IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

8 hours ago, Johnseye said:

I seriously hope the Extreme is the beginning of a truly well thought out and executed music server platform that can be followed by other companies in the future. The engineering,. attention to detail and design of the server is what the future should hold as a standard. 

Most of us don't have the means to build something of such high quality but we all try in what ways we can. If more companies learn from Taiko, innovating, improving, generating competition and mass producing we should begin to see more devices like this in the future. Of course we can always continue to build our own or tweak. 

I really don't see that happening.  There are reasons why the Extreme costs $25k, including Taiko's attention to detail and all the time they devote to continual maintenance and updating.  The machine is a work of art.  I doubt any other company will be able to even come close.  And once you get to a lower price point the customer expectations are very different.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

I am wondering about Rajiv’s upcoming review of the HSA1, SR1 combo paired with the Dave and the Extreme that must be absolutely phenomenal. I wonder if you have to have cat or dog hearing to keep up with that speed.

Has it been done before an Extreme and a SR1 in the same system? 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

11 minutes ago, RickyV said:

I am wondering about Rajiv’s upcoming review of the HSA1, SR1 combo paired with the Dave and the Extreme that must be absolutely phenomenal. I wonder if you have to have cat or dog hearing to keep up with that speed.

Rajiv will have the newly announced HSA-1b amp from RAAL-requisite. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

19 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Rajiv will have the newly announced HSA-1b amp from RAAL-requisite. 

Do you know what’s the difference between the HSA-1A and B amp?

And do you have an idea when the amp is delivered for review?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

2 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Many of the parts in the Extreme are commercially available.  There are certain components, including the power supply which are custom.  However, I don't see why any of it can not be duplicated by a company with the means.

It is not about the availability of parts. It is about the genius to put the right parts into the right composition. It is about excellent hearing and excellent technical understanding. I do not see this coming from another manufacturer.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

12 minutes ago, matthias said:

It is not about the availability of parts. It is about the genius to put the right parts into the right composition. It is about excellent hearing and excellent technical understanding. I do not see this coming from another manufacturer.

Matt

exactly!

how the parts are chosen, put together and optimized is where the magic lies.

that is why they are building their own switch, so they can control and jointly optimize the buffering and transmission of data from the switch to the extreme.  this is serious engineering, not cookbook putting together pieces of h/w

1 hour ago, RickyV said:

With the HSA-1A you can only use one type of headphone, the RAAL-requisite. With HSA-1B you can use the amp with both the RAAL-requisite and other type of headphones. That's the only difference.

2 hours ago, RickyV said:

Hah, I would hope not!

Not that I'm aware!

1 hour ago, RickyV said:

Not yet, but RAAL have promised to share these requisite details with me for the review.

And do you have an idea when the amp is delivered for review?

EDIT: RAAL soon. :)

1 hour ago, matthias said:

Matt

1 hour ago, cat6man said:

exactly!

how the parts are chosen, put together and optimized is where the magic lies.

that is why they are building their own switch, so they can control and jointly optimize the buffering and transmission of data from the switch to the extreme.  this is serious engineering, not cookbook putting together pieces of h/w

Not to diminish Emile's achievements, but if he can do it, so can someone else. And if there's money to be made someone will sell it.  Just look at the wide variety of DACs available today as a comparison not to mention older tech components like amps, speakers and headphones.  At one point those things didn't exist.  This isn't magic.  Have hope.

7 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Not to diminish Emile's achievements, but if he can do it, so can someone else. And if there's money to be made someone will sell it.  Just look at the wide variety of DACs available today as a comparison not to mention older tech components like amps, speakers and headphones.  At one point those things didn't exist.  This isn't magic.  Have hope.

Well said, the Extreme is the Ford model T, taking things to a new standard. History tells the rest....

49 minutes ago, hols said:

Coupled with improvements in the Linux OS created by my buddy/mentor and running HQplayer embedded + NAA we have been successful to build some servers that can match the SQ of the extreme(not only the bad time extreme but even the resurrected extreme). Comments are from occasional visitors during this COVID-19 times. And I am sure that Nenon's server too is at least on par with the SQ of extreme.

Thanks for the input Hols.  It's interesting to hear this from an Extreme owner.  It certainly helps keep reality in check.

52 minutes ago, hols said:

Congratulations Rajiv. I am sure you won't disappear. Just would like to share my own experience. After getting the extreme I have been very happy for about two months as if I am on top of the world and enjoying music most of the time. Suddenly the Roon update brings you from your dreams back to reality. At that time I just don't want to listen to the extreme at all. Tried a lot of tweaks but still cannot get back the magic until about 2 months ago when Emile's efforts finally reverted the situation. During that period of bad sound I turned my interests to building servers and learning a lot from Nenon's thread and StreamFidelity's thread. I chose HDplex H5 fanless chassis, powerful CPUs 9900K and 10700K, Apacer ECC Ram, HDplex 800W DC-ATX, DIY 24pin and CPU cables and DIY linear power supply from some longtime audiophiles. Coupled with improvements in the Linux OS created by my buddy/mentor and running HQplayer embedded + NAA we have been successful to build some servers that can match the SQ of the extreme(not only the bad time extreme but even the resurrected extreme). Comments are from occasional visitors during this COVID-19 times. And I am sure that Nenon's server too is at least on par with the SQ of extreme. Of course nobody knows what will happen when extreme brings up three new tweaks next week. Surely it is going to boost the SQ to yet another level. And we shall have to face new challenges? This is really exciting times for audiophiles. Cheers.

server.pdf 222.98 kB · 18 downloads

Hi, it would not be better in your server build  to rotate the hdplex 800w

180 degrees so that both atx are closest to each other?

16 minutes ago, basillus said:

Hi, it would not be better in your server build  to rotate the hdplex 800w

180 degrees so that both atx are closest to each other?

Actually no.  Even the shortest cable is too long when the 2 24 pin connectors are adjacent.   

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

1 hour ago, hols said:

This is really exciting times for audiophiles

So true! When I got my Extreme, I spent more time studying it than any other piece of hardware since I got my NeXT '030 Cube WAY back in the day.  I learned so much by studying the design decisions made by Emile and team, and I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface.  

There is as much (if not more) nuance in the configuration of the OS to match the hardware.  As we heard during the Great Disruption, even a small change on the software side could have a profound impact on SQ.  That cemented in my mind the criticality of synergy between SW/OS/HW to get optimum results from a digital chain.

Emile and team's huge contribution is advancing the state of the art and showing what is possible.  There are many paths up that mountain.  Once folks know something is achievable, we will find ways to figure out how to get there, and along the way figure out what attributes/factors really matter the most.  

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

3 hours ago, hols said:

Congratulations Rajiv. I am sure you won't disappear. Just would like to share my own experience. After getting the extreme I have been very happy for about two months as if I am on top of the world and enjoying music most of the time. Suddenly the Roon update brings you from your dreams back to reality. At that time I just don't want to listen to the extreme at all. Tried a lot of tweaks but still cannot get back the magic until about 2 months ago when Emile's efforts finally reverted the situation. During that period of bad sound I turned my interests to building servers and learning a lot from Nenon's thread and StreamFidelity's thread. I chose HDplex H5 fanless chassis, powerful CPUs 9900K and 10700K, Apacer ECC Ram, HDplex 800W DC-ATX, DIY 24pin and CPU cables and DIY linear power supply from some longtime audiophiles. Coupled with improvements in the Linux OS created by my buddy/mentor and running HQplayer embedded + NAA we have been successful to build some servers that can match the SQ of the extreme(not only the bad time extreme but even the resurrected extreme). Comments are from occasional visitors during this COVID-19 times. And I am sure that Nenon's server too is at least on par with the SQ of extreme. Of course nobody knows what will happen when extreme brings up three new tweaks next week. Surely it is going to boost the SQ to yet another level. And we shall have to face new challenges? This is really exciting times for audiophiles. Cheers.

server.pdf 222.98 kB · 49 downloads

very exciting Hols.

can you elaborate on the non-standardly-available parts of your extreme matching build?

specifically:

1.  the DIY linear power supply and where/how it is used in your design

2.  the DIY 24pin and CPU cables

3.  which Linux OS and could you share details of the improvements to the OS

4.  lastly, how did the final cost compare with an extreme?

thanks.  i think this is the first time i've seen a report of kit that matches the SQ of the extreme.  i have stayed away from DIY,  thinking it unlikely that the SQ would be in the extreme's league.

i'd be happy getting within shouting distance :)

so i may have to rethink skilling the DIY route if the road is clearly mapped out.

great work

24 minutes ago, cat6man said:

very exciting Hols.

can you elaborate on the non-standardly-available parts of your extreme matching build?

specifically:

1.  the DIY linear power supply and where/how it is used in your design

2.  the DIY 24pin and CPU cables

3.  which Linux OS and could you share details of the improvements to the OS

4.  lastly, how did the final cost compare with an extreme?

thanks.  i think this is the first time i've seen a report of kit that matches the SQ of the extreme.  i have stayed away from DIY,  thinking it unlikely that the SQ would be in the extreme's league.

i'd be happy getting within shouting distance :)

so i may have to rethink skilling the DIY route if the road is clearly mapped out.

great work

AFAIK, hols prefers a CPU which is optimised for HQPlayer and a NAA configuration.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

8 hours ago, hols said:

server.pdf 222.98 kB · 76 downloads

This is what I love about this thread! Thanks for your impressions @hols