IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

47 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

There were people that bought in to the BS that MQA was spewing, backed up by endorsements from TAS and Stereophile.  There were other knowledgeable people who could see what MQA actually was and rejected it.  There were people on this site and others that closely examined MQA and exposed the truth.  Apparently MQA is still pushing their agenda.

But check out 'MQA' on Wikipedia, I'm sure this article wouldn't look like that if it wasn't for AS, some knowledgeable guys posting here and last but not least Chris who changed his attitude towards MQA 180 degrees at some moment for which he will always have my personal respect.

• 2 months later...

No-one said our audio journey would be nice'n'easy after all.. :(  BTW, just thinking.. shouldn't audio formats that didn't make it, get immortalized let's say in the form of e.g. monuments.? What could an MQA monument look like..?  o.O

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Allan F said:

You misinterpreted my comment

I don't think so. Your comment:

19 hours ago, Allan F said:

I note that you are from The Netherlands. Nothing personal, but If you were aware of how sensitive the topic of monuments currently is in the US, I don't think that you would be referring to monuments in an audio forum.

My response:

8 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

I'm afraid I will have to disappoint you, my friend - I would have anyway :)  The reason for that is very simple - if I decided not to touch on topics which are 'sensitive' ones in some particular place or circles, I would probably not be able to speak, or post on any topic at all.

Including MQA.. :)

This part OTOH is correct:

No one was trying to correct your attitude towards racial issues or remotely suggesting that it needed correction.

I proposed:

8 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

But we would have to go way out of topic to discuss it here :)

but I understand you are interested in continuing the topic.

Let it be your way then..

You mention:

showing deference to sensitive issues

I hope you are aware that if it wasn't for ..let's say the 'lack of sensitivity' on the side of the early colonizers of America in regard to the Native Americans and also ..let's say again 'lack of sensitivity' in regard to the Black people (whose descendants later had been much later called African-Americans) brought by ships from Africa there would be no need to talk about the lack of sensitivity in regard to issues connected with objects which are just pieces of stone or metal (?).

Of course also citizens of European countries took part in the later practice but there are huge differences between Europe and the USA in later times as far as treating Black people is regarded, I hope you will agree with that.

I used to live in New York in the 90's so I am not completely unfamiliar with these issues.

From my personal point of view the whole big and painful part of the American history simply hasn't been touched upon in an adequate way in e.g. some nationwide discussion which would be able e.g. to change the general awareness of these issues to a sufficient degree and due to this many things connected with these historical facts remain 'sensitive'.

Please don't ask me for sensitivity in regard to some goddamn monuments and for respect for the sensitive issues like these in the context of what I just touched upon.

Just really solve your American problems, guys, it's high time!

I'll just repeat once again - I really don't think this is the right place for a discussion like this.

On 8/16/2020 at 9:24 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Looks like a roughly $37 premium for the MQA version over the non MQA version.

$90 - NonMQA

$126.60 -MQA

I wonder if in case of hi end gear this usually is also $37..

Or maybe the 'non-value-added' tax more often gravitates towards 40%.. 

This can make some difference.. B|

On 8/18/2020 at 2:22 AM, Archimago said:

I'm sure there must be some high level calculations involved. Maybe something like income tax brackets?

Audio Hardware Class                                MQA NVAT

El-Cheapo Plebeian Fi                    40% flat when less than $200

Consumer Fi                                   20% flat when over $200 to $1000

Normal Audiophool                         30% to $1000 + 5% over $1000

Hi-End Audiophool                          35% to $4000 + 10% over $4000

Supreme Ultra-Hi-End Phool          40% to $8000 + 20% over $8000

This will clearly dissuade Plebeian Fi products from competing with the more expensive, consumer gear of >$200. And of course if a company needs to play in the "Hi-End", they've got to pay the bucks for the privilege.

Should be able to pad the retirement fund like this I think...

On a more serious note... I see that the "normal" Ztella DAC uses a slightly lower performing ESS chip than the MQA version. So maybe it's more like a 30% NVAT... 😉

This clip is not only my comment on these nvat prices but also the expression of my expectations as for the final market position x-D of the More Questionable Audio clan. 

I have no personal interest in MQA, I use streaming only for checking out new music. My desktop speakers reproduce even mp3 in a, let's say, acceptable way.

For me this is rather a question of how far a corporate power, relying on lies and consumer ignorance, can reach in present days.

As far as I remember @The Computer Audiophile once expressed here the view that these may be not consumers who will decide on whether MQA will succeed or not. I choose to hope this is not so.. Maybe I'm wrong.. Anyway I'd be really quite surprised and much more (!) disappointed if a non-open source format like this succeeded in the 21st century, regardless of its factual or (more often in this particular case, of course) 'imagined' advantages..

On 8/24/2020 at 5:24 PM, danadam said:
On 8/24/2020 at 3:48 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

MQA is really an exercise in consumer psychology, not demand driven by product superiority or  meeting a consumer need.

Thank goodness the rest of audiophile market is not like that. 😉

When I was a dealer I used to think that a consumer is in a really quite hopeless situation, with the audio press in my country (and not only there) more or less corrupted, to a smaller or bigger some degree without the possibility of checking out its claims about the SQ of particular gear (IMO in most cases a 'good' or rather clever dealer can demonstrate the superiority of a particular device over almost any other without the need to reverse phase in one speaker to demonstrate their superiority over other speakers on which the dealer's margin is lower - I personally experienced such situation before I started my audio business), the only possibility of really testing gear is IMO using it for at least for a couple of days at your own home which not always is possible, with internet forums full of BS written by people who can be compared to the car experts who have driven 2 or 3 cars in their life and who review 'expertly' the fourth one, etc.. I still think it's quite difficult for a consumer to tell a BS gear from a good one, I think it usually takes years of experience (not only with the gear itself but also eg the credibility of different 'expert' sources) and unavoidably a smaller or bigger number of mistakes which are sometimes painful not only to one's wallet but also to his ears.

With MQA it's luckily quite easy though.. ;)

• 2 months later...

What about a lawsuit against MQA clan, wouldn't that be possible based on their lies while introducing the product to the market.? According to law, can you say any bullshit while introducing and advertising a new product.? Wouldn't an eventual lawsuit (even if lost) make the mainstream press more interested in the truth behind MQA and thus make much more people realize what's really going on here.?

And last but not least - who could sue them.? (maybe us.? 9_9)

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Wow, it's MP3 or MQA. Ouch. Thanks to all who assisted in removing our freedom of choice. 

Lossy formats are more ..profitable ;)

I must say that I watch this thread (every now and then) from a comfortable position of a guy who relies on his own (mostly hi res) music collection. So I could actually just say - discuss on guys..

Eating Popcorn GIFs | Tenor

But I must say - this really gets as ugly as it gets..

And at the same time more and more people tell me 'I stream master quality' or can't wait for this and this on MQA CD..

So maybe sue them.? B|  After all damaging Mona Lisas while not giving consumers a choice should be punishable.. :) 

25 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

And, you're being told it's a baker's dozen of 13 of the best eggs you've ever tasted. 

But there is fungus on them..B| (maybe also in them)

It's been genetically modified by some great audio master minds to be the most perfect fungus you've ever seen or tasted.. 

It's much better than the old fungus codenamed mp3 and it even emits blue light in the dark so that you knew you have to do with the best fungus ever.. x-D

The only counterattack strategy may be getting as loud as MQA clan but with telling the truth about the format and even that IMO wouldn't guarantee a success since most music 'enthusiasts' simply don't care. And the MQA clan obviously does.

I haven't been following the mainstream audio magazines but it would be interesting to see where they stand now..

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

As long as the labels have a financial stake in MQA ltd, it's hard for them to lose. The only way I can see the labels backing out of MQA is if there's another piracy scare caused by this. With the uptick in streaming I just don't see that happening either. 

You may be right.

Let's make piracy great again.? ;)

44 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

I watched it live.

Did they blur the video afterwards ?

You must blur first to deblur it later.. As we all know, they've done already a lot of blurring, a lot..  

Now it's deblurring time and we can see clearly (no need for MQA hardware or software) who they are and what they stand for..  

BTW, speaking of 'freedom of choice' - isn't the whole situation with More Questionable Audio a little bit like.. 

11 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

I lost the connection. Is that Putin raging at Meridian ?

Or does it go via Johnson ?

All high-flying.

Oh, it seems I'm not communicative again (I happen to have strange associations, can't help it, sorry ;))..

Putin represents MQA which gives the factory owners (music lovers - listeners) the freedom of choice of the audio format on Tidal and maybe not only on Tidal in the near future..