IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

• 1 month later...

One meaningless MQA data point:  My nephew never went to college but is one those who mastered the computer thing in his bedroom. He has worked for a few companies and was recruited by Apple and now works there on digital audio stuff. He just started recently so I don't know what he is working on.

But when he was hired I did ask him what his take on MQA was.  His answer - "Never heard of it"

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Since MQA invariably improves the sound of even the highest resolution masters (cough), has TAS or Stereophile pushed for all recording studios to convert to pure MQA processing and storage?

No?

Why not?

Do they not want the very best in sound quality for their readers?

Why the hell would anyone use anything else? 

Do all of their music reviews lament the fact if the data was not in MQA and describe the extent of SQ loss experienced by sticking to a DXD source?

NO?

Why not?

Do all of their reviewers add an MQA processing step into their reference systems, otherwise how can equipment be properly evaluated?

No?

Why not?

Hmmm, why wouldn't these magazines insist that their reviewers use the highest quality source possible, which according to them is MQA? Intellectually disingenuous of them to promote MQA yet not push for it's full adoption.

Well said - Any review that does not let me know how much SQ I am losing by not having MQA decoding is not in keeping with their editorial stance.

Kinda like publicly castigating masks and vaccines to make $$$ while requiring employees to submit vaccination records and wear masks. What kind of organization would do something like that? 

2 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

This allowed perfect time-domain behavior throughout the recording-reproduction chain, just as is claimed for MQA

Did MQA achieve this, or are they lying? No one is a better position to tell us than you.  Why won't you tell us?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It must be difficult getting agreement from all members of a symphony orchestra that the MQA version is truly how they wanted their music published.

Or is this Beethoven's responsibility?

Seriously, how many artists have come out and publicly stated "There are two versions of my art. One is superior (let's say DXD master), and one is inferior. It is my wish that the public only receive the inferior version"

• 2 months later...

I like minimum phase filters. I was disappointed that the Rotel Michi did not allow selection of filter types, so I needed to confirm that the one chosen was not a linear phase.

When comparing MQA vs. non-MQA (if using a linear phase filter), the difference should be at least as great as simply switching between phases on a DAC, I'd guess, which is clearly audible.

Seems there should be a pretty clear diff between linear phase non-MQA and MQA given the same master

• 1 year later...