IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

This is going to splinter - and therefore possibly kill - the high-res download market.

24/44.1 is not an adequate incentive over CD/redbook for most folks. 24/48 arguably is actually better because of the possibility of better digital filtering above the audible range. But still, it's surprising to see so many new releases at HDTracks in only 44.1 or 448kHz sample rate formats.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, lucretius said:

Apparently, this is not the case. I downloaded a MQA file from www.2l.no, which came in a flac container. Played it on my MQA DAC and it unfolded to 24/352 (and the MQA indicator lit up). Then, using dBpoweramp, I converted the file to AIFF, ALAC, and WAV. All three of these files played on my MQA DAC and unfolded to 24/352 (with the MQA indicator lit up). Also a quick check revealed that all four files played fine on a non-MQA DAC like 16/44.1. [Used JRiver Media Center for this test.]

Is there any way to fully unfold an MQA file and convert/preserve the unfolded version to a conventional PCM-based file (e.g. WAV, AIFF, FLAC, ALAC)? If not, then I would say @Miska's concern is quite valid.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

I am still exploring the technical aspects but based on what I know now, the 48khz sampling rate statements is not accurate.

As for Shadders' 1984 CD player technology, I am aware of some of the advantages of that ladder chip but it really doesn't compete with more modern DACs and CD players.

The 48kHz sampling rate is, to the best of my knowledge, the maximum lossless rate - everything else is "unfolded," which as already discussed here, is not lossless.

As for the old CD player/DAC issue, you can repeat variants of your assertion as many times as you want, but it doesn't make it any truer.

6 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

No, I am drawing an analogy to illustrate how restrictive a view of DRM this is.

Lee, if I purchase an MQA file of a song that will decode and unfold to 24/192 resolution, can I store and freely copy the full 24/192 data across all my music-storage and playback devices?

10 hours ago, FredericV said:

No you can't. There is no "full" 24/192 data. MQA does not contain 24/192 resolution. 24/192 is degraded to something like 17/96 after the first unfold, and then upsampled back to 24/192, fooling the user into believing this is actual 24/192 resolution when he looks at the display on his dac, which is quack.

MQA does not allow the output to be captured easily at this upsampled resolution.
But why would you want to capture fake upsampled highres which what the MQA renderer is all about? It is a waste of diskspace.

DRM = digital restrictions management.

Thanks Frederic. Appreciate the detailed info (particularly the 17/96 info). Just to be clear, I know you can't - I was posing the question to Lee to see how he would reply; a reply that I still would like to see.

7 hours ago, firedog said:

Just saw this quote from Lee at his Hoffman forum thread:

"Where has MQA admitted that their algorithm is lossy? If you are right I need to see some evidence as the MQA team is telling me the opposite."

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/my-new-article-series-on-mqa.723574/page-2#post-17874636

and he wonders why we don't take his "investigative journalism" seriously....

Yep! I'm the one he's responding to there, and I replied to his query with the evidence he demanded, linking and quoting both Stereophile and Stuart himself admitting that MQA is lossy. To the best of my knowledge, @Lee Scoggins did not reply directly to that evidence or acknowledge it in any way. (Lee, if I am mistaken about that, please point us to the comment you made at the Hoffman forums where you do acknowledge that MQA is lossy.)

Oh, I don't know. The thread at the Hoffman forums has become quite a lot of fun too. :D

(But yes of course, I agree that the collective technical knowledge here is quite valuable in these kinds of discussions.)

It's hard not to come to the conclusion that @Lee Scoggins has found the soil here rather arid (after all, it's a lot tougher here to call folks liars and claim their arguments "have no substance") and is shifting to the Hoffman forums in hopes of finding greener pastures.

Despite it all, I still am finding the threads interesting and informative - debate sharpens arguments and helps reveal gaps and contradictions.

Holy moly - can't believe they nuked the entire thread! It was enormous. That sucks.

I'm absolutely not one of those unquestioning Hoffman acolytes. But I will say that Hoffman did post in the MQA thread saying he has no interest in MQA. And the thread didn't get nuked despite pages and pages and pages of comments disparaging not only Lee Scoggins, but also Bob Stuart.

It could be a coincidence, the the one new thing that happened today was that Lee made disparaging remarks about a deceased audio guy (I think with Ayre? Sorry, I can't remember), and that triggered a firestorm. That probably was the straw the broke the camel's back - although deleting the whole thread seems draconian to me.

14 hours ago, Sonicularity said:

Isn't a disc just a medium to store a file format, like MQA, MP3, AAC, FLAC, CD-DA, or others?

A CD-ROM is just a storage medium. An audio CD is a storage medium too, but not designed as a computer-style storage and retrieval file system. It's designed for real-time playback (aka streaming), and to maximize the playability of the music if the disc gets scratched or otherwise damaged. It's not really an issue these days, but in the 1990s and early 2000s computer operating systems couldn't necessarily be depended upon to be able to copy tracks off an audio CD in the usual simple drop-and-drag way that you can drag and drop files from a CD-ROM, external hard drive, etc. Third-party ripping apps were for a time the only way to do it. And if I understand correctly (and I might not!), an audio CD allows a reading device to locate a track's starting point only down to the accuracy of 1/75th of a second (a single "frame" in the parlance of the audio CD spec).This lack of precision in knowing where the data starts would be completely unacceptable for computer files. But for an audio streaming medium it is fine - if you jump to a given track on on a CD with your CD player, it doesn't matter if the CD player plays a fraction of 1/75 of a second's worth of silence before hand.

But all that said, the thrust of your question is totally correct. @WAM has an axe to grind - WAM feels strongly that reading digital audio data from a spinning CD will sound better at your speakers will sound better (or worse, I forget which, as I don't really care) and reading the same digital audio data from a hard drive or solid-state storage medium. 

In my view this is hogwash - there are too many other variables, and even if CD vs hard drive can sound different, it doesn't sound better or worse in any consistent, replicable manner. But while WAM says he doesn't want to derail the thread over this, so far it appears that he's going to keep jumping in and promoting this baseless article of faith as long as anyone continues to question it.

• 1 month later...