IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

"editor" is a strong word for Michael L ;) It is a running joke, that if you have not been banned by him you are not saying anything worth reading. I (and several others) were banned on the same thread after he posted a video that a power cable manufacture had made where they had some radiologist claiming he could "see" better into the images and make better diagnoses when he used their power cables.

Michael may be good DAC reviewer (and he is in large part - I find his analysis almost always jibes with my own) but a blog editor he is not - he simply wants you to agree with him, and if you don't he takes it personally.

Interesting how Stereophile stepped all over a potential advertiser however - apparently the success of MQA is much more $valuable$ to them then any potential advertisement $dollars$ from Linn- either that or they are True Believers - dissent will not be allowed!! All bow before MMMMMQQQQQQAAAAAA......LOL!

Update: The "editor" claims they removed a "Linn advertisement" - not true at all - the original post was a thoughtful and forthright explications of the "cons" of MQA to the industry, to the consumer, etc. It is VERY disingenuous on Stereophile's part to claim they removed an "advertisement". It makes one question the professionalism of Stereophile - perhaps JA will step in with a cooler head...

...because you were making things up and representing them as fact.

A few corrections - AudioStream is not Stereophile. I am the editor of the former, JA the latter. There is no overlap so "Stereophile" has nothing to do with what goes on on AudioStream.

This post of yours, "crenca", is a perfect example of your "style" - purposeful misrepresentation, misinformation, and simply being flat out wrong.

My take is that they would just as soon not have ANY manufacturers commenting in that section. I read it the same way they did. Advertising.

There were a number of additional posts by the same user that promoted Linn. When viewed on whole, it was clear that the intention was to posit Linn against MQA. It is also the case that this user is not associated with Linn professionally but some posts were misleadingly 'signed' by a Linn employee.

How wonderful. No doubt you will avoid any substantive discussion on the pros/cons of MQA. You will not engage in a back and forth regarding this alleged firewall that exists between Stereophile and Audiostream (they appear to be part of the same media brand according to the collection of logos at the bottom of each web page). You will not break down any of the alleged "misrepresentation" or "misinformation", you'll just throw out the words and run back to the safety of your censored comments section.

But most importantly, you have dismissed well thought out and quite valid concerns about the future of recorded digital music as a "Linn advertisement".

I have only one question: Why are the egos so eggshell fragile when it comes to elite audio gear reviewers such as yourself?

Here's a novel idea - try asking a meaningful question.

Let's start here:

Please break down, in detail, the alleged "misrepresentation" and "misinformation". And don't run away. There will be follow up questions.

Here's another helpful tip for you - if you continue to act like an ass, I will most certainly ignore you. Capiche? You see, I don't mind having a conversation but I do mind bullshit.

In what way where you able to establish that Ethernet cables and a 'plainly apparent and easy to hear'?

What is your theory behind the perceived improvements?

The Ethernet reviews were published in 2013. Since that time I've written a number of additional articles on Ethernet that get into detail about this subject. I'd suggest reading what I've written.

I encourage Mr. Lavorgna to participate in this thread: Audiophile Ethernet

But realistically there isn't going to be a well thought out counterpoint coming on any of this (MQA, Ethernet, or otherwise) from him so the fears of this thread really going off on a tangent due to participation by him are slim to none IMO. My observation is he as an inability to actually hold an above board conversation.

1. If you "know me" tell me where I just drove to. I'll give you a hint it was 48 miles one way. If you can come within a 5 mile radius of my destination, I'll put some amount of credence in the notion that you know me.

2. If you believe that you can measure a cable to determine how that cable will affect a system, you do not understand some basic realities.

I have no, as in zero, interest in discussing Ethernet as I've already been there and done that.

It is my style on subjects were I'm a material expert. Networking both from installing the physical infrastructure to routing to server architecture (mainly HA clusters and virtualization).

I try to be helpful where I can. But something you need to understand: Many here have formed an opinion about Michael over the years of what we believe is tantamount to a hyperbole machine. It has it's roots in him banning and deleting accounts/posts that effectively challenge his assumptions and factually expose them to their shortcomings.

I mean he banned Archimago for petes sake and I've never read a cross word from the man.

It's why there isn't any worry about him actively engaging in a thought provoking manner here. He's a person of little actual substance and his posting here has already amply displayed that fact.

So far he's the only poster in this to call another forum member an ass.

Now I think he's a hack, but that's a position I can actually back up.

I worked in IT for nearly 20 years. You can read my bio on AudioStream. What I can tell you is this - being a Network "material expert" does not mean you know what is important, or not, outside your area of expertise.

Then let's talk MQA - pick any of Jims (Linn) thoughtful concerns, or any of ours. Take one of mine on: tell me, what do you think DRM is and how does it apply to MQA?

I responded to the content of the original post on AudioStream.

To clarify my position re. deleting that original post, if Jim would like to post his comment on AS, I'd encourage him to do so. Especially if he's interested in any discussion that follows.

Hi Michael, let me tell you that I for one am very happy to have you present in this thread. I believe the start has been extremely bad and I do hope you will stay here for a while to discuss some concerns some members have on MQA, specifically in the areas of its proprietary nature and DRM. Since I'm not specifically concerned I hope those members will speak out for themselves, and use a tone that will enable a constructive discussion based on facts, not on assumptions.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Thanks Vincent.

So far, it strikes me that some people here are more interested in telling me what they think of me than in asking questions. If that continues to be the case, I hope you can understand how I'll loose interest in continuing.

I do that all the time. Last year we ran 17,000 feet of data cabling and most of it's certified(when the customer options for it) . I know exactly how any given leg of the network is going to perform since we guarantee that performance.

My last install was four 70 inch displays, sixteen 50 inch displays, AMX HDMI Matrix Switcher, AMX remote control panels (10), Christie Projection to a 200" drop down display, Shure Wireless, Crown CT 4 channel amp

All the HDMI is over Ethernet.

It's called engineering Michael. That and the fact you can't tell the difference between 3 foot of AQ Ethernet and 30 foot of other Ethernet if your life depended on it.

I will post a video interview with Juergen Reiss of MBL and John Atkinson next week that took place at CES. I'd recommend watching it since we talk about some related issues. I think you'll find it educational.

FYI - you are a very unpleasant person to communicate with. Or should I say to try to communicate with. If you cannot leave behind your personal insults and chest beating, I'm going to ignore you. And no, it's not because you ran 17k feet of cable, it's because you think you know more than you know. And you're arrogant about it.

Do you mean this response or some other?: MQA Decoding Explained | AudioStream

If you mean this response, how is that a response to Jim/Linn/us? It simply lists two "pros" of MQA that a consumer of digital software (i.e. music) might be interested in. It does not address the numerous "cons" that Jim or we have referred to at all.

So tell me, what is DRM and how is it relevant to MQA?

Why don't you tell me about DRM as it relates to Tidal and MQA today. What are the real-world concerns that need to be addressed and why should a consumer be concerned.

What would those 'simple rules' have been? Are they on the web site as far as a 'terms of service' or 'code of conduct'?

From our About page: 1. Criticism is welcome as long as it's directed at the content of the review, post, or comment. We have a zero tolerance policy for a lack of civility, disrespectful comments, and personal attacks.

Also, in most cases (as was the case with Archimago), I send an email to the person prior to any action being taken, describing the issue(s) with their comments.

Yes, I certainly can. One concern expressed by some here is that MQA's proprietary nature might lead to a crowd-out of current open sound file standards, such as PCM, DSD, 'regular' FLAC etc. In this view it could potentially mean that for instance a new album would only appear in MQA. What is your opinion on this?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

That's a great question. After the MQA/Warner news became public, I called Warner and spoke to someone who went on record as "a company spokesperson". Here's their response that addresses this concern:

"WMG will continue to provide their distribution partners, like HDtracks, high-res PCM music."