IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

10 hours ago, fds said:

Really a mystery to me why Euphony/Stylus and OpticalRendu do require to stay connected to the internet. Had I realized this before I probably would not have gotten the oR. Also it lowers my interest to demo Euphony/Stylus significantly. A clear advantage for AudioLinux in my view since this seems to be able to run offline.

I’ve had Euphony block in my firewall for last 6 months. No issue, but might be because I’m letting connection out but not back in. WAN_IN. 

Question regarding my spare version 1 JCAT eth card.

I use a NUC as a NAS (2 box system). I use M.2. Card for my files. The 7i7 NUC MB only has 1 pci express slot. I was thinking of using my existing JCAT eth card on my NUC. I see there’s a spare sata slot, so was thinking if there was an adapters for this. 

Move M.2 sata via M.2 to sata adaptor

Then with my free M.2 port get a M.2 adapter for PCI-e JCAT eth card

Would this work? If so do you know what adapters would work with your card? 

7 hours ago, barrows said:

My system plays music happily with no difficulties when the Internet is down

Indeed I have just checked that my oR plays music happily as well with the internet being down after having it booted up. I had used HQPlayer/NAA. No dropouts or interuptions. Very good news IMO. Thanks a lot @barrows for clarifying this and sorry for making potentially misleading claims above.

Apple Powerbook G4 15\", iTunes, Metric Halo LIO-8, active speakers

17 hours ago, Tatomek7 said:

Yes, I confirm, unfortunately. I wanted to keep it off (eR) my chain and wanted to save some $$, but ... is still there. I had one Buffalo on one side of the fiber and the PF Buffalo on the other ( closer to server ). Stacking them together at the PF side gave nice improvement. I have 15m fiber, so I've never experimented with attenuaters. 

19 hours ago, cool_chris said:

Am I so stupid carring the 4 Buffalows if 1 PF Buffalo will do the job ? And keep ER as a isolator just for accesd point ?

No. I keep them all because it is much better. 

We don't know why but stacking multiple switches brings additional benefits. 

By far the biggest improvement is when you get your first PF Buffalo 2016.

Please keep it as the LAST in chain .

Make sure to power it well.

Adding switches in a chain brings additional benefits.  Those are not as big as the first switch but it is still improving the SQ.

So no hope to save money as a PF clock by its own will improve significantly the SQ but will not make redundant the whole range of devices before it. Gosh... Well thank you so much for all your views. I think I will first the uR and sell my uR and hopefully the iR and later consider the PF. In any case I’ll report back on the comparisons between the eR and uR and the eR and the oR. All my best, Jorge

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

8 hours ago, John769 said:

Out of interest, did that group of finisars include the FTLF1318P3BTL that @auricgoldfinger likes?

No . I haven't try this one.

It's funny because I was searching for many months and testing extensive a lot of SFPs and changes between them were very big .

Each had a strong character in some aspects but was lacking in the others.

Once I plugged 1321 I said to myself

This is the one !

I lost totally need to test any of the SFPs, it's that good in my system.

I am sure there are few as good or better SFPs somwere in billions of options, but I don't need to investigate any further 🙂

5 hours ago, soares said:

So no hope to save money as a PF clock by its own will improve significantly the SQ but will not make redundant the whole range of devices before it. Gosh... Well thank you so much for all your views. I think I will first the uR and sell my uR and hopefully the iR and later consider the PF. In any case I’ll report back on the comparisons between the eR and uR and the eR and the oR. All my best, Jorge

You will love it .

Pink Faun Ultra is expensive but worth every penny invested.

This is the only upgrate that was able to elevate the SQ in every single aspect.

Absolutely everything is better.

You cannot point few things that are better with that clock as all the aspects of SQ are on different level.

Nenon was reporting that this is like listening to the garage band in comparison to the professional band on the stage.

I must agree with that.

On 11/25/2020 at 3:03 AM, soares said:

Here is cheaper, but maybe better diy XO solution, especially if you have more than one 25MHz switch:
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/60699-anyone-need-a-25mhz-crystalclock-to-theirs-buffalo-switch-nucs-or-at-andrea-moris-groupbuy-at-diyaudio/?do=findComment&comment=1092374

2 minutes ago, Downtheline said:

Ahhhh where's mine!  😝 good for you! That was a long wait! What dc cables are you using?

If mine arrived surely yours isn't too far behind :D. It is worth the wait! 

I am using the below cables + a DIY Mundorf Silver/Gold 15.5 awg 24-pin cable.

2 hours ago, Exocer said:

The SR7T arrived today. Its the two rail 19v, 12v option. So, the CPU will receive a dedicated 12v rail and the 19v output will go to the HDPLEX 800w DC-ATX module.

Everything powered up without issue.

Thanks @austinpopfor the timely sale of your PHD cables.

Super excited to give this a listen!

I will be comparing the SR7T to the HDPLEX 400w AC-DC SMPS power supply, which actually sounds very good in combination with the HDPLEX 800w DC-ATX device. Until now, this SMPS allowed me to hear subtle differences in kernel types, resources allocation tweaks, memory tweaks and various SFPs. It is a solid starting point for those on a tight budget.

PXL_20201128_214211760.MP.jpg

PXL_20201128_213857482.MP.jpg

Wow. Looks great. Are these DR rails ? What will you power with them ?

14 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Did you make the 24-pin cable yourself?  That's an impressive achievement using such thick wire.

I did. The cable is very short, at most ~4 inches, and only doubled up on 5V and grounds. The other wires were not connected. Since the wire is so thick I did not feel the need to connect the others and have had zero issues thus far. @Nenon helped guide me:

Pin 1 for +3.3v 

Pin 3 for Ground

Pin 4 for +5v

Pin 5 for Ground

Pin 6 for +5v

Pin 8 for PWR-OK

Pin 9 for +5Vsb

Pin 10 for +12v

Pin 16 for PWR-On (Cheap wire here since this is just for the power button function)

No JSSG360 since the cable is so short. Here is a pic (its not pretty):

72980971_ATXDIYMundorf.thumb.jpg.c960949849902d1632d67d2d7e7dd138.jpg

22 minutes ago, Dev said:

Wow. Looks great. Are these DR rails ? What will you power with them ?

This is not a DR model. The custom build process is closed and those are only available directly from the Custom build process. This is a SR rail SR7T, with T modules on both rails. The Turbo module is supposed to bring the SR performance closer to that of the DR SR7s.

It will be used to power my music server.

1 hour ago, Exocer said:

I did. The cable is very short, at most ~4 inches, and only doubled up on 5V and grounds. The other wires were not connected. Since the wire is so thick I did not feel the need to connect the others and have had zero issues thus far. @Nenon helped guide me:

Pin 1 for +3.3v 

Pin 3 for Ground

Pin 4 for +5v

Pin 5 for Ground

Pin 6 for +5v

Pin 8 for PWR-OK

Pin 9 for +5Vsb

Pin 10 for +12v

Pin 16 for PWR-On (Cheap wire here since this is just for the power button function)

No JSSG360 since the cable is so short. Here is a pic (its not pretty):

72980971_ATXDIYMundorf.thumb.jpg.c960949849902d1632d67d2d7e7dd138.jpg

This is not a DR model. The custom build process is closed and those are only available directly from the Custom build process. This is a SR rail SR7T, with T modules on both rails. The Turbo module is supposed to bring the SR performance closer to that of the DR SR7s.

It will be used to power my music server.

I guess the confusion must be from the use of the Jaeger connector. Since @Exocerbought these cables from me with Jaeger terminators well before the build was complete, it look like Stephen was able to accommodate the use of Jaeger output connectors on the back panel rather than the standard XLR that the non-DR standard units normally use. Am I right, Rob?

24 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I guess the confusion must be from the use of the Jaeger connector. Since @Exocerbought these cables from me with Jaeger terminators well before the build was complete, it look like Stephen was able to accommodate the use of Jaeger output connectors on the back panel rather than the standard XLR that the non-DR standard units normally use. Am I right, Rob?

That is correct, Rajiv. I'm glad this came up in my talks with Stephen and that he was able to accommodate. When I purchased these from you I had assumed they were compatible by default ( I didn't read Rajiv's description well enough 😁). This modification did come at a small cost.

Mine arrived on Thursday.  It is also a double rail, with one fixed at 12 volt.  and the other variable 5,7,9 and 12 volt.  Initially I had two SuperFarad3 for the EtherREGEN and the Modem-Router.  Then I added a Sonore Optical Module and decided to buy the SR7 for the EtherRegen and OM.  As good as the Farad is, the SR7 is even better.  Now I regret not missing a triple rail

78587AF0-2977-45FC-85AA-948B35793246.jpeg

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

On 11/24/2020 at 7:54 PM, Tatomek7 said:

You will not know the answer as long, as you will not check it in you chain. I have 3 different Finisars, Planet, Startech and 1321 sounds not bad, but I'm not sure if I like it without any but... . 1321 with some tubes in my DAC sounds little bit too mellow, when Startech one sounds with other ones too bright. As 1321 is really cheap ( I paid for 4 of them 35$ (shipping incl. ), the risk is acceptable 😃  If you will not like them, always you can use them to separate your WiFi router.

What is your favourite SFP from your list?