IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

3 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

It is actually not so much of a shock and makes sense. I have had similar experience. I upgraded my server to using LPS. silent PC etc. and all the spaghetti like Igalvanic have been removed. I also removed a tube stage that used to make the sound less harsh but it blurs the details and so it is removed when I switched to balanced output.  I have only single USB (optical) with a Regen adaptor that blocks Vbus connected from Server directly to DAC.   The sound is much more open, less processed but yes, details are more prominent and if the recording is poor it stands out more. I see your Antipodes Dxe is pretty hardcore and from what I read, it aims to have as little noise as baseline and has no filters added so it probably is quite a revealing server. And with the revealing DAC then you have this result. If you notice your best recordings are now sounding amazing then you are on the right track! (since improvement in a noise-free environment is most noted often in high quality recordings).  If I am right that you have PS audio which only does DSD (all PCM ---> DSD), which means clock and  power supplies most important (and probably speed too) any crap un between the server and DAC can be detrimental. I find DSD improvement is simply jaw dropping amazing and I can only do DSD256 max in my DAC. (PS audio does like DSD x 10 upsample?)

It is possible that the NUC/AL is more noisy in general than the Antipodes in general, just my guess, and leads to more noise to the DAC which is now somehow very sensitive to impure signal (or jitter or whatever they call this), sorry for layman terms... 

Yes I agree the Antipodes plus PS Dac are a great combo (I have had them for some years). All the benefits of my server and Dac were available before I went down the NUC route with other add ons. These made significant improvements to my original set up, which now are detracting from the over all SQ. The software upgrade has moved the goal posts considerably and it's very interesting how much potential there is in FGPA software over hardware. 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

15 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Did this SD card player (via I2S) still manage to beat your Antipodes DXe Server (via USB) by any chance?

https://sites.google.com/view/audiostuff/sd-player

http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4541

Thanks for asking. I am still in the adjustment phase as Windom has completely changed the sound of my system. Suffice to say for now I have dropped the Roon or other endpoint chain(s) and am focussing on the source. 

Even Roon core settings need testing again. Ie difference between local playback and Roon core/roonready on source is dramatic. 

The guys over on Tirna especially Nige have discovered something special and hopefully this will see more developments. I have ordered the parts to modify the SD card player, bypassing regs and upgrading the clocking and am also testing power supplies so will be a few weeks before fully functioning.

HOWEVER even the basic player with good power input, this little gem has outstanding SQ. The ease and natural quality to the sound has to be heard. The interface is basic (putting music on SD cards and a basic UI plus an I2S DAC) so will put people off. For me it’s worth it! No question. 

Even though I have been getting lots of micro detail and deep and wide soundstage etc from NUC endpoints, if like me you want a natural sound and to completely remove glare and hardness this is the route. 

I don’t know if this is off topic but it’s certainly a novel way to outstanding sound and music pleasure. This should have its own thread. 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

2 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

That's why we'd like to call it 臥虎藏龍 or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in English....

amazing info THANKS! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

I suppose theoretically if the power from AC mains is so clean and steady, then I guess the effect of PS would be less. That is not possible in real life at domestic homes.  The other explanation is that those people are deaf or their systems are so noisy that it won’t matter what PS rhey use.

Technically they can’t be deaf because they always hear each other’s opinions (but no one else’s!)

So looks like the new best is what combines and comes after the EtherRegen with a couple of examples being discussed here.  Another one highly recommended with ER by @gstew is the Allo USBbridge signature.

I have just received an EtherRegen which is burning in (connected as bridge to PS Audio DAC) and can now add to the glowing reports. 

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Middy said:

Thank you  Jean Michael, it was your excellent report that made me ask if any more experienced here have tried it. 

I've been so invested in a USB chain i am nervous about trying something different.  Plus have the cash....

Good luck

Dave😀

Note, the ERed-dock is not roon ready but they are working on it...

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/24/2020 at 7:48 AM, RickyV said:

IMG_1751.thumb.JPG.3662bf2a3037008ee720ee7eff5d6f45.JPG

The set through hole is left/above the +out. 

@RickyV Did you get this board from Alexey? The board pic on his site does not show the Set through hole?

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 13.41.48.png

1332884266_ScreenShot2020-04-08at13_50_05.thumb.png.3fcef32d047ba985795e14241f485656.png

16 hours ago, RickyV said:

I think that’s an older pcb from before the paralleling idea.

thanks Ricky

• 2 months later...
On 6/9/2020 at 8:00 AM, austinpop said:
I suspect the Schroeder method will give improvements across the price spectrum. Has anyone tried this for S/PDIF or other digital cables? If not, this is a call to experiment and report back. I'm curious to know what people find.

The Schroeder method - We have name for this now, thanks for sharing @austinpop!

Yes I have been using this method for various cables for some time with great results. As mentioned by @seeteeyou and with thanks to the Late Tubelover2  https://www.usaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1465&sid=d41bd38f0cfbd15e919ac0903008319a

I use dual pairs of ethernet cables for DC cables and even tried for RCA cables with great results - Ugreen for negative and Audioquest forest for positives. I haven't bothered with any other DC cables after finding this solution it is so good. 

DIY is needed to make good end connectors. I use these or similar (4 or 8 port versions for multiple rails) opened up and resoldered with Silver wire out to the appropriate connectors and all covered with a couple of layers of tinned copper braid. I see there are some commercial options for the connectors mentioned by @seeteeyounow which makes it easier to try.

2093812215_ScreenShot2020-06-12at11_04_57.png.2a6aacea90f967f8c6140d3e2df9e259.png

3 minutes ago, John769 said:

As in on the forum or, gasp, bit the big one?

from news on forums Rob sadly passed away suddenly. May he rest in peace.

18 hours ago, tims said:

@tapatrickI haven't seen these compact end connectors before; do you have a link to buy please?

Hi @tims, I have to ask just in case but you are aware that the wiring in these connectors is not correct and must be replaced for your own usage and correct polarity otherwise it could damage your equipment. I don't have links to correctly wired commercial items, but I think there are some in @seeteeyous posts.

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2020 at 11:19 PM, austinpop said:

Experiments with Vibration...

In keeping with low budget vibration control suggestions, here is a variation on the theme which I found worked well.

Put a 12" inner tube (not fully inflated) under each IKEA board.. For example you can get 3 for £13 here.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Inner-Tubes-Suitable-Nipper-Pushchairs/dp/B07B43MDXW/ref=sr_1_7?_encoding=UTF8&dchild=1&hvadid=80126942129458&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=12+inner+tube&qid=1595155786&sr=8-7&tag=mh0a9-21

EDIT: Courtesy of Barry Diament http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/vibration.htm

"What I've found is that all of our components are being substantially inhibited from delivering their best because they are subject to external vibrations.  By far, the most sonically and visually degrading are those vibrations in the ground that enter the component via its feet. "

12 minutes ago, matthias said:

How does it compare to your EC UC250 USB?

Thanks

Matt

I should have qualified my statement on Ghent cable as I've not done that comparison just yet. The EC UC250 is in place and I'm too busy enjoying the music sessions :)