IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

I have asked this before, and to this day haven't seen any satisfactory answer: what, from a music customer perspective, is the problem MQA is trying to solve? Unless I ever get a good answer to this, I'm just going to skip this entire technology.

And as pointed out in the OPs post, the requirement for new hardware makes this an "installed base" issue. So even if we eventually see some credible consumer benefit, it needs to be big enough to get enough people to upgrade their equipment. This may well be the next Betamax.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Agree with this completely. The recording industry already has the ability to give us better recordings that don't require any new hardware, they just don't care and neither do most consumers.

If they want a scam that the consumers might go for, how bout a streaming service that streams from original source vinyl? Lol

Stereophile raved about the SQ - if true, that would be a big benefit

Haven't the studios had the ability to record and re-release better quality recordings already. It's not really a mystery, there is no motivation to do so because most of the buying public do not care.

• 5 months later...
53 minutes ago, mav52 said:

""" p.s. if one is looking for someone who designs/engineers via daydream fantasies, Andrew Jones is a poor choice"

Pretty much, it reads as it reads.  Andrew Jones designs his speakers via AJ's words "via daydream fantasies".   Are not all speaker designs a daydream that come to reality via a design.

wow, you're clueless! lol

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I hope you have a lot of bullets :~)

haha! yes - the war metaphors are a bit much.

I don't think the critical discussions in a few internet chat rooms have much to do with the success or failure of MQA. I really don't know if it's dying or just laying ground work at this point. I personally have found it pointless from the beginning in that it solved non of the problems I have in audio.

1 hour ago, Rt66indierock said:

Did you listen to the song? It's not about war. You are both right and wrong about the vaporware thread. It has had influence but I'm just letting you know what is going on to keep MQA out of studios. As for ground work read my posts in "The Politics of MQA" (posted as Steve).

What song? I've read everything you've posted. I have no gripe with you.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

The ambient noise level of a car in motion will likely negate any benefit from ultra high fidelity playback.  And that content would likely come from a mobile phone.

Your MQA advocacy borders on slavish obsession.  All sizzle and no steak.

What do you mean? Isn't this how Neal Young demoed the amazing benefits of hi-res to his musician bro's, who were so blown away.

1 minute ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Well, we saw video of them claiming to be blown away.  And many of them were in a stationary car with an audio system that Neil withheld the details about because those details would "distract".

Full disclosure: I own a Pono (purchased retail, not Kickstarter) and mostly like it.

I don't have a problem with the Pono player although I've never touched one. I will however trust my ears (and most other peoples) over some old rocker who listens to hi-res in a car.

2 hours ago, witchdoctor said:

Thanks, i didn't like the new beta version of CA but Chris seems to have worked out the bugs, nice to be back. Now...

Wake up and small the coffee mr majority unless you mean the majority of this thread. If you are the great and powerful oz wave your magic wand and raise the sales of hirez or btter yet, redbook. Sales are dying in the music industry because the MAJORITY of people stopped buying CD's and downloads and started pirating (newsflash I know). So set aside your crusty old CDP and grab an iphone and earbuds if you want to be in the MAJORITY. The labels are trying to raise the bar just like video did with 1080P and now 4K. Since the MAJORITY of customers now stream music (newsflash #2 streaming revenues have surpassed download revenues) give them am audio version of 4K on Netflix. That being MQA on Tidal, Deezer, the new service from HD Tracks, and whoever else gets on board the MQA train in 2018 and beyond.
I can't believe you think the malcontents in this thread are a majority of anything other than bad attitudes. They aren't even the majority on thos board. Anyone who has a different view than the MQA bullies gets flamed by a bunch of geezers who dumped all their cash into a dinosauer format which is going to the bottom of the ocean next to betamax and 8 track tapes. My advice is give up digital and buy vinyl. I'll take the 7000+ and growing MQA albums on Tidal for an extra $10 a month. Give me a break.

how many subscribers are paying the $10 extra dollars for Tidal with MQA?

3 hours ago, witchdoctor said:

I don't know. What I do know is that streaming sales are snowballing and Spotify dwarfs everyone in the category. Next year Deezer will be offering MQA and HD Tracks will be starting a new MQA streaming service. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2017/03/30/us-music-streaming-sales-reach-historic-high/99816802/

right, streaming outsold downloads. This does not imply that people are streaming for hi-res, people are streaming because they find it convenient and the younger generation does not care about ownership or physical media as much as previous generations. Are the record companies investing in MQA out of the goodness of their hearts? I just don't understand what they get out of it?

11 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

If you want to know why the labels like MQA this is a must read:

http://musically.com/2017/09/04/major-labels-hi-res-audio/

I've read that, didn't find it all that illuminating. Why don't they just release higher res versions of the music they have, charge a small premium and call it good? It's very difficult to tell the difference between good redbook and hi-res on a great set of speakers I don't think to many people are gonna tell the difference on their computer speakers or monophonic blue-tooth. How many of your friends have thousands of dollars of playback equipment? If people can't hear the difference between redbook and hi-res or MQA on their playback system, it is by definition a marketing scheme.

1 minute ago, witchdoctor said:

The trend of sales is cratering, if they do the same thing they get the same result. I give them kudos for trying to improve the quality of streaming and hopefully attract customers away from pirating.

Dude- they've been trying trying to fight piracy for 20 years and making every wrong move along the way.

4 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

Hey didn't you know there is a HUGE population of witchdoctor's and growing? What other people like is not my concern, sorry. The fact that the labels are converting their catalogs to MQA is their call.

How many of your friends spend as much as you do on audio?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, MetalNuts said:

IMHO, he has been given so many chances.  People here expected that by his profession, he could enlighten us with knowledge how the mastering work but I believe to the disappointment of most people here, they were just treated rudely without any courtesy from him.   I find it most disturbing is his attitude of claiming to know but refused to share those matters people here are curious.  If we were fools here, I don't see the reason why he has been here so long blaming the fools here know nothing.  I am confused who actually is the fool.

I try not to over analyze things like this. We have no idea what's going on in his life or if he's always like this. I like to give people a break but he was pushing it.