IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

• 2 months later...

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/mqa/1.html

Sixmoons has posted an article with a pretty damning position on MQA.   Meridien is walking on thin ice.  So far they have done a fine job in waltzing around with all the majors but it they trip up against one brand with the wherewithal to take them on - they are going to be in deep trouble.  It's only a matter of time but when it happens, they will be taken to the woodshed.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

1 hour ago, mav52 said:

In that written article by 6 moons,  who is Srajan talking about " we received the definitive contract ", " we requested their decoder to develop proper unit-to-unit QC protocols "  etc.. 6 moons doesn't make equipment but Sarjan it appears to be talking about "some ' or 'A' equipment manufacturer.  Its got to be Auralic. 

I thought so too.  They did fall behind a little on their new product releases.  

Another thought, how do you let someone have so much leverage over you? Who are the guys who signed on the dotted line at the companies that have accepted MQA?

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

• 3 months later...
15 minutes ago, Milt99 said:

It never ceases to amaze me why people on internet forums choose to attack those "in the biz" whether reviewers, biz owners, biz  reps, whomever, especially over perceived syntax idiosyncrasies or opinions.

The undisguised snark, self-superior attitude does nothing but make the poster look like an a$$hole.

I think I even saw fan-boy in one of the posts.

Really? Fan-Boy?

I don't agree with everything Charles Hansen has posted but that's beside the point and I'm positive he wouldn't agree with a lot of mine.

SFW?

I know these guys don't GAS about this stuff but one would think that after all these years people would get over themselves & grow up.

Amen!  

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Jud said:

I’d actually say the reverse.  No matter how much people want to say the DRM piece should be significant to the music industry, it really doesn’t suit their economics *yet*, and quite possibly never will.  It’s the fact that it’s a lossy format that may work out for the industry. (It’s essentially the same as if they offered LPs and needle drops.  No DRM required, but you can’t convert it back to a hi res master.) If the music industry wants the maximum number of people to buy MQA streams and downloads, it can’t be pushing the idea you’re listening to a sonically awful version unless you buy new equipment.  It has to market MQA as “better right now than what you’ve got, even better yet with new equipment.”  (The equipment manufacturers, of course, can be expected to heavily emphasize that last part, so for *them*, the built-in DRM is economically beneficial.) 

We’ll see if anyone goes for it.

On some of the other forums I'm on people are going for it hook line and sinker ...

47 minutes ago, Charles Hansen said:

...  I will be happy to discuss the various ways that digital files can be manipulated, and what I see as the advantages and disadvantages of each. Strictly my opinion of course - this is why there is not just one "perfect" DAC that satisfies all customers.

Very interested in hearing your take Charlie ...

Having gone over the last two pages (whew!) I'm siding with Charles ....

Bob Stuart and MQA have leverage over companies who have signed their NDAs and contracts.  

And over what appears to be IMO some secret sauce filters implemented with some silly cooked up procedures.

Would these people have engaged with MQA knowing the information we now know?  Probably ... probably not.   

If whatever has been shared in the last few pages helps some companies evaluate their strategies then that's a good thing.

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

On what exactly are you siding with Charles?

On exactly what I said in my post.  I think the info Charles shared has relevance.

About the DSD part - I'm not very religious about it but I know where you are coming from.

CA has provided an excellent platform where discussions on MQA has been allowed with minimal moderation.  It takes a bit of effort to sometimes follow the discussion with all the tangents that take place but that comes with the territory.  For that you deserve all the credit regardless of your position on MQA.  

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Charles Hansen said:

(The fact that Caelin Gabriel chose a Japanese sounding name for his company makes me very suspicious right off the bat. Why would he want to potential customers to think that he was based in Japan? It's kind of the reverse of Korean company Astell & Kern who deliberately chose a British-sounding name for their company.

Shunyata is Sanskrit.  Very clever name IMO if one understands the nuance of the term.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/9/2018 at 12:03 PM, shtf said:

Don't know if this MQA review by International Audio Review's Peter Moncrief has been posted here yet.

Twenty years ago Peter Moncrief was known by some to be head and shoulders over all other reviewers because of his supposedly exceptionally well-trained ears.

Peter was also known to tell it like it is. That he did and this upset any number of product manufacturers. Rumor has it that reviewers (and mfg'ers) would sit around the audiophile campfire telling scary Peter Moncrief stories.

In my limited experience with products I've owned or auditioned and Moncrief reviewed, he seemed spot on in those cases.

Anyway, thus far I've only read the first few pages of his paper but wow! I also suspect this should be quite an eye opener for many and for a number of reasons.

http://www.iar-80.com/page170.html

I have been reading the Peter Moncrief's article "Digital Done Wrong" from IAR.  Wow!

Has anybody else read the piece.  I am 5- 6 pages into it and my head is spinning.

That article flattens everything I've read about digital.    

It is relatively heavy reading but would be interested in knowing what @mansr or @Miska have to say about it

Regards.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
4 hours ago, firedog said:

Are you finding a lot of albums are only available as MQA?

For sure Tidal keeps shoving an MQA version everytime they get the chance.  But it's more than that - at several listening sessions conducted at different locations (not just my own setup) the quality of the Tidal stream was just garbage.   CD playback or local file storage is so much better than whatever you get over Tidal including the silly "Master" versions.  

IMO You have to be completely ignorant of high quality sound if you continue to subscribe to Tidal HiFI.

• 8 months later...
2 minutes ago, FredericV said:

Is the Tidal group managed by MQA influencers? I did launch a membrship request, and now it seems I'm banned from this group:

Quite possible.  I was invited by a friend but left the group a few days ago.

Just too much MQA garbage on there.