IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

6 hours ago, esldude said:

In the US it is an old crotchety man. Behind the times, stuck in the past old geezer who can't keep up with modern times.

I understand some places it is not age related and similar to calling someone a dude or hipster. 

Geezer in North America describes an old, perhaps crotchety or eccentric man.

Diamond geezer is a UK expression and refers to a reliable, good or special man, as in "He's a good sort".

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

• 1 year later...
17 minutes ago, Jud said:

The contortions you go through to avoid acknowledging the plain meaning of what you say, and to describe others' understandings of that plain meaning as "misleading," are remarkable. I have now seen you do this very same thing with regard to whether Pro Tools is capable of producing high resolution tracks; whether others in the business foresaw financial problems from LHL's extensive use of crowdfunding; and the quality of Chris's presentation at RMAF. Because of this refusal to admit any least fault, the potential value of your contribution to these forums is greatly diminished.

Cartoon.jpg

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

• 1 month later...
Just now, Kal Rubinson said:

Not entirely.

In truth, not even mostly.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BrokeLinuxPhile said:

Audio can't be sold that way.   Turn all amps on at the same time and people will run to the exits. So the demand for audio is automatically a fraction of sales right out of the gate just due to store merchandising and layout.  Then the fact that a high end audio system is physically large, people just go for the soundbar for a few hundred bucks.  They would rather take up the whole wall with a TV, that's just "cool".

Not to mention that the environment doesn't really affect the quality of a TV picture very much - stores virtually always have units set at maximum brightness to attract attention. Audio can sound terrible unless set up in a favourable controlled environment. Just consider the problems that exhibitors have setting up systems in hotel rooms at audio shows.

• 1 month later...

Is it really! What basis do you have to conclude that Stereophile's readers are mainly people in the trade as opposed to subscribers interested in audio? IMO, you are equating any publication devoted to a particular hobby or industry with a trade publication. The latter's target audience is people directly involved in the trade or industry. I believe it is both inaccurate and unfair to so characterize Stereophile and similar publications.

The only way you could have a publication with no industry associations is to publish a magazine without advertising.

Steve Jobs and Apple always preferred a proprietary approach, whether it be for software or music. Jobs was also invoved in fixing high prices for book downloads. While he clearly was a visionary, he was never known for his generosity.

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, Tintinabulum said:

Paid for by a competitor?

Based on reading the reason(s) for the low ratings, that would rarely be the case.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
24 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Oh wow, I forgot about that disclaimer. It’s pretty rich. I feel like diving into all the possibilities of that disclaimer could consume an entire thread. 

So tape isn’t very good?

overstating the quality of early CD?

etc...

Nobody would be happy in the end 😀

And don't forget that a number of the early CD's sounded terrible because analog recordings were converted directly to digital from tapes created with RIAA equalization for vinyl. IOW, the lows were attenuated and the highs boosted on playback because the reverse equalization process that takes place on vinyl playback was not applied.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ARQuint said:

Those who are measurement-oriented tend toward certain dogmatic subjective assumptions about the listening process (e.g. components that measure the same - using the numeric assumptions - sound the same) without being the least skeptical about their own assumptions."

Did Harry particularly have the late Julian Hirsch of Stereo Review in mind when he wrote the above passage? :)

19 minutes ago, Iving said:

Old adage to trainee lawyers ... 😉

With the exception that there are rare occasions when you can ask a question that, regardless of the answer works for you, a "Have you stopped beating your wife?" type of question. :)

• 3 months later...
58 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

I wasn't the one doing the fighting. You banned him Brian Lucey did the heavy lifting in the studios. I just provided data that Bob Stuart wasn't who everyone thought he was.

I don't do pictures with me and other people no point. I've interacted with more than twenty major league baseball players this spring at the Biltmore's short game practice area. What's the point of getting a picture? When I was kid in Minnesota we lived a few houses away from Bob Allison and Fran Tarkenton went to our church. I tried to qualify for the PGA Tour and met lots of famous people. And I worked briefly at Infosphere and met a lot of famous computer guys. And I'm not getting you a picture of me the next famous person I meet for the obvious reason client confidentiality.

Your openness is exceeded only by your humility.

On 5/2/2020 at 7:10 PM, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

When MQA gets flushed down the toilet, you can buy me a Pastrami sandwich and Knish in appreciation. 😃

Ugh...Pastrami sucks compared to Montreal Smoked Meat. 🙂

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Wow, that's rich. 

Actually, Chris, it's incredibly poor - as in grossly misleading and disingenuous. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/10/2020 at 3:11 PM, sphinxsix said:

No-one said our audio journey would be nice'n'easy after all.. :(  BTW, just thinking.. shouldn't audio formats that didn't make it, get immortalized let's say in the form of e.g. monuments.? What could an MQA monument look like..?  o.O

I note that you are from The Netherlands. Nothing personal, but If you were aware of how sensitive the topic of monuments currently is in the US, I don't think that you would be referring to monuments in an audio forum.