IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

28 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

- SR4 19V => HDPlex group 1 => various motherboard + 12V EPS/CPU

- Keces P8 20V => HDPlex group 2 => 12V external usb HDD

@bodiebill is the P8 on group 2 a single or dual rail unit?

If single rail, have you considered switching it for the SR4 powering group 1, essentially switching the power supplies in the above usecases? 

2 hours ago, bodiebill said:

(1) Keces P8 dual rail 9V  =>  MPAudio DLS-HPULN 7V => Chinese LT3045 5V => DIY Supra DC cable => Elfidelity

It's no surprise this one is a winner. The Lt3045s are doing their job.

Multiple parallel and serial Lt 3045 chains here improve SQ from both SR4 and LPS1.2 DC outputs. I have them on every device that consumes 3 amps or less..

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

4 minutes ago, lmitche said:

It's no surprise this one is a winner. The Lt3045s are doing their job.

Multiple parallel and serial Lt 3045 chains here improve SQ from both SR4 and LPS1.2 DC outputs. I have them on every device that consumes 3 amps or less..

more precise: that consumes 3 amps or less and settles for 15VDC or less 🙂

audio system

So many questions. Thank you ALL for the tremendous help so far. Also, my apologies if this has been answered before.

I have an LPS 1.2 and I need to determine whether it makes sense to use it to power my Etherregen or to power my USB PCI-E expansion card (or Elfidenlity USB card).

This decision will drive my next LPSU decisions from MPAudio.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

I looking forward to when someone is starting to submerge the PC into oil and/or add liquid nitrogen for cooling 😀

And why not try to sink the LPS-1.2 powering a Rendu or SOtM into oil.  Have fun.

There is far too much pressure in Liquid Nitrogen will cause too much vibration :) 

I need to buy two or three more dc cables for my various Pilot Pro battery packs, OPTO.DX and DXP-1A5DSC/DXP-1A5S units, and Chord M Scaler, and am wondering if I should take the opportunity to try one or two different cables from the Ghent DC-GAC4 Gotham cables that have served me well so far (I wouldn’t be surprised to be told to stick with the same cable).

Looking at the options Ghent has available, does anyone have experience hearing how the Ghent DC-7N16C (16awg solid-core) and/or Ghent DC-7N18C (18awg stranded-core) perform in the same device compared to the DC-GAC4?  I do of course realise that any feedback must come with the rider that this is all system dependent.

I will be using double-regulated DXP units between my PP5s/SR4T-19 and the OPTO.DX units, M Scaler and Netgear switch, so there will never be more than 16v passing through the dc cables and most of the time not less than 12v (possibly less if and when I upgrade to the EtherREGEN).  The DXP units limit things to 1.5A.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

3 hours ago, str-1 said:

I need to buy two or three more dc cables for my various Pilot Pro battery packs, OPTO.DX and DXP-1A5DSC/DXP-1A5S units, and Chord M Scaler, and am wondering if I should take the opportunity to try one or two different cables from the Ghent DC-GAC4 Gotham cables that have served me well so far (I wouldn’t be surprised to be told to stick with the same cable).

Looking at the options Ghent has available, does anyone have experience hearing how the Ghent DC-7N16C (16awg solid-core) and/or Ghent DC-7N18C (18awg stranded-core) perform in the same device compared to the DC-GAC4?  I do of course realise that any feedback must come with the rider that this is all system dependent.

I will be using double-regulated DXP units between my PP5s/SR4T-19 and the OPTO.DX units, M Scaler and Netgear switch, so there will never be more than 16v passing through the dc cables and most of the time not less than 12v (possibly less if and when I upgrade to the EtherREGEN).  The DXP units limit things to 1.5A.

I think the next step is to move up to thicker DC cables. The problem is finding plugs. 
I don’t know if this is bigger than the  Oyaide one. Maybe you have to convince Ghent to manufacture his own plugs 😀

If people email him with a request, and many enough do, the result could be better DC cables. (Can they get better ?)

Same with AC cables if enough interest is there. 

3 hours ago, str-1 said:

I think this cable is worth trying:  https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc-7n16c.html

It's pretty inflexible with the JSSG360 shielding, so order a little longer cable than you normally would.

Not to change the current topic but I have compared the following to setups with GentooPlayer OS:

Option A:

1. USB: Startech PCI-E USB-C card -  https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/USB-3.0/Cards/2-port-pcie-usb3-1-card~PEXUSB312C3
  2. Cable AudioQuest Forest USB-C to B cable
  3. NIC : StarTech USB 3.0 Gigabit Nic with Realtek Chipset

Option B:

1. USB: Motherboard USB 3.1 Gen 1 to Elfidelity USB Filter
  2. Cable : Schiit Pyst
  3. NIC: Motherboard input (through PCH)

I believe it is too early to tell which one is better but Option A is providing better imaging, larger soundstage and an overall "cleaner" presentation with some leanness compared to option B. Both sound great so far... I will give the card some time to break in but I do think Option A will likely be what I stick with until curiosity sets in.

Now, @bodiebill feeds his USB cards with proper LPSU power, so it is possible I have yet to scratch the surface of each card's capabilities.

Note: I am feeding both cards via generic cable from HDPlex 400W DC-ATX adapter. A better DC cable is on order, so is LPSU power for the server.

Note2: In order to get this USB NIC to work with GentooPlayer, I had to switch to the PF-ST kernel. Otherwise, the NIC went undetected. I did not check if it was the PCI-E card that wasn't detected or the NIC itself.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Exocer said:

Not to change the current topic but I have compared the following to setups with GentooPlayer OS:

Option A:

1. USB: Startech PCI-E USB-C card -  https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/USB-3.0/Cards/2-port-pcie-usb3-1-card~PEXUSB312C3
  2. Cable AudioQuest Forest USB-C to B cable
  3. NIC : StarTech USB 3.0 Gigabit Nic with Realtek Chipset

Option B:

1. USB: Motherboard USB 3.1 Gen 1 to Elfidelity USB Filter
  2. Cable : Schiit Pyst
  3. NIC: Motherboard input (through PCH)

I believe it is too early to tell which one is better but Option A is providing better imaging, larger soundstage and an overall "cleaner" presentation with some leanness compared to option B. Both sound great so far... I will give the card some time to break in but I do think Option A will likely be what I stick with until curiosity sets in.

Now, @bodiebill feeds his USB cards with proper LPSU power, so it is possible I have yet to scratch the surface of each card's capabilities.

Note: I am feeding both cards via generic cable from HDPlex 400W DC-ATX adapter. A better DC cable is on order, so is LPSU power for the server.

Note2: In order to get this USB NIC to work with GentooPlayer, I had to switch to the PF-ST kernel. Otherwise, the NIC went undetected. I did not check if it was the PCI-E card that wasn't detected or the NIC itself.

Cheers

Interesting. Although hard to pinpoint which device does what as USB cards, cables as well as NIC's are different between both options.

And indeed I much preferred external LPSU power (with LT3045 cleansing) to the HDPlex 800W DC-ATX (even when fed by an SR4) for powering the Elfidelity.

And soon, I hope, my ASMedia ASM3142 10Gbps USB card will arrive so I can do a similar comparison.

audio system

22 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Interesting. Although hard to pinpoint which device does what as USB cards, cables as well as NIC's are different between both options.

And indeed I much preferred external LPSU power (with LT3045 cleansing) to the HDPlex 800W DC-ATX (even when fed by an SR4) for powering the Elfidelity.

And soon, I hope, my ASMedia ASM3142 10Gbps USB card will arrive so I can do a similar comparison.

yeah - too many variables changing at once. I would have likd to use the same cable but that was not an option. Even if I were to use an adapter there may be an SQ impact.

The NIC, I can switch back to the motherboard to do a more direct comparison.

Almost forgot to talk about the "USB 3.0 only" cable between the Adnaco / EverPro "dongle" and the source in front of that. They're blocking all pins related to USB 2.0 (i.e. only those 5 "SuperSpeed" pins at the bottom of USB 3.0 A plug should be connected) in order to "enforce" USB 3.0 connections while even better SQ could be achieved accordingly according to their experiments.

Obviously DC 5V power must be fed to that "dongle" accordingly without that VCC pin connected

http://www.everprotech.com/UploadFiles/files/admin/201602/U3D02AR%20Production%20Overview.pdf#page=2

Connector Size 4.0 *1.7mm

https://www.my-hiend.com/vbb/showthread.php?5404-走向超值而極緻的-HI-FI電腦訊源(連載)&p=226993#post226993

u1NIN5x.png

Similarly, 8 pins (A4, A6, A7, A9, B4, B6, B7, B9) are supposed to be blocked but it might be somewhat tricky due to the size of Type-C connectors

sP7GJya.png

1Xy4JkA.jpg

It's also important to keep the temperature down with a heat sink or two as shown below

https://www.my-hiend.com/vbb/showthread.php?5404-走向超值而極緻的-HI-FI電腦訊源(連載)&p=227278#post227278

I've gotta add one more thing as a disclaimer, we could use any USB gadgets or cables from Fibbr / EverPro / YOFC with our USB 2.0 DACs and DDCs but the endpoint / music server itself must have at least one USB 3 port. In other words, stuff like Allo USBridge Signature etc. with USB 2.0 ports ONLY won't work at all since that Broadcom BCM2837B0 SoC ain't fast enough.

In other words, most likely their products should have a different design when compared to Corning's USB 3.Optical cables with broader USB 2.0 compatibility on both ends.

BTW, I guess that maybe adding a "dongle" from Adnaco / EverPro might be able to solve a problem like this?

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/37764-usb-extenders-as-galvanic-isolators/?tab=comments#comment-849193

On 7/19/2018 at 1:48 PM, Audio said:

But very careful about USB extenders that does USB 3.0.  They can just do USB 3.0 and is NOT downward compatible with USB 2.0 standard which is what most DAC uses.  Avoid this at all costs, I am a victim and you will find those USB3.0 fiber USB extender going at very low prices.....you now know why.

2 hours ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Just a word of warning - I have the JCAT XE card and found both of my Slimrun optical USBs would stop communicating with the DAC.  This problem did not occur with the Ryzen onboard USB ports, though.  Real shame as it was very effective otherwise.

Did you by any chance remove the jumpers from the card? I wonder if that's the cause.

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

11 hours ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Just a word of warning - I have the JCAT XE card and found both of my Slimrun optical USBs would stop communicating with the DAC.  This problem did not occur with the Ryzen onboard USB ports, though.  Real shame as it was very effective otherwise.

That's interesting, thanks for sharing. The AMD B450 motherboard used here includes a USB 3.2 Gen 2 port from the PCH. The B450 (and upcoming B550) chipsets are produced for AMD by Asmedia, so I suspect these ports are close to the ASMedia 3142 in quality and function.

The new B550 boards will have 4 USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports direct to CPU, as opposed to the 4 USB 3.1 Gen1 direct to CPU ports on the current B450 boards. That's great, but it will be a bummer if the Monoprice fiber cable is no longer compatible with them.

When I get the time, I'll try the Monoprice Fiber cable with the onboard USB 3.2 Gen2 port. It is currently disabled in the BIOS.

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

On 5/28/2020 at 12:50 PM, seeteeyou said:

Speaking of Adnaco, we could consider replacing the clock for ASM3142 / ASM3242 with the same OCXO clock from SiTime that's relatively affordable

Thanks for sharing. The power supply could be managed via a PCI extension cable, Then cutting the power ribbon cable out and replacing with the dedicated power one. Which might give a very good and economical solution for the USB out.

Do we know what power the USB card requires from the bus, 3 or 12V?

rBVaSFsqDxWANydSABjehnaQujo891[1].jpg

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2