggestions going to AES in NYC would solve all that ails.

And then the witch doctor
He told me what to do

He said that

Ooo eee, Ooo ah ah, ting tang
Walla walla, bing bang

50 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Or increase piracy 

Since you are supporting the negative, MQA is not a tool for decreasing piracy, could you briefly explain what the above quote means to you?  For the sake of simplicity let's focus on the US market only.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Or maybe so much bullshit towards anything to do with a first unfold?

The industry pundit and Bob Stuart authored conditioning is worthy of study.

I fear there exists a need to explain dry Midwestern humor and it's place.

54 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

One of the downsides to possessing a Jedi level of snark skill.  Sometimes your snark will be invisible to all but other Jedi  :)

The fourth riff on issues cracking open a magazine being yet further trouble with the first unfold should have grown in depth of meaning.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly I don't think there has ever been a period I was less interested in gossiping about Stereophile.  That includes the long years before I knew of its existence.  

With the exception of ML, who at this point would take anything from anyone here as an attack, wishing all of you the best of luck with your new managers and purse string holders.  Nobody else has shown the lack of self interest or politeness that used to be prevalent in society by doing so.   

@Kal Rubinson  @John_Atkinson

• 2 weeks later...

The cost of including MQA in the LS50W would have dramatically raised the price of the product and simply put, the sonic benefits haven’t yet outweighed the consumer cost. With an MQA software encoder you can take advantage of 96kHz/24-bit resolution with the LS50W and for resolutions higher than that, you can still enjoy full high-resolution audio, just not with MQA-encoded files.

• 4 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, mansr said:

Good luck finding even 1 million users who care.

The trick isn't finding people who care.  It's negotiating a seat at the table to feed upon people who don't care.  ;)

We at least have some idea what MQA singing for its supper sounds like.  Most here have been burned enough times by other wonders that required new equipment to simply endure the performance in polite silence.  Then we have this bunch in here who started warehousing overripe vegetables.  330 pages in, now that you have built up BS' defenses to an acceptable level.  It would be a nice payoff seeing his face artfully splashed with great timing and accuracy.  Reveal onto us an arc and trajectory that cannot be dodged.

Can we put a timer on this?  As he takes the stage in front of millions would appear to be too good a chance to pass up for those claiming to hold the upper hand.  Or at least trigger the need to dash off a story of great bravado to renew the fight in our hearts?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...