IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

16 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Just installed the 1321's over the 1324's I had and I would say, without doing A/B the top end is less harsh. Playing violins now and sounds great. Perhaps a bit less detail but seemingly a bit more musical and less in your face. They'll stay in place. 

Thanks for the update. Kindly provide more impressions as you get a better handle on what's going on. 

1 hour ago, charlesphoto said:

Just installed the 1321's over the 1324's I had and I would say, without doing A/B the top end is less harsh. Playing violins now and sounds great. Perhaps a bit less detail but seemingly a bit more musical and less in your face. They'll stay in place. 

I am so glad you like my higest recommendation from my top selection of SFPs.

I still experiment with others but no one gets even close to 1321.

1 hour ago, adamaley said:

Thanks for the update. Kindly provide more impressions as you get a better handle on what's going on. 

I am many weeks with that SFP. Some already tried to follow my findings.

Glad they like it.

It offers excellent balance of all aspects and very low noise.

I think I should call it "universal" SFP with all important aspects like musicality , authority, detail and control 👌 

Again this SFP is All in One for me.

Also is very solid so it is not changing character with time once burned in , but I got used SFPs to avoid the burning process that might take several weeks.

3 hours ago, cool_chris said:

Glad they like it.

I think I should call it "universal" SFP with all important aspects like musicality , authority, detail and control 👌 

Also is very solid so it is not changing character with time once burned in , but I got used SFPs to avoid the burning process that might take several weeks.

@cool_chris   I don't stream, neither use a NAS and have everything in the local M.2 drive. However, I am using Fiber NIC in my server to connect to the network (for Roon/Euphony). I am using a Planet tech but don't remember the model. Have you experimented or know if in this situation the SFP would matter ? I guess it probably does to some extent but wanted to check if anybody has any experience in this particular case. You might have already posted the particular sfp module but if you don't mind, can you post a link one more time ? If its not too expensive, I might give it a try. Is this the one ?

3 hours ago, cool_chris said:

Glad they like it.

Esp finding piano to be much better. I typically use piano sounds as my canary in a coal mine so to speak. Any concerns about burning out the laser in this one used over short distances do you think? Rather not use attenuators. They are rather cheap on the used market so not too concerned if down the road I'd need to replace...

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

9 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

From Cool Chris a couple of pages back: 

FTLF1321p1BTL

So 1321 on the pucture is much closer to planetech, but not as mechanical sounding.

Also this one has very good focuse and authority. Not as good as Startech but I think it is a great balance of all 3 in 1 SFP.

So what you get in 1321 is about  80% of detail focuse and authotity that Startech has.

90% of what Planetech offers being very well balanced in SQ.

80% of space and delicacy that is in 1324 without being harsh.

And it is do cheap that it is no brainer to get. I paid 20 Euro for 1321 SfP so 40 in total for a pair. 

I have collected few dozens of SFPs to find the one for me .

Choice of SFP is one of the biggest SQ changer you can have. 

It has much bigger effect than most of things we do.

Thanks @charlesphoto I see couple of posts back @cool_chrisposted an image of the sfp with model FTLF1321p1BTL-HW. Does the -HW suffix matter ? just curious....

I was looking to try a glass fiber Toslink, so wanted to know a decent cleaning technique. All of the rated gear is industrial 1 wipe antistatic dry and wet techniques. Purpose made for internal and external connections you gents use on fiber networks. No ones mentioned good cleaning here that ive seen but would it help in the sound department reducing errors. Or is it failure or just works with fiber?

Just a thought.... and say hi to all here..

Good luck

Dave

Ect..

https://www.fttx-garage.com/claprod_view.aspx?TypeId=50051&Id=369&FId=t28:50051:28

https://www.fttx-garage.com/claproducts.aspx?TypeId=50045&FId=t28:50045:28&flang=0&cur=0

https://www.fttx-garage.com/claproducts.aspx?TypeId=50046&FId=t28:50046:28&flang=0&cur=1

21 hours ago, austinpop said:

I suspect you might be surprised, but it’s your call. Good luck with your next steps!

Tough choices my friend! 🤗

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

20 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

While Im burning in my PlanetTech SFPs, Ive been going back and forth to compare between an optical connection and an ethernet connection into the EtherRegen to contrast the difference (then on to an UltraRendu).  Just doing this the difference is an eye opener. There is not a clear cut winner in all respects but there is definitely a noticeable difference. So I will go out on a limb and say YES - there will be a difference between eR  + uR and eR + oR. However will it be an improvement? I cant answer that as its so system dependent, plus finding the right sounding SFP is another chapter in getting the sound to your taste.

Oh and another finding. I had a USB tweak between the UltraRendu downstream to the MScaler. It was a definite improvement. However with the optical connection, what ever that tweak was doing is no longer needed, in fact it sounds worse with the tweak in place with an upstream optical connection. So changing something upstream made the downstream tweak not just irrelevant but a negative. Im just thinking about that IsoRegen...

Plus from the parts mentioned the outgoing USB in the OpticalRendu sounds like the parts list for the Phoenix. Im not saying its as good as, but as Barrows suggests, you might find the OpticalRendu output by itself is actually better than having an IsoRegen in the chain. Or like me, by making a tweak upstream, the IsoRegen is less necessary.

Thank you for your views. Following your reasoning that I also share the oR might improve the sound. On the iR I had different results  with different setups including the cumulative ones with several devices in cascade. Here it was not so clear as in one or two situations the iR become redundant with a smaller number of devices. With the current system it makes a different, so it’s not a clear cut. 

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

15 hours ago, Tatomek7 said:

I did the same with positive results. On the other side I have eR and it's connected with 2  Buffalos ( one PF moded ) with fiber. 

Thanks for sharing. Do you’re saying that even with the PF mod, the eR and an extra Buffalo make a difference? 

2 hours ago, soares said:

Thanks for sharing. Do you’re saying that even with the PF mod, the eR and an extra Buffalo make a difference? 

Am I so stupid carring the 4 Buffalows if 1 PF Buffalo will do the job ? And keep ER as a isolator just for accesd point ?

No. I keep them all because it is much better. 

We don't know why but stacking multiple switches brings additional benefits. 

By far the biggest improvement is when you get your first PF Buffalo 2016.

Please keep it as the LAST in chain .

Make sure to power it well.

Adding switches in a chain brings additional benefits.  Those are not as big as the first switch but it is still improving the SQ.

8 hours ago, Dev said:

@cool_chris   I don't stream, neither use a NAS and have everything in the local M.2 drive. However, I am using Fiber NIC in my server to connect to the network (for Roon/Euphony). I am using a Planet tech but don't remember the model. Have you experimented or know if in this situation the SFP would matter ? I guess it probably does to some extent but wanted to check if anybody has any experience in this particular case. You might have already posted the particular sfp module but if you don't mind, can you post a link one more time ? If its not too expensive, I might give it a try. Is this the one ?

Thanks to everyone who already answered this to Dev. 

I wanted to add to this that if you keep your server connected to any network wifi or lan it is always degradating sound .

Try to turn music on your server playing 

and than physically disconnect lan cord.

You will hear what your network is doing to the sound .

It is so much better without network.

So if you keep it at all times because of the remote function adding a good switch WILL be very beneficial to SQ of songs played from the internal drivers .

So if you do not stream you still need a good switch . PF Buffalo 2016 preferred as it is on pair with Telegartner Gold swich with some aspects that are better in Buffalo as both Nenon and Austinpop pointed already.

8 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Esp finding piano to be much better. I typically use piano sounds as my canary in a coal mine so to speak. Any concerns about burning out the laser in this one used over short distances do you think? Rather not use attenuators. They are rather cheap on the used market so not too concerned if down the road I'd need to replace...

No . No short term problem.

We don't know about long term reliability but as of now 2 - 3 years is no problem. 

I think it will last 5 to 10 years.

I got 5dB , 10dB and 15dB attenuators and the first impression was encouraging but after playing with them for about 2 months I decided that the best place for them is garbage box. 

It takes the focuse out of controll.

Instruments are not sharp anymore. 

So NO . No attenuators .Not even with 80 km Startech used with 1m LC cable .

25 minutes ago, cool_chris said:

So if you keep it at all times because of the remote function adding a good switch WILL be very beneficial to SQ of songs played from the internal drivers .

Using the oR, I believe there is no possibility to switch of the WIFi or LAN connection to the outside world. Or has anyone maybe found a way to get music from the OpticalRendu without being connected to the WWW?

Same applies to all users of Euphony/Stylus to my understanding. Or is there someone there who has found a way to use this without being connected to the WWW?

Apple Powerbook G4 15\", iTunes, Metric Halo LIO-8, active speakers

35 minutes ago, cool_chris said:

Thanks to everyone who already answered this to Dev. 

I wanted to add to this that if you keep your server connected to any network wifi or lan it is always degradating sound .

Try to turn music on your server playing 

and than physically disconnect lan cord.

You will hear what your network is doing to the sound .

It is so much better without network.

So if you do not stream you still need a good switch . PF Buffalo 2016 preferred as it is on pair with Telegartner Gold swich with some aspects that are better in Buffalo as both Nenon and Austinpop pointed already.

Thanks. I have a pair of Buffalo 2016 but they aren’t PF’ed. I also use an eR between the router and the Buffalo (using one at the moment). Unlike many who uses copper RJ45 in their server, I have been experimenting with the Fiber NiC and it does benefit the sq by cutting down the network noise. I am not very sure how much benefit I will get with the PF Buffalo with locally sourced files and hence didn’t venture into it. The higher cost of the PF clock was also a deterrent factor in my case. 

18 minutes ago, fds said:

Using the oR, I believe there is no possibility to switch of the WIFi or LAN connection to the outside world. Or has anyone maybe found a way to get music from the OpticalRendu without being connected to the WWW?

Same applies to all users of Euphony/Stylus to my understanding. Or is there someone there who has found a way to use this without being connected to the WWW?

Euphony verifies the license from time to time and it needs to connect to their server in order to do it, which means it needs to be connected to the internet. I haven’t found a way to bypass this but it would be nice to have this disabled, especially when internet is down it keeps popping annoying messages.

22 minutes ago, Dev said:

Thanks. I have a pair of Buffalo 2016 but they aren’t PF’ed. I also use an eR between the router and the Buffalo (using one at the moment). Unlike many who uses copper RJ45 in their server, I have been experimenting with the Fiber NiC and it does benefit the sq by cutting down the network noise. I am not very sure how much benefit I will get with the PF Buffalo with locally sourced files and hence didn’t venture into it. The higher cost of the PF clock was also a deterrent factor in my case. 

Nenon tested it first and his conclusion was that 1 PF Buffalo was much better than 4 regular Buffalo stacked.

I was able to confim that in my system.

It is jaw dropping upgrade. 

So if you have 2 Buffalo 2016 you might want to get the Pink Faun clock installed in at least one .

I got 2 Buffalows with Pink Faun clocks and I love it . The othet 2 are still in chain waiting for me to collect cash to upgrade them with PF clocks. 

I am not sure if I need 4 fully moded PF Buffalows but wanted to try.

Austinpop got the PF Buffalo from Nenon for testing and in his very detailed comparison it was a clear winner.

4 hours ago, soares said:

Do you’re saying that even with the PF mod, the eR and an extra Buffalo make a difference?

Yes, I confirm, unfortunately. I wanted to keep it off (eR) my chain and wanted to save some $$, but ... is still there. I had one Buffalo on one side of the fiber and the PF Buffalo on the other ( closer to server ). Stacking them together at the PF side gave nice improvement. I have 15m fiber, so I've never experimented with attenuaters. 

10 hours ago, Dev said:

FTLF1321p1BTL-HW. Does the -HW suffix matter ? just curious....

You will not know the answer as long, as you will not check it in you chain. I have 3 different Finisars, Planet, Startech and 1321 sounds not bad, but I'm not sure if I like it without any but... . 1321 with some tubes in my DAC sounds little bit too mellow, when Startech one sounds with other ones too bright. As 1321 is really cheap ( I paid for 4 of them 35$ (shipping incl. ), the risk is acceptable 😃  If you will not like them, always you can use them to separate your WiFi router.

1 hour ago, Dev said:

Euphony verifies the license from time to time and it needs to connect to their server in order to do it, which means it needs to be connected to the internet.

Really a mystery to me why Euphony/Stylus and OpticalRendu do require to stay connected to the internet. Had I realized this before I probably would not have gotten the oR. Also it lowers my interest to demo Euphony/Stylus significantly. A clear advantage for AudioLinux in my view since this seems to be able to run offline.

8 hours ago, fds said:

The opticalRendu, and all other Sonore Rendu's for that matter, do not need an Internet connection to be able to play music.  They do need an Internet connection to boot up properly, and for software updates, etc.  but they will play music with no Internet connection once up and running.

I use the Signature Rendu SEoptical here, and I live in the mountains with a rather poor Internet service.  My system plays music happily with no difficulties when the Internet is down, as long as I need not access the (web based) GUI which allows for changing the settings on the Rendu.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

10 minutes ago, barrows said:

The opticalRendu, and all other Sonore Rendu's for that matter, do not need an Internet connection to be able to play music.

Oh, that would be absolutely great. I believe I had a different experience maybe due to my network setup with dropouts as soon as the wifi connection to the Mac server was interrupted. Will try again tonight with a new network setup.

6 minutes ago, fds said:

wifi connection to the Mac server was interrupted

The above is not the same as "Internet".  Your WiFi connection to your Mac server has nothing to do with the Rendu, that would be related to what player software you are running and how it is controlled over WiFi. 

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio