IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

I am loving my VPI Classic 4 turntable more and more. All this fear and loathing is just not worth it.

As for benefits of High Rez recordings/MQA? Only a small number of all recordings meet audiophile standards.

Only a very small number of recent recordings meet audiophile standards.

Therefore, why would anyone pay for a high rez download or stream of a poor recording?

Would not a CD or LP of a quality recording would be a reasonable alternative to a monthly charge for dreck?

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Because sampling any recording at a higher rate makes it sound better. The digital filters applied can be much more benign with even 24/88.2 and 24/96, and this leads to much less digital artifacts (and hence less "digital" sounding in the old school use of that term). I am not advocating for MQA/streaming, but for real hi res when available.

Well said @brrrows. You may be right. I, however, remain doubtful. If anyone can make the Rolling Stone's recent "Blue and Lonesome" sound good, more power to them. Great music, but a compressed disaster. I fear that a higher sampling rate would only enhance the horror.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

As to your question in the United States I’m not sure audiophiles matter to the market not enough of them. Considering the number of why do they hate us columns audiophiles may actually hurt the market.

WTF?

"number of why do they hate us columns"?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

MQA.

I will not seek MQA or make it a condition of purchase for any future equipment/software. I will not upgrade or replace any equipment or software in order to obtain it.

If it is there, and running, I will use it.*

I will not be adding any music with MQA capability just to have MQA.

* Like when I put a SACD disc in my player. If it is a SACD, it plays. I don't have to do anything.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I went and bought my baby an airmobile

It was custom made

It was quite a steel 

With its high blown motor

and its hide away wings

step on the gas - you can hear it sing.  (with or without MQA)

• 1 year later...

In re Stereo magazines, the 1%, aspiration and such like.

A car magazine will sell more copies with a nice sports car on the cover.

A stereo (audio) publication will sell more copies with an expensive product on the cover.

Boys (and it is a male domain) just like to look at the nice stuff.   A Porsche will get you to the local Safeway, so will a Volkswagen.

Most of us will also agree that the value of a Best Buy bog standard integrated amplifier will play music well within Audiophile standards.  The diminishing returns from a five-figure amplifier,  in comparison, are well documented.  

I think aspiration, to a certain extent,  drives progress.  I know I will never have a Porsche, but I love to look.

momentum_integrated_1.thumb.jpg.a9c9f51a1dfca725a30bc83869e34682.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 9/25/2021 at 1:14 PM, bogi said:

If MQA would widely succeed then it could become very tempting for other coons to try the same business model: forcing people to pay for nonsense, because manufacturers included it in their products.

How about computer generated "music" loaded on to streaming services as a revenue grabbing scam?   All you need is software and a computer.  No humans involved......sick.

• 1 year later...

I take all "audio journalism" with a grain of salt.   The journalist can certainly describe the equipment, specifications and features which all well and good.   But given that listening environments are so different, system configurations are so varied, etc how can we give anything beyond passing attention to Sound Quality impressions?

Besides.  these journalist get more fee audio equipment than a Supreme Court Justice.   I know I would be influenced by such largess.

Chris, I love this site.  When I first started working with digital (Computer) based music the people on this site gave me good (non judgmental) advice.   I am forever thankful.  

Even the appearance of a conflict of interest can be damaging.   I, and others, trust your judgement and we have no reason to doubt your dedication to our hobby.