IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's a thread at the RME forum where a user(s) is requesting MQA be added to RME's DACs. RME said no but there are some who are still in the dark regarding MQA.

This thread was mentioned there however, one user thinks it's funny to refer to a thread with 866 pages.

Thread here https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28204 if anyone with more technical experience than me wants to set them straight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, lucretius said:

Then I would need to pay for a VPN service and get an American issued credit card.

Here's some info on how to get a US account in unsupported countries - LINK

I haven't tried it myself. I was fortunate to get a French account back when qobuz would remove the geo-restrictions.

8 hours ago, firedog said:

Agree. But my guess is the CD tier will continue to stream "MQA-CD" as it does now. That will probably just help Qobuz ,Deezer, and Spotify CD tier a bit.

There's been so many lies and falsehoods I don't know if anything Tidal or MQA say can be believed anymore but, this is a recent screen shot from Tidal.com and they are advertising that the Hi-Fi tier is lossless FLAC at 1411 Kbps.

Tidal.jpg

13 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

They are using MQA Limited's trick of claiming that MQA is lossless because they are shipping it in a FLAC container. If you happen to select an MQA labelled track for streaming, the HiFi quality connection sources that very same MQA track for the stream - it does not magically provide a lossless version in its place:

- If it's an MQA-CD track then it streams unhindered;

- if it's a 24-bit MQA track then its bit depth is truncated to16 bits;

- if the MQA track's (undecoded) sample rate is 48kHz then it's downsampled to 44.1kHz.

The track will be lossless only if you have selected a true lossless CD-res track, ie, one that isn't labelled as MQA - not many of those left on TIDAL.

So, same shit different day. Thought that this may be something new based on their HiFi tier launched in Australia.

49 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

I would never subscribe to Tidal as long as they are supporting MQA.

It is truly a sad state if Tidal is your only option in Canada.

Tidal has gotten up with fleas.

There's also Deezer HiFi and Amazon Music HD. Qobuz is the only one missing that offers CD or better quality.

10 hours ago, firedog said:

And when they get fined, let me know....

They claimed MQA was lossless (still do, sometimes). Did anything happen?

Where are the audiophile lawyers when you need them?

The developers of FLAC should have a cease and desist letter issued to Tidal/MQA instructing them to stop marketing their garbage as FLAC.

FLAC's intent was to provide a free compression algorithm for PCM. It wasn't developed so that Tidal/MQA could mislead and lie to their customers, disguising MQA as FLAC and then (supposedly) profiting from it.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

Is there MQA without Tidal?

Is there Tidal without Roon?

Perhaps it is time to scrutinize Roon.

I suspect that these guys are all in bed together.

MQA produces the product.

Tidal distributes the product.

Roon provides the means to consume the product.

• 1 month later...