IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

2 hours ago, Shadders said:

I have yet to simulate an 8th order elliptical filter - so i assume that this is what MQA is supposed to address - the temporal smearing of the signal due to the phase changes across the frequency band ?

What are you using for simulation? I've simmed some elliptic filters (7th order) in LTspice, one or two examples are shown in this thread - http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?8858-Digital-that-sounds-like-analog&p=154399&viewfull=1#post154399

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, FredericV said:

They use an FPGA and forward correction to do this. This creative argument has also been said about MSB, one Dutch designer who is well respected told me the measurements of MSB are impossible. The select DAC claimed to do something like 26.5 ENOB, which is very close to Metrum's -155 dB SNR. I don't have the lab gear to verify these measurements.

And neither do they as they seem to be based on a mis-reading of an FFT. Its common to find even fairly experienced engineers reading the FFT spat out by their AP and pointing to where the 'grass' is and saying that's their noise floor. They're blissfully unaware that the figure they get depends on the bin width in their FFT. 26.5 ENOBs sounds quite feasible if the bandwidth under consideration is narrower than 2Hz. Ditto for Metrum's claimed '-155dB' SNR.

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, mansr said:

He got defensive when a bunch of people here jumped all over him telling him he sucked because some recent pop releases he mastered didn't have a DR rating of 17 or more. Yes, he was a bit angry. Any reasonable person would be in that situation.

Ah this must be some strange new usage of the word 'reasonable' that I wasn't previously aware of.

8 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

So, yes, it's reasonable that he was angered.

Not with any normal meaning of the word 'reasonable'.  A reasonable person can be reasoned with - that's being reason-able. An angered man cannot.

Uninformed criticisms of a professional's work are simply laughable to any reasonable person. Not to be taken seriously enough to elicit anger.

7 minutes ago, esldude said:

You are leaving out his saying those who disagreed with his mastering were old. 

And snobs too. He appeared to have an inability to accept differences of taste. To him, a person saying a particular artist or art form wasn't to one's taste meant in his world that you despised (rather than merely did not choose) that option. That's a fairly pernicious perceptual distortion.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

I said MQA encryption is part and parcel of the folding.

I can't see how this can be, would you be able to explain? Seems that we'd need noise-like characteristics for the lowest 8 bits so that undecoded playback isn't affected much (though truncation to 16bits would probably work even better) but how does folding entail encryption?

1 hour ago, Fokus said:

But in MQA's view the ringing is a given. After all, they are the Ring Busters.

Right. So let's see if Lee can have a shot at answering this point. @Lee Scoggins, are you following along? You've already said you believe our view (that would be mine and Fokus' view, along with Bruno and most probably Rob Watts, I see esldude has 'liked' my comment so let's include him too) is mistaken, how have we mis-grasped this please?

6 hours ago, Fair Hedon said:

If you want some laughs, see his latest posts on his Hoffman thread. Hysterical. he is asking for "logic" based arguments with "evidence".  LOL.

I just did, agree - the irony is particularly rich. I've asked a few direct questions requesting precisely those things from him in the past day or so and the crickets have been deafening, the tumbleweeds so engaging...

6 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

Earlier my competence as a consultant was questioned.  Given that my consulting work has no bearing on the discussion, why is this necessary? 

Why not just ignore the irrelevancies if you find they're bothering you? You're showing on here you're perfectly OK about ignoring things which are highly pertinent. So what gives?