IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

9 minutes ago, hurka said:

many outputs just disturbing each other.Im using only i2s.

If you look back in the thread you will see Hols found the SU-1 i2s to Holo DAC similar as tXusbUltra to usb Holo.  But he did not modify the SU-1 power supply with an LPS-1, so my guess would be that the SU-1 i2s with LPS-1 still trumps a single tXusbUltra via USB.   But, what happens if you add 3 more sclk EX clocks preceding the tXusbUltra in other components?  All bets off and I think the USB chain would surpass the SU-1 i2s in sound quality.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

7 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Roy, it will be nice to hear how you find the tX-USBUltra in comparison.  Hopefully you can do a direct USB only, drop the Ethernet, comparison.  I would be curious about just 1 EX against 1 EX , Ethernet vs USB direct.  Which I guess you can't do now that I think about it, with 2EX clocks in the sms-200.

My friend who is loaning me his tX-USBUltra also owns a standard sMS-200.  Using his BRIX (NUC) server with its standard USB port, he compared BRIX > tX-USBUltra > Chord DAVE against BRIX > sMS-200 > tX-USBUltra > Chord DAVE and in comparison, straight USB sounded flat and dull.  Just like me, he uses the "direct connection" with his sMS-200.  I'm pretty sure I will find the same thing with my setup that he has found and so my greater interest will be to see what happens with the Adnaco in the chain.  Adnaco with stock clocks + tX-USBUltra might give me some sense of how good the Adnaco might sound with its clocks replaced, especially since I believe they are both using the same TI USB chipsets.

10 minutes ago, romaz said:

My friend who is loaning me his tX-USBUltra also owns a standard sMS-200.  Using his BRIX (NUC) server with its standard USB port, he compared BRIX > tX-USBUltra > Chord DAVE against BRIX > sMS-200 > tX-USBUltra > Chord DAVE and in comparison, straight USB sounded flat and dull.  Just like me, he uses the "direct connection" with his sMS-200.  I'm pretty sure I will find the same thing with my setup that he has found and so my greater interest will be to see what happens with the Adnaco in the chain.  Adnaco with stock clocks + tX-USBUltra might give me some sense of how good the Adnaco might sound with its clocks replaced, especially since I believe they are both using the same TI USB chipsets.

So the Brix NUC usb out flat and dull.(only one dc input for all components!!!)

But my separately powered(u caps) mobo sound not.

4 hours ago, romaz said:

Roy, I take it your friend was using quality power supplies on his testing?  I don't understand what flat and dull mean in audio terms?  Sometimes some folks attribute electrical noise as being alive or full of energy. 

I don't have a lot of confidence in the Adnaco S3B in single mode, after reading an old review here, where they compared the Adnaco (powered with an LPS) to an SoTM Usb audio card and couldn't declare a winner. 

Page down about 3/4 to Obee.

As always I shall be interested in your findings.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

5 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Roy, I take it your friend was using quality power supplies on his testing?  I don't understand what flat and dull mean in audio terms?  Sometimes some folks attribute electrical noise as being alive or full of energy. 

I don't have a lot of confidence in the Adnaco S3B in single mode, after reading an old review here, where they compared the Adnaco (powered with an LPS) to an SoTM Usb audio card and couldn't declare a winner. 

My older z97 itx mobo usb sound dull and flat.external usb card help ,but new series 270 much much better.

sound galleries don't use any usb cards I think.Linn ,lumin makes only better separately power fed cheap clock.

sotm use special tcxo,ocxo?send picture pls,

master clock input?(1000dollar stuff)rubidium clock required?this is really funny

4 clock output?   the cables need short one ! cant put together with one clock.....

1 minute ago, hurka said:

My older z97 itx mobo usb sound dull and flat.external usb card help ,but new series 270 much much better.

sound galleries don't use any usb cards I think.Linn ,lumin makes only better separately power fed cheap clock.

May I ask what z270 mobo you are using?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

On 2017/5/11 at 3:48 PM, austinpop said:

Since there is so much interest, i do want to point out that I am still experiencing the random pause problem with my Ultra stack that I mentioned in an earlier post: 

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-the-sms-200-and-microrendu/?do=findComment&comment=659047

SOtM have asked me try a few different experiments to isolate the problem, and I have sent them the data. They seem very committed to solve the problem for me, so I'm quite hopeful. But I do want to be clear the issue still exists for me.

It's great that SOtM is committed to solve the problem. After using it for 2weeks now my tx-USB Ultra still experience this pause problem but it is a little different from your situation. I only have the pause problem when I use the LPS-1. When I use the stock switching power supply then there is no poblem. I have also tried it on different DACs including Holo Spring and T+A DAC8DSD, in different OS like Windows10 and Linux the result is the same. Just for your reference. 

1 minute ago, hols said:

It's great that SOtM is committed to solve the problem. After using it for 2weeks now my tx-USB Ultra still experience this pause problem but it is a little different from your situation. I only have the pause problem when I use the LPS-1. When I use the stock switching power supply then there is no poblem. I have also tried it on different DACs including Holo Spring and T+A DAC8DSD, in different OS like Windows10 and Linux the result is the same. Just for your reference. 

Is the stock switching supply at a higher voltage?  Like 9V?  Since the LPS-1 doesn't shut down and start blinking, it must be supplying enough amperage, but that doesn't mean the SOtM doesn't need more voltage.  I suspect from what your saying it needs more than 7V.  If you had two LPS-1's you could try doing a series and see if that solves the problem.  Like 5V and 3.3V

7 hours ago, romaz said:

To the ears of most (including mine), the Yggy sounds best via AES and to the extent that you made it sound best via USB says a lot.  Similarly, my DAVE sounds best via USB and this is no secret as even Rob Watts says the same thing.  Even with an Aurender W20 which has an excellent AES output (probably its best sounding output) and a $7k High Fidelity AES cable that I had on loan, the Aurender still sounded better via USB with my DAVE.  Having tested various USB-to-SPDIF adapters in the past with my DAVE including a Berkeley Alpha, modified Audiophilleo with LPS-1, SIngxer F-1, W4S uLink, iFi micro iLink (and a few others), I could never get SPDIF to sound better on my DAVE than USB.  That changed with the dX-USB HD Ultra and today, I have SPDIF sounding better on my DAVE than USB which is really an accomplishment.  It truly is amazing what a clock can almost singlehandedly do.

Yes, I agree this is a game changer. A lot of "conventional wisdom" regarding input types could be turned on its ear. For one, I think it brings synchronous clocking modes like S/PDIF and AES back into contention. I am still amazed you got S/PDIF sounding better than USB, given that in S/PDIF the clock is embedded in the data stream and has to be extracted!

Similarly, the simplistic view of asynchronous USB was that since the DAC was the clock master, the clocks on the source devices "shouldn't matter." Yet, a whole cottage industry around regenerators, decrapifiers and their ilk have shown that the source clock matters too.

The tX- and dX- boxes really allow a new level of flexibility in optimizing DAC performance.

7 hours ago, romaz said:

As I reached out to a friend who owns a Fidelizer Nimitra server, I was interested to know his experience since this server utilizes an SoC motherboard with a J1900 Celeron CPU and he told me he couldn't be happier with this server and that his user experience was very good.  With the latest version of Roon, he said everything runs smoothly.

Just a shout out to @mozes who I know is also running USB direct from Nimitra > tX > Brooklyn DAC, using a combo of JS-2 and VR Mini supplies.

7 hours ago, romaz said:

As long as the improvements keep coming, it's hard to stop but at some point, practicality has to set in and my gut tells me that if there are no bad clocks at the beginning of the chain, you won't need so many reclocking devices after the server.  Of course, this means that if you do a lot of internet streaming, you will also need to replace the clocks in your modem/router and so I am seriously considering it. 

Over on @Cornan's Experimental Tweaks thread, we've discussed this in the context of a simple goal:

• Make Tidal Great Again! Just kidding. Make the same track played back through Tidal sound as good as the same track played back locally.

I can tell you that as of now this is not true for me at all. Local files sound significantly better than streamed from Tidal. It also is where I plan to focus my experimental energy next. :D

2 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Roy, I take it your friend was using quality power supplies on his testing?  I don't understand what flat and dull mean in audio terms? 

I'm quoting my friend when I wrote "flat and dull" but keep in mind that he said this "relative to" BRIX > sMS-200 > tX-USBUltra > DAC.  In the same way that Rajiv described the soundstage collapsing when he replaced his sMS-200 Ultra with the mR, I'm sure he meant it as a relative description since those of us who own an mR know that its sound stage does not sound small.  You should also know that the dCBL-CAT7s that I received for testing came from this same friend and so with these cables in his BRIX > sMS-200 > tX-USBUltra  chain, SQ is definitely stacked in favor of the Ethernet configuration.  As far as PSU, he is using SOtM's recently discontinued mBPS-d2s.  Regardless, I will make my own determination.

2 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Yes, I have seen that thread.  There's not much out there on the Adnaco and so this represents only one data point.  However, what you see as a fail, I see as a victory.  The Adnaco S3B was not designed for high-end audio.  It was designed to allow USB transmission over long distances and so it has not been optimized for high-end audio...yet.  Adnaco also makes the JCAT Femto USB card for JPLAY and so they understand what audiophiles want and yet none of the audiophile components that went into the JPLAY card (like the Crystek clock and the linear regulators) went into the Adnaco.  The only thing the Adnaco has going for it is fiber.  What impressed me is that against the SOtM audio card and its much better clock and linear regulators, the Adnaco equalled it  With 3 clock replacements and with the replacement of at least 4 switching regulators (this includes the switching regulators on the PCIe card which I now plan to also replace), this card can only improve further.  Keep in mind that before I sent my cheap $20 switch to SOtM for clock replacement, I also tried it in my chain and powered by my LPS-1, it added nothing positive but with the clock replacement and replacement of its noisy switching regulators, it came back a hero.  As I combine the Adnaco with the tX-USBUltra later today, I am hoping this will give me some idea of just how much improvement I can expect but truth be told, I am actually expecting even greater improvement with an optimized Adnaco since we are talking about 3 clock replacements for the Adnaco vs only 1 clock replacement for the tX-USBUltra.  If I can get Paul Hynes to provide me the regulators that I need, this is where I am hoping this card can really distance itself.

22 minutes ago, hurka said:

ok romaz, nobody have sms 200 ultra but you have .

hard words coming.......

pay for you sotm  or not.

I have already detailed the amount of money I spent for my sMS-200 modification in a previous post and it is the exact same amount of money that @austinpop spent for his modifications.  Anyone could have approached SOtM like I did and they would have offered the exact same service.  I have received nothing for free and I have been completely transparent about my process, including my successes and failures.

6 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Is the stock switching supply at a higher voltage?  Like 9V?  Since the LPS-1 doesn't shut down and start blinking, it must be supplying enough amperage, but that doesn't mean the SOtM doesn't need more voltage.  I suspect from what your saying it needs more than 7V.  If you had two LPS-1's you could try doing a series and see if that solves the problem.  Like 5V and 3.3V

I've tried a bunch of PSU experiments with the tX, ranging from the LPS-1 at 7V/1.1A to stock SMPS at 9V/2A, HDPlex 100 at 9V/5A, to el Cheapo at 7.5V/3.3A.

It's not the PSU in my case.

10 minutes ago, hols said:

Thanks for reminding me to post an update on this.

The last experiment May asked me to try was to replace my Ayre Codex DAC with another. Serendipitously, this was the night before my planned listening session at @limniscate's. In over 5 hours of use, briefly with the DAVE, but mostly with the Yggy, I did not have a single pause.

So the finger is pointing at an interaction between the tX-USBultra and the Codex.

SOtM are in the process of acquiring a loaner Codex from their distributor in Korea to see if they can troubleshoot the problem in-house. I should know more in a few days how that is going. 

Yes, I am very satisfied with their level of commitment in resolving this issue.

2 minutes ago, romaz said:

I have already detailed the amount of money I spent for my sMS-200 modification in a previous post and it is the exact same amount of money that @austinpop spent for his modifications.  Anyone could have approached SOtM like I did and they would have offered the exact same service.  I have received nothing for free and I have been completely transparent about my process, including my successes and failures.

And before anyone asks - I have received nothing for free, nor did SOtM even know that I would post here with my impressions.

Heck - I even had to pay shipping to Korea and back. And that's not cheap. Thanks for that - FedEx!

28 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Yes, I agree this is a game changer. A lot of "conventional wisdom" regarding input types could be turned on its ear. For one, I think it brings synchronous clocking modes like S/PDIF and AES back into contention. I am still amazed you got S/PDIF sounding better than USB, given that in S/PDIF the clock is embedded in the data stream and has to be extracted!

Depending on what your bitrate and frequency/bandwidth requirements are.  There are limitations with those interfaces.  I liked the idea of I2S because it is less restrictive and supposedly less prone to jitter, but there are some clocking considerations to be made as that's handled differently.  I'm seeing some DACs with 2 channel HDMI and that's interesting.

Of course.

I have a large investment, and interest, in DSD content. This has nothing to do with the "DSD vs. PCM" format wars. As a classical music lover, I have accumulated a lot of my music on SACD, which I've then ripped to DSF.

Very few DACs accept DSD over anything other than USB, so my primary focus has been on the USB interface.