IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

5 minutes ago, psjug said:

So technical arguments against MQA are off the table?

BTW I do not share the "good riddance" sentiment.  I think it would be good to engage in cool-headed discussion if you are willing.

I'll answer you because you're considerate. No, technical arguments against MQA are not off the table. But those who criticize it on technical grounds should endeavor first to understand MQA, and like any good scientist, should carefully consider opposing points of view instead of using cheap rhetorical techniques to de-legitimize it. 

To address a couple of other points: 1. I'm not an "academic". 2. That we don't need MQA is a valid opinion, but only that. The other answers to my post--the ones I noticed--are substance-less and inflammatory--an possibly in violation of the CA rules. Not that I particularly care. Do your worst. 

jca

1 minute ago, mcgillroy said:

Jim I appreciate you posting. Three questions: have you seen the math, done the math, can you show the math?

You're welcome.

If you mean the math behind post-Shannon sampling, the answers are Yes, no, and no. I've read two papers as best I can, but it has been a long time since I did serious math--they are beyond me. If you mean, have Craven and Stuart shown me their work, I answer 'no' to all three. I've interviewed Stuart extensively--three intervals in total I think, and many emails, and I've had the luxury of the occasional MQA-encoded test track. But the only technical material I've seen is what's widely available in patent applications and scientific journals. But it holds together, and as I've said, Stuart and Craven are not charlatans. They're serious people with serious careers behind them--and I'm not talking about Meridian. In contrast to many hear, Stuart stands up in front of packed rooms and stands behind his claims. That doesn't mean he isn't lying, but to me the preponderance of evidence suggests otherwise. 

On 5/14/2018 at 2:17 PM, mansr said:

I must have spent hundreds of hours reverse engineering MQA for some other reason then.

I thought I'd go ahead an answer a few posts. I can't keep doing this however; there's simply not enough time, and only a few things here are worth responding to. 

It's apparent to me that you spent hundreds of hours reverse-engineering MQA in order to try to prove that it's invalid. 

On 5/16/2018 at 1:26 AM, Fokus said:

First, I assure you that BS is quite capable of dreaming this up.

Second, he was not alone in doing this: there has been a decades-long cooperation with Peter Craven (who brings a lineage going back to Michael Gerzon). Ages ago Craven and Stuart started a war with orthodox steep linear phase reconstruction filters. This informed the design of Meridian CD players and DACs for a while. MQA is just the next step, getting rid of the filters altogether.

Exactly right. And for what it's worth, Charles Hansen, who is now a hero to any here, embraced similar design philosophies. (Hansen was a brilliant designer He deserves praise. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy here.) 

A more important point is that people here point to "experts" who agree with them--and many of them are very knowledgeable. I have great respect for (to name two with whom I've privately discussed MQA) John Siau and Bruno Putzeys). Both are anti-MQA, and very knowledgeable. It's clear from these and other conversations, though, that the ideas behind MQA are not in the normal digital-engineer curriculum. You've got to go beyond that to evaluate them properly. My argument has consistently been that there's more to them than critics (like those here) give credit for. They can't be dismissed as facilely as many try to do. Do the homework first, then dismiss if it doesn't hang together. But keep an open mind. 

Goes without saying that you cannot judge it if you don't understand it. 

jca

On 5/15/2018 at 1:57 AM, Fokus said:

That it replaces free and open PCM with closed-system packaged PCM, and adds the need for special hardware to boot. Without tangible benefit for the consumer.

Yes to your first point--and that is (as I've written) a legitimate concern. (It is not, as I have also written, something I personally worry about much.) As to the second, we have to wait and see. That's what listening tests are for. Given the stakes, this is not something that should be left to some self-proclaimed golden-eared writer--or me. It should be tested properly--and how it sounds is the ultimate test. And as I mentioned previously, word is the McGill tests didn't go well for MQA. If that proves to be true--if MQA (at comparable rate) is found not to be preferred over 24/96 PCM (the comparison they're making)--then the only advantage is some streaming economics. That, to me, is far less compelling. 

On 5/17/2018 at 5:31 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

2) Old guard print articles calling MQA the best thing to ever happen in digital and repeating falsehoods?

It took me longer than it should have to realize what you're on about. You see yourself in competition with magazines like Stereophile and TAS. So there's a bias against ideas espouse by those magazines. 

I am curious which "falsehoods" you think are being repeated. Can you cite them? Can you definitively show them to be false? 

It appears that your fiduciary conflict of interest compromises your objectivity. 

On 5/17/2018 at 10:36 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I recently heard something so surprising that I'm trying to back it up with other sources. Trust me, if I can back this up, it isn't good news for MQA.

If it's the news about the McGill test, there's an abstract already on the AES website. I've only read the abstract--haven't seen the paper--but I've talked to an expert who has read the paper. If this is your news, I'll break it: The listening tests at McGill failed to establish a difference between MQA and PCM at the same rate. That's an impressive showing for MQA's compression, but IMO it devastates their value proposition. 

In other news, the leading producer of DAC chips will incorporate MQA natively into their DAC chips. That's big news, too, but that's been public for a while, so that's probably not it. 

On 5/17/2018 at 7:52 PM, crenca said:

In any case, "post shannon" is a spin term meant to describe a certain philosophy about filtering, audibility/desirability of "ringing", IM, and the like that is all based on shannon.  It's more of the same from the MQA promotion machine...

Then why was it widely use in the late 1990s? 

On 5/18/2018 at 5:34 AM, adamdea said:

The odd thing about Jim Austin's sentence is that the frequency domain and the time domain are mathematically interchangeable. The Shannon's proof of the sampling theorem depends on this. That relationship is immutable. So how can they not be symmetrical and how can anything restore what can;t be lost?

Because music in the analog domain is not inherently band-limited. So, one has to apply an antialiasing filter pre-conversion, thus altering the signal that will be "perfectly" reconstructed (ignoring some complications related to amplitude quantization). 

It is in the assumption of bandwidth limitation that there is an implicit lack of symmetry. One counts errors in the frequency domain while ignoring errors introduced by antialiasing. In the generalized post-Shannon approach, those errors are counted--integrated into the theory. 

On 5/18/2018 at 6:01 PM, mansr said:

The Shannon-Nyquist sampling theorem provides a sufficient condition for fixed-interval sampling to fully capture a signal and enable subsequent reconstruction. Later research has defined other conditions allowing certain signals to be accurately captured without fulfilling the Shannon-Nyquist criterion. A search for terms like sparse signal, sparse sampling, compressed sensing, and finite rate of innovation will turn up hundreds of papers spanning decades.

None of this is new. The reason it hasn't been applied to audio is that it is unnecessary. An audio signal has such a low bandwidth to begin with that the Shannon-Nyquist requirement is easily met. The data rates involved also pose no problems for processing, transmission, or storage systems. Even if some form of sparse sampling of audio could cut the data rate in half, say, there are good reasons not to do this outside very specific applications. Traditional sampling produces a signal that is easy to process in a multitude of ways (think of all the operations a DAW can do). That isn't necessarily true of sparse sampling. Why should we complicate everything only for the sake of a data rate reduction we don't need? I can't think of a single reason.

When, months ago, I started exploring this topic, I did the same Google searches you've apparently done. Yes, the most obvious application of non-Shannon sampling is when you've got a signal with high and low limits. But when you keep reading, you realize there's much more to it than that--but that it has not been applied much to signal processing. 

3 hours ago, miguelito said:

This is key. I went to a demo in March 2015 and the MQA versions were quite better. But looking back and after all of the experience listening and comparing albums on TIDAL (MQA, TIDAL redbook, ripped redbook, and high res versions I own), it is pretty clear that the MQA gains in some albums are entirely due to remastering and not to MQA itself, and as such it could clearly be accomplished with PCM alone.

There certainly are plenty of MQA tracks/albums floating around whose CD-res versions are from different masters, but I have not found that to be the case for high-res versions; generally they appear to be from the same masters. To charge that using different masters in their demos is to suggest that they are engage in the worst sort of fraud. Even if you think them ethically challenged, it's illegal and extremely dangerous strategically. For that reason, I think it unlikely. 

36 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

True that Ayre’s listen filter is similar to MQA’s filter. But I don’t recall that Ayre intended to engineer a closed system that all would have to adopt, from recording to user. Only one of your articles has addressed some of the downsides of MQA, and gently at that. I kindly suggest you interview some of the MQA critics for future articles. 

I have talked to several. Some do not want to go on the record. Others have signed noncompete agreements. Have you noticed that even on this forum most experts use pseudonyms? Doesn't make it impossible however, an it's a reasonable suggestion. 

38 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

Meanwhile, many of us have compared MQA to true hi-res and we’re not impressed. 

Fine--good. Thanks for listening with your ears. 

4 hours ago, miguelito said:

Just consider reading Bob's incomprehensible gibberish vs @mansr clear statements. Really, it is not that Bob is speaking at a more complex level. It is gibberish.

Do you think you can make a convincing case that this is true? It's a pretty serious accusation. Since some of this work has been published in scientific journals--I mean Bob Stuart's--you're accusing him of scientific misconduct, among other things. I'll point out again that his work has earned him distinction as a Fellow of the Audio Engineering Society. You are welcome to your opinion, but even without such distinction, there should be a high bar for that, IMO. 

33 minutes ago, Mordikai said:

So you understand this stuff but Bruno Putzeys doesn't? Yawn, this is basically trolling at this point.

Hardly. Bruno has forgotten more about digital audio than I'll ever know, and as I've said before, I don't understand it either. The point is that as I've learned, it's not necessary for a digital engineer to understand this stuff. If it is what it claims to be, MQA is based on a rethinking of what digital audio engineers consider gospel. The question is whether it makes the music sound better.