IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

• 1 month later...

I've heard Dr Rod Crawford (designer of some of Linn's great speakers) say he likes it. He has given me some great help in the past. However I can't see a technical reason to want it, and given the drastically mixed reviews, I honestly don't expect to spend the time and cost to do a test.

Maybe it'll die before it takes hold. It wouldn't be the first time something possibly good died young.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

MQA is encoded into PCM, which is then put into binary compressed FLAC container.

YES!

Please be clear that just because the source file is compressed using a lossless algorithm—in this case FLAC, (Wikipedia lists 17 common audio lossless algorithms!)—it DOES NOT MEAN that the source file is identical to the originally issued music file, or a downsampling to a 16/44.1 music file.

May I suggest that to be taken seriously we need to avoid the same denigrative tactics and exaggeration (lies?) that MQA has used. They are already having to back down from some of their more suspect claims due to the diligence of some "auditors". If that can be kept up they may well have to back down to just being a lossy compression algorithm that may sound better than MP3 x-D.

Remember that while "fighting fire with fire" can be tempting, the real professionals mostly use water.

• 2 weeks later...

With a reported 60 million subscribers, Apple Music already kills Tidal at 4.2 million. It's hardly a fair fight.

Of course my martial arts teacher maintains that if you find yourself in a fair fight your strategy sucks.:)

It will be interesting to see how the user interface works. Apple traditionally hasn't integrated because Jobs  found other UIs to be sub-par.

8 hours ago, vmartell22 said:

<snips>I do have a related question - do moderators have a duty to be impartial?  Well, I understand that the owner of the forum has the right to regulate content she/he wants on the forum - BUT, talking in general, if someone becomes a moderator, is that a reasonable expectation? 

v

As a moderator elsewhere my job is monitor the discussion and ensure it: doesn't get too far off topic, stays away from personal attacks, uses "family friendly" language, and isn't spam or outright advertising. It is not to the stifle discussion whether I agree or not with the views expressed.

I have never locked a discussion because it was popular or the topic had already been discussed.

• 2 weeks later...

If I had a piece of software that would compress hi-res music files and make them sound better than hi-res when played (REALLY) then I'm sure I could make money just selling it. Wouldn't you buy it?

Why would I need to foist it on everyone with no choice allowed?

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jparvio said:

To put our mouth where the money is; journalism is NOT DEAD, at least in the free World. Against normal protocols I decided to publish here this months Editorial from our Editor-in-Chief. Remove if necessary. For those who don't do Finnish (what a shame), headline translates more or less to "The scam of master proportions":

magazine.png

editorial_6_2021.png

I've got a nice Finnish-->english translator that would work if there was a text version of that.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, fas42 said:

Something I just found ... enable English subtitles to follow,

He might be an expert in music production, but his knowledge and skills in basic logic could use some work!

e.g. Dolby is the same as mQa despite the fact that Dolby is "take it or leave it" while mQa appears to be a 'no choice' "option".

e.g. Transparent equals free to everyone.

Bah!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

A recent "Spotify vs. TIDAL" article appearing in Android Authority stated this:

"Master Quality Authenticated (MQA) promises high-resolution (96kHz/24bit) audio delivered via FLAC or WAV file. Any media labeled as MQA under Tidal means that the artist directly authenticated it."

True or false?

False, of course, and tremendously, obviously so.

Who's going to tell AA and will they listen and retract or are they already dead because "they drank the cool-aid'?

18 hours ago, Confused said:

<snip>

So there you have it, exactly as the artist intended.

Thanks for that.:)

So who does MQA consider to be the artist? The composer, the arranger, the lead player, the band, the conductor, the recording engineer, the mixer, the person at the record company who figured out how to make money out the performance, the MQA designer, the MQA coder, or the MQA tech who pushed the recording through the process?

Man, now I'm really confused!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...