IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 2/9/2021 at 8:30 PM, jbm_2021 said:

50 ohm to 75 ohm mod.

I need to convert on of my components tx-usb ultra or sms-ultra neo or the sotm switch all the upgraded special edition to a 75 ohm. Reason, I am getting a Mutec Ref10 SE120 that has only 2 50 ohm outputs. 

I was chatting with Rajiv and he pointed me to the following https://docs.sotm-audio.com/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=manuals:sclk-ex_operating_instructions-en.pdf

Rajiv recommended I post my questions here to get collective inputs. 

Has anyone done this mod before on the sclk-ex  with a cable that has "MCX connector on one end, and a female 75 ohm BNC" on the other unplugging Pin 11 and using Pin 10?

If so, I think the cable and connector quality will matter as it sits in the critical path of expensive BNC cables that connect to it.

If it is discussed elsewhere in this thread or other threads, please point me to it. Also please recommend the best MCX to 75ohm bnc cable I can buy and best place to get it?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Jaideep

One point to keep in mind here.  The clock board (sCLK-EX) in the SOtM ultra units has connectors for a 50 ohm clock feed and another for a 75 ohm clock feed.  One thing you cannot do is disconnect the feed to one clock input on the board, and then add a feed to the other clock input on the board.  The reason is that the boards are set up by SOtM with specific firmware to use either the 50 ohm input or the 75 ohm input.  As far as I am aware, there is no way of changing the firmware yourself.  So they only way to change a tX-USBultra or sMS-200ultrafrom from 50 ohm to 75 ohm would be to send it back to SOtM for the firmware swap.

I recall this information from maybe a couple of years back, so I cannot be sure it is 100% accurate today.  As a suggestion, you could contact May Park at SOtM for advice, she is always very helpful.

Windows 10 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, SOtM sMS-200Ultra, tX-USBultra, Paul Hynes SR4 (x2), Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection.

TX-USB Ultra:

if you want an real Clock update for the reclocker, forget the Masterclock-Option.

I did a modification last Month. Instead of using a dedicated 10Mhz-external reference Clock, i ignore the sCLK-EX Board, and use the Cable from sCLK Clock Signal Output and connect it to a reference 12MHz-Clock(50ohm). Technicaly its the better solution. The sCLK do not need to transform the 10MHz into 12Mhz that is used by the USB-Reclocking-Section. The result is a  cleaner and more dynamic  Sound than possible with a external 10MHz-Clock Input.

happy listening

Sunny

On 2/11/2021 at 3:07 AM, Confused said:

One point to keep in mind here.  The clock board (sCLK-EX) in the SOtM ultra units has connectors for a 50 ohm clock feed and another for a 75 ohm clock feed.  One thing you cannot do is disconnect the feed to one clock input on the board, and then add a feed to the other clock input on the board.  The reason is that the boards are set up by SOtM with specific firmware to use either the 50 ohm input or the 75 ohm input.  As far as I am aware, there is no way of changing the firmware yourself.  So they only way to change a tX-USBultra or sMS-200ultrafrom from 50 ohm to 75 ohm would be to send it back to SOtM for the firmware swap.

I recall this information from maybe a couple of years back, so I cannot be sure it is 100% accurate today.  As a suggestion, you could contact May Park at SOtM for advice, she is always very helpful.

Good point. I just started talking to May regarding an issue with the Sotm Ultra NEO after the Roon 1.8 update. It is no longer discoverable  by the Roon control client. It is visible on the net through the browser. Beautiful sounding piece but this type of flaky stability, I hope they fix it for good. 

On 2/11/2021 at 8:52 AM, sunny_time_99 said:

TX-USB Ultra:

if you want an real Clock update for the reclocker, forget the Masterclock-Option.

I did a modification last Month. Instead of using a dedicated 10Mhz-external reference Clock, i ignore the sCLK-EX Board, and use the Cable from sCLK Clock Signal Output and connect it to a reference 12MHz-Clock(50ohm). Technicaly its the better solution. The sCLK do not need to transform the 10MHz into 12Mhz that is used by the USB-Reclocking-Section. The result is a  cleaner and more dynamic  Sound than possible with a external 10MHz-Clock Input.

happy listening

Sunny

Sunny, Can you please elaborate a little more. Which 12Mhz-clock exactly are you referring to? Are you concerned about the sampling up from 10 to 12?

Looks like you are still using an external clock, but instead of 10, it is 12 and you bypass the board. Is that right? Please indicate model numbers of the 12Mhz clock.

Thanks,

Jai

2 hours ago, Johnseye said:

I've been using the Planet Tech MGB-TLX SFPs.  Does anyone have experience with Finisar FTLX1475D3BCV, FTLF1318P3BTL, 1321 or 1324 that they can speak to in comparison?

Here were my impressions of the MGB-TLX, FTLF1318PBTL, and FTLF1324P3BTL.  The "older" Finisar which I reference is the FTLF1324P3BTL, and the "newer" Finisar is the FTLF1318P3BTL.  [I purchased the FTLF1321P3BTL last November, but they vanished into the DHL ether.  I still waiting for a refund.]

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/page/679/?tab=comments#comment-1064229

7 hours ago, Johnseye said:

I've been using the Planet Tech MGB-TLX SFPs.  Does anyone have experience with Finisar FTLX1475D3BCV, FTLF1318P3BTL, 1321 or 1324 that they can speak to in comparison?

I've tried the Planet Tech and both the Finisar 1324 and 1318.  My favorite is the 1324.  I do agree with @auricgoldfingerthat the midrange of the 1324 is somewhat recessed relative to the 1318, but in my system that's a plus.  The 1318 was a bit too forward at times for me. 

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Chord Hugo TT2 

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha and Delta power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, ASC isothermal tube traps

49 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Thanks guys, that helps.  Anyone try FTLX1475D3BCV yet?  From another post I believe @jabbr had and was using it.

That’s an SFP+ transceiver.  I haven’t tried it as I was under the impression that I was limited to SFP with my ER and OM.  I believe one would need an FMC that supports 10 Gb networking.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Chord Hugo TT2 

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha and Delta power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, ASC isothermal tube traps

It's a 1GB and 10GB SFP+.  Not sure if you'd need a 10G compatible device or if it works in a 1G device.  Are you certain it is incompatible with the ER and OM?  I was thinking about using it with a Solarflare card but also would like to understand it's other compatible devices.

1 hour ago, Johnseye said:

It's a 1GB and 10GB SFP+.  Not sure if you'd need a 10G compatible device or if it works in a 1G device.  Are you certain it is incompatible with the ER and OM?

No, I’m not certain.  It looks like there might be backwards compatibility.  @jabbr would know.

5 hours ago, Johnseye said:

It's a 1GB and 10GB SFP+.  Not sure if you'd need a 10G compatible device or if it works in a 1G device.  Are you certain it is incompatible with the ER and OM?  I was thinking about using it with a Solarflare card but also would like to understand it's other compatible devices.

What's on the other side of the Solarflare card? If it's also 10Gb SFP+ capable go for the industrial model.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

12 minutes ago, lmitche said:

What's on the other side of the Solarflare card? If it's also 10Gb SFP+ capable go for the industrial model.

The other end of the Solarflare will be an EtherRegen.  I could use the Melco there, but neither are 10G.  The Solarflare will be the only device that's 10G in my entire network.  I'd been reading some positive reviews about it, was considering the JCAT Net Card XE and thought I'd give the Solarflare a shot first.

This would also give me the opportunity to put these SFPs in other devices for a comparison with the Planets.

So you raise a good point Larry, would there be a compatibility issue? I could put the same SFP at both ends but will need to make sure it will work in them.

11 hours ago, Johnseye said:

The other end of the Solarflare will be an EtherRegen.  I could use the Melco there, but neither are 10G.  The Solarflare will be the only device that's 10G in my entire network.  I'd been reading some positive reviews about it, was considering the JCAT Net Card XE and thought I'd give the Solarflare a shot first.

This would also give me the opportunity to put these SFPs in other devices for a comparison with the Planets.

So you raise a good point Larry, would there be a compatibility issue? I could put the same SFP at both ends but will need to make sure it will work in them.

While not required, I always use the same SFPs at both ends of the fiber. And in my case everything is SFP+ capable. Have you considered a 10gbps switch for use with the Solarflare? I hear Mikrotik has a good one that is affordable.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

2 hours ago, lmitche said:

While not required, I always use the same SFPs at both ends of the fiber. And in my case everything is SFP+ capable. Have you considered a 10gbps switch for use with the Solarflare? I hear Mikrotik has a good one that is affordable.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I have an sNH-10G, EtherRegen and Melco.  I don't necessarily "need" a 10gbps switch now but will keep it in mind.

Spotify sounds not too bad, little 44.1 out nord easy stream some x4  isilencers, with job insecurity happy for now while others push the boundaries. Its free for me..

Qobuz hi res sounds better though. Down played from 196...

The beauty is you can trial the HD and see. Roon tidal is king but i do like the system, easy to use.

Even non cutting edge can be enjoyable.