IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

1 minute ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Uptone doesn't need to compete with that which doesn't exist yet, if ever??  Uptone can switch gears much faster than a bigger company can.  So meanwhile can you start a different thread with this?  Until it becomes a reality, it really doesn't pertain to our discussion here.

They do exist, just haven't been released to the public yet. Hear about the Merging NADAC? Merging has been using Ravenna for 6 years with great success. But yes it's a big world of audio out there. I'm sure they can find weak links in other area's and come up with some sort of box to tune it up. Might need to be in the analog domain after the DAC though. 

2 minutes ago, romaz said:

It would be more credible if you weren't relaying 2nd hand information, which is hardly worth anything.  It would be more credible if you just came straight out and admitted you are in this industry and have vested interest in its success.  That way, I can at least understand why you would evangelize so heavily for a product that you supposedly have no experience with.

As I stated, if your product has merit, let it speak for itself.  As for your disrespectful comments toward Uptone, not cool, bro.  You won't win yourself any converts that way.

Not my product. I just like cutting else technology. But seems around here I'm the only one. I certainly don't need to win over any converts. When all of the DAC's on the market use this technology, you'll either need to keep your old junk forever, or give in and buy something new. 

6 hours ago, Silly goose said:

Not my product. I just like cutting else technology. But seems around here I'm the only one. I certainly don't need to win over any converts. When all of the DAC's on the market use this technology, you'll either need to keep your old junk forever, or give in and buy something new. 

Yes, we're all in the Jurassic age of audio here at CA.

Any products you want to promote other than those associated with Ravenna?

3 weeks ago you were asking what was better iTunes or HQPlayer, said stand alone DACs were yesterday's tech and said you don't have a gear fetish.  Then 2 weeks later you're a full fledged expert.  Nice troll.

Image result for dinosaur audio

7 hours ago, Superdad said:

Just to be a bit more clear about both the picoPSU and the HDPlex cards:

They are both switching regulator adapters.  That is, they use DC-DC switching converters to drop the one input voltage to 5V and 3.3V.  

Unlike the picoPSU (XT150 and XT160 versions) which run from 12V and just pass that--ideally LPS  sourced--12V to the motherboard, the 19V input HDPlex boards have to use fairly large switching converters to drop down to for the high-current 12V feed.

So regardless of whose power supply you choose, for "ATX" application I'd recommend you go with the 12V input picoPSU to best preserve the "goodness" of your LPS for the critical main 12V powering of your motherboard.  And if you have another supply or an LPS with an extra rail, then you can consider directly powering some important 5V things such as you OS and/or music drives.

Thanks, this is very helpful.  I did end up going with a thin mini ITX Q170T/CSM with onboard 12/19v DC so don't need the converter.  I had to give up PCIe and the addon NIC, but something had to give.  We'll see where the direction of 200 series chipset boards go and if an onboard 12/19v makes it on to any of them.  Currently there are none.  If Optane makes any difference in reducing memory access noise then I'd switch.

Paul is building me a 4 rail SR7 with the ability to switch to 19v if I go the ATX route one day.

And the fanboys revolt with their pitchforks and torches. Hey don't shoot the messenger. I'm just a clueless dummy. In 3 weeks I have learned more from a couple of emails and phone calls, than you guys have after years of chasing your tails on forums. Unfortunately the worlds best engineers don't hang out on forums. You must either send emails, or pickup the phone. 

16 minutes ago, Silly goose said:

And the fanboys revolt with their pitchforks and torches. Hey don't shoot the messenger. I'm just a clueless dummy. In 3 weeks I have learned more from a couple of emails and phone calls, than you guys have after years of chasing your tails on forums. Unfortunately the worlds best engineers don't hang out on forums. You must either send emails, or pickup the phone. 

We're fanboys of what?  You're promoting a product that isn't even in the market yet, basing your information on emails and phone calls?  Not only is that unscientific but you haven't even heard anything to make a comparison.  Unless of course you have a relationship with the company that you haven't disclosed.  Now you claim superiority through email and phone communication?  You're terribly misguided. G'bye.

10 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

We're fanboys of what?  You're promoting a product that isn't even in the market yet, basing your information on emails and phone calls?  Not only is that unscientific but you haven't even heard anything to make a comparison.  Unless of course you have a relationship with the company that you haven't disclosed.  Now you claim superiority through email and phone communication?  You're terribly misguided. G'bye.

I'm not so arrogant to claim I have more experience than the best in the business. You seriously would put more weight on my opinion? Pick up the phone. Send emails. Do your own research. Talk to real experts who have decades of experience. 

10 hours ago, Superdad said:

Ha ha.  The "Ravenna revolution" has been just a few months away for almost 5 years now.  

So wake us when the "revolution" starts and you have some actual board and software solutions to point to. -_-

This reminds me of the story of a local company; 'Energy Conversation Devices'(ECD), founded in 1960 by an out-of-the-ordinary, scientist-entrepreneur Stanford R. Ovshinsky, to research and develop his pioneering work in amorphous semiconductors (remember, back 50 years ago, long before 'Silicon Valley', any kind of semiconductor tech was way cool).

Then a young teenager, I was out with the family on a sunny Sunday excursion, when we passed the ECD facilities, and I spied a 'Chitty-chitty Bang-bang' style automobile parked out front ! Such appealing eccentricity moved me to look into the company, and follow it over the years and decades, from the local papers to Popular Science, to Scientific American. Sadly, when I checked up, just now, I find they closed up in 2012, 52 years, in all, is all... (their car battery tech is 'safely' in Big Oil's vaults, while their solar cell product lines moved into the mainstream of that industry)

But to the point: whetted by the press, the public kept waiting for marvelous products from this company with so much promise. But, year after year... nothing. What I eventually discovered was that Ovishinsky kept delaying any product release, while trying to lock up dozens of patents on all kinds of applications of his tech, until the world more-or-less passed him by.

The connection to Ravenna ? The time scale, and lack of 'boots on the ground'. (And, I think it's a pretty good tale, too :) )

Cheers,

3 minutes ago, Daudio said:

This reminds me of the story of a local company; 'Energy Conversation Devices'(ECD), founded in 1960 by an out-of-the-ordinary, scientist-entrepreneur Stanford R. Ovshinsky, to research and develop his pioneering work in amorphous semiconductors (remember, back 50 years ago, any kind of semiconductor tech was way cool).

Then a young teenager, I was out with the family on a sunny Sunday excursion, when we passed the ECD facilities, and I spied a 'Chitty-chitty Bang-bang' style automobile parked out front ! Such appealing eccentricity moved me to look into the company, and follow it over the years and decades, from the local papers to Popular Science, to Scientific American. Sadly, when I checked up, just now, I find they closed up in 2012, 52 years, in all, is all... (their car battery tech is 'safely' in Big Oil's vaults, while their solar cell product lines moved into the mainstream of that industry)

But to the point: whetted by the press, the public kept waiting for marvelous products from this company with so much promise. But, year after year... nothing. What I eventually discovered was that Ovishinsky kept delaying any product release, while trying to lock up dozens of patents on all kinds of applications of his tech, until the world more-or-less passed him by.

The connection to Ravenna ? The time scale, and lack of 'boots on the ground'. (And, I think it's a pretty good tale, too :) )

Cheers,

That was a beautiful tale.But most of the industry already is on board. They are building products with this technology as we speak. AES67 is a new universal audio standard  that's here to stay. A few fanboys on a forum are not going to have a power to stop it. Not sure why they will want to. It's only going to make everything better with no drawbacks at all. 

12 minutes ago, Daudio said:

This reminds me of the story of a local company; 'Energy Conversation Devices'(ECD), founded in 1960 by an out-of-the-ordinary, scientist-entrepreneur Stanford R. Ovshinsky, to research and develop his pioneering work in amorphous semiconductors (remember, back 50 years ago, long before 'Silicon Valley', any kind of semiconductor tech was way cool).

Cheers,

I think Stanley did ok.  I have his nickel metal hydride batteries in my Toyota hybrid cars.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

10 minutes ago, Silly goose said:

... A few fanboys on a forum are not going to have a power to stop it.

Not sure why they will want to. It's only going to make everything better with no drawbacks at all

Ehhh, getting a tad Paranoid there goose ? Chill out. Nobody wants/cares enough to get in the way, just being realistic about the actual state of affairs. No consumer product availability = Does not exist for the consumer.

Oh, and speaking of Fanboys...   :)   (I hope the irony is not lost on you)

P.S. No one needs to quote my entire post. Please just use the 1st few lines, or any part relevant to your reply. Not trimming your Quotes, makes every reader (including you) have to scroll more then necessary. And in this Brave New World of small screens and CA styling, scrolling is becoming more of an issue. TIA.

Just now, Daudio said:

Ehhh, getting a tad Paranoid there goose ? Chill out. Nobody wants/cares enough to get in the way, just being realistic about the actual state of affairs. No consumer product availability = Does not exist for the consumer.

Oh, and speaking of Fanboys...   :)   (I hope the irony is not lost on you)

So the Merging NADAC doesn't exist? Manufacturers are just getting their development boards right now. Their goals are to have products ready for RMAF 2017. Just because something doesn't exist on Computer Audiophile, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I can imagine in North Korea they don't believe freedom exists either. Once you pull your head out of the sandbox, it's amazing what you can discover. 

3 minutes ago, Silly goose said:

Just because something doesn't exist on Computer Audiophile, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I can imagine in North Korea they don't believe freedom exists either. Once you pull your head out of the sandbox, it's amazing what you can discover. 

Go away until you learn how to converse with adults.

I'm through with you ass of now - Ignore User

On 27/02/2017 at 1:04 PM, lmitche said:

Hi romaz,

Great to hear you were able to duplicate the SQ benefits gained from replacing an SSD with a hard drive. I am sure your SD card experiments will prove to be even better and I look forward to reading about your results.

Hi Larry,

I am re-reading this forum.

I am running Daphile and have it directly connected to sms200

I am using 

a Samsung USB SSD for music storage. 

Are you suggesting  a standard local storage 2.5" hdd in the Mac mini would be superior?

I'm not sure how I would power it with a LPS-1 though. 

Please advise

Geoff

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

3 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Hi Larry,

I am using 

Are you suggesting  a standard local storage 2.5" hdd in the Mac mini would be superior?

Please advise

Geoff

Yes, a HDD is a good suggestion. Unfortunately I have zero relevant Mac experience, so can't help with the lps-1 part of the question.

7 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Hi Larry,

I am using 

Please advise

Geoff

Since Daphile has a RAM play function, if you have enough memory that you can load entire album into the memory. I would suggest to stick with SSD. My take is that after loading the album onto RAM there's no SSD accessing activity. So the electrical noise can be kept to minimum.

The second reason I don't recommend a HDD for Daphile is that there's always vibration from the HDD even though you put entire album into RAM. And vibration can degrade the SQ.

3 hours ago, gadgetman said:

Since Daphile has a RAM play function, if you have enough memory that you can load entire album into the memory. I would suggest to stick with SSD. My take is that after loading the album onto RAM there's no SSD accessing activity. So the electrical noise can be kept to minimum.

The second reason I don't recommend a HDD for Daphile is that there's always vibration from the HDD even though you put entire album into RAM. And vibration can degrade the SQ.

Have you tried Daphile with a hard disk?  Just because an SSD isn't being accessed doesn't mean it isn't singing on the wire.

I like my SATA cable just long enough to fit.  Luckily my HDD sits almost next to the SATA connector on the mobo.  I use this 15cm (or 6") Akasa sata cable for my OS drive and audio data HDD. 

The shorter the better.  But at $4.99, it's expensive.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15214/sat-197/Akasa_PROSLIM_Super_Slim_SATA_30_Data_Cable_w_Securing_Latch_-_15cm_-_Blue_AK-CBSA05-15BL.html?tl=g2c433s1617&id=74PVaJoX&mv_pc=555

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)