IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

16 hours ago, crenca said:

Which brings up the import of the Tidal MQA link.  What if there was a cost, say $5 or so a month for MQA?  Well, I think the vast majority of those Roon users would be paying.  In other words my sense (from time spent on the forum - I'm a Roon lifetimer as well) is that the majority have if not completely bought into the MQA message, are at least "curious" enough to support it.  Many (most) of them are also typical "subjectivised" audiophiles, and my sense is that they "hear" the alleged advantage of whatever Audiophildom puts in front of them.  In other words Bob S and MQA understand the Audiophile well and have to a real extant succeeded in their mission to sell it, even if there is also real blowback as well...

Roon/Tidal user here and I could care less about MQA. So far most I’ve heard sucks the life out of music compared to 16/44, a bit like upsampling to DSD (for me). If it’s only available in MQA then that’s another matter, and is what it is. Sounds like Tidal have much bigger fish to fry at the moment than MQA anyway. if they don’t then it’s going to be a moot point as it is. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

So far all of the MQA (Tidal) I’ve compared to 16/44 (rips or Tidal) is all smoothed out and cuddly, and no matter how “good” it’s supposed to sound, MQA just seems to suck the life out of music. I think these guys, with their “bargain” $250,000 horn speakers (yes, a quote from a recent show report in Stereophile), have had their head so far up the bass port of six figure manufacturers for so long they don’t recognize bad or good sound anymore, and have distanced themselves so far from the actual music and artists to be nothing but a joke, and the proof is in the lauding of MQA. 

There’s been a big trend in photography, the so called megapixel race, so that consumers focus now on how clear, sharp, and big they can blow up the image. Fine, but you can’t also translate that into what’s come before. Should we clean up all that pesky film grain of Cartier-Bresson’s? Look closely and a lot of his images are soft - better sharpen it up - the guy didn’t know how to focus!  

Life’s not perfect, and it’s all the warts and bumps that ultimately make it interesting. These MQA guys have earned all the scorn they can reap, as the actual scam is right there for anybody to listen to. If you like it better, fine. But it shouldn’t even be bantered about as a new industry standard. It’s nothing more than a flawed solution looking for a problem. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

I voted with my wallet and cancelled Tidal. Buh-bye POS MQA!

Qobuz is missing some albums I like but I'll just buy those.

Same here. And when I was with Tidal, most of the MQA I tried sounded ‘dead’ to me in comparison to the basic 16/44 they were meant to replace. 

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

P.S. I’ve always thought the Ever Given was sabotaged. Those boats all have auto pilot to keep them where they’re supposed to be. 

More like some pilot (lets call him Bob) decides they're more clever than autopilot and tries to do it themselves. Failure. 

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Here is just one example of Atmos Spatial Audio where the producer and recording engineer of the original album was the one who created the Atmos version. I’d say highly involved. 

Yeah, but both you and I well know these guys are an 'industry' unto themselves and will always have control and are not beholden to their label. Other artists not so much - they just roll over when the label says roll. And what if the artist and engineers are dead? 

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hoo boy, I think we found the Q in MQA with this FX guy.

"Just do the research..." lol. 

2 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

Boy, that Infigo review! Holy Moly Batman and for the low low price of $55k.

No kidding. The ironic thing I find about Stereophile, is that I know of no writers, in any genre or medium, that could afford (flawed at that) $55k amps, let alone the auxiliary gear used to play it. Do they get paid like $100/word to spout their nonsense? 

Borderline... or somebody invested too heavily and is now losing it. 

We all heard it. i could hear it on my decidedly low end Sonore/Naim/Audio Physic system that I hobbled together for a paltry $8k. It sounded HiFi!! and all sparkly, but became really fatiguing after awhile. I even had a free sub to Tidal and switched back to Qobuz. 

21 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Those who talked about it as the greatest thing ever, will create a market for old mQa products and pirated recordings and endlessly talk about how great it was during the salad days of mQa. 

Dusty Topping DACs stacked on top of even dustier Betamax and Laser disc players. 

@firedog Yep, hubris will always get you in the end. 

@StephenJK Funny, we just bought a house built in 1987 that has literally hundreds of feet of cheap speaker cable run everywhere, inside and outside. Slowly but surely losing it all. 

• 2 weeks later...