IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

14 minutes ago, mriguy said:

You just enter the name of your computer (as shown at the top of the Sharing window in System Preferences) and just the name of the Shared folder, even if it's on a different drive. Is the name of your computer something like garys-mac-mini, or something like that? Be sure to get the slashes correct...  \\yourcomputername\sharedfoldername.  I took a screengrab of my Roon settings... hope this helps! Good Luck!

RoonSharedFolders.JPG

Thank you!

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

14 minutes ago, bobfa said:

I may be confused.

SSH SCP , etc to move files to the Linux box.

Are you trying to do that or just share from the Mac?

Sorry - I'm trying to add music to my Roon music library HDD that is attached to my Intel NUC running AL. I'm on a Mac and I tried the "Connect to Server" method using SMB and I can't get it to work. So I tried the method @mriguy recommended, which is not exactly what I originally wanted to achieve (being able to see the remote HDD on my Mac), but it should allow me to add music to Roon music library which is all I really want to do - if I could get it to work. 

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

10 minutes ago, gsquared said:

Sorry - I'm trying to add music to my Roon music library HDD that is attached to my Intel NUC running AL. I'm on a Mac and I tried the "Connect to Server" method using SMB and I can't get it to work. So I tried the method @mriguy recommended, which is not exactly what I originally wanted to achieve (being able to see the remote HDD on my Mac), but it should allow me to add music to Roon music library which is all I really want to do - if I could get it to work. 

Use one of the GUI based secure file transfer programs on the Mac to transfer the files.  I assume that you mounted the local drive in AL so the OS can see the drive.

SMB is not enabled by default in AL. 

2 minutes ago, bobfa said:

Use one of the GUI based secure file transfer programs on the Mac to transfer the files.  I assume that you mounted the local drive in AL so the OS can see the drive.

SMB is not enabled by default in AL. 

Okay thanks! I will try the secure file transfer program again. If SMB is off by default in AL, that would explain why it hasn't been working 😂

Other thing to consider is whether you're connecting with Root access.

User = root

P/W = audiolinux0

You need root to edit or create files in Linux

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

2 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Other thing to consider is whether you're connecting with Root access.

User = root

P/W = audiolinux0

You need root to edit or create files in Linux

Good point! I've been attempting to connect as user: audiolinux

You problem is that you want to copy some files?
What is the source?  If this source is using samba or nfs you can

1) Mount remote source with the remote mount option in audiolinux main menu
2) Mount internal HDD in audiolinux ( I think this is already done)
3) Copy the files with File editor (not ROOT) in the main menu

Please never login as root. You don't need to start samba server to copy the files

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

Okay I will try this @hifi25nl

I have trouble using File editor, but I will try again. 

Thanks!

38 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

Here a nice guide to Mdnight commander:

http://nawaz.org/media/docs/mc/mc.pdf

Thank you! That's very helpful!

@tapatrick:  Ian Canada's LiFePO4 power supply looks like a great solution.  At what post number or date in that thread are the latest details on how to purchase the board from him?  (It's a very long thread to wade through.)  Tnx!

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

10 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

@tapatrick:  Ian Canada's LiFePO4 power supply looks like a great solution.  At what post number or date in that thread are the latest details on how to purchase the board from him?  (It's a very long thread to wade through.)  Tnx!

Hi Bob. At the bottom of each of Ian’s posts is a link to his group buy with instructions.

For general info -  as with all power supply projects every care must be taken when handling and assembling this board. 10 A113 batteries pack a punch and every precaution must be followed to prevent shorting. Probably not one for beginners. 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

3 hours ago, tapatrick said:

At the bottom of each of Ian’s posts is a link to his group buy with instructions.

For general info -  as with all power supply projects every care must be taken when handling and assembling this board. 10 A113 batteries pack a punch and every precaution must be followed to prevent shorting. Probably not one for beginners. 

Thanks!  I didn’t figure out that the "GB2019" link meant "group buy".

Skimming the instruction manual, it looks like there is no possible configuration for paralleling batteries.  The A123 batteries are rated at 2.5 amp-hours.  Since my e32 DAC draws 1.5A at 12 v, it would run only 2 hours on battery power.  Doesn’t seem like a practical solution for my DAC.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

4 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

Thanks!  I didn’t figure out that the "GB2019" link meant "group buy".

Skimming the instruction manual, it looks like there is no possible configuration for paralleling batteries.  The A123 batteries are rated at 2.5 amp-hours.  Since my e32 DAC draws 1.5A at 12 v, it would run only 2 hours on battery power.  Doesn’t seem like a practical solution for my DAC.

Yes you are correct Bob. I'm still experimenting and will report back when I've had some more more time to test out, so it may not be a practical solution. However the improvement in sound is remarkable...

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

30 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

Yes you are correct Bob. I'm still experimenting and will report back when I've had some more more time to test out, so it may not be a practical solution. However the improvement in sound is remarkable...

to add...However the improvement in sound is remarkable, and this definitely worth considering for other low current devices as there are 5 rails to play with.

On 4/28/2019 at 11:25 AM, seeteeyou said:

They're listing that here for $70 plus a few bucks for domestic shipping within Japan

https://item.rakuten.co.jp/audio-s/nanoliquid/

Though we've gotta order through a shopping proxy service of some sort, I've been using this one myself and they're offering 10% off on Wednesdays / Thursdays / Fridays for Rakuten items

https://www.fromjapan.co.jp/en/special/order/confirm/https%3A%2F%2Fitem.rakuten.co.jp%2Faudio-s%2Fnanoliquid%2F/N_1/

The fees are either 300 yen or 700 yen

https://www.fromjapan.co.jp/en/help/servicePlan

I'm assuming that Squalene Oil wouldn't be considered flammable / combustible or else they couldn't have shipped stuff like skincare products outside Japan.

Thanks CTU! Seems to be a bit more hassle doing it this way versus paying ~ $20 more for the Amazon and Ebay sellers. My concern is in all of these situations, the possibility of fakes....

Anyone else bought from Rakuten or Ebay/Amazon?

The new HQPlayer 4.0 has been out for few days already, and I wonder how many people have tried it.  I have been using it to upsample both redbook and hi-res to DSD512 with just poly-sinc-ext2 and poly-sinc-xtr-lp filters for now, and the improvement over version 3.x is just "jaw dropping" good.  Highly recommended.

11 hours ago, elan120 said:

The new HQPlayer 4.0 has been out for few days already, and I wonder how many people have tried it.  I have been using it to upsample both redbook and hi-res to DSD512 with just poly-sinc-ext2 and poly-sinc-xtr-lp filters for now, and the improvement over version 3.x is just "jaw dropping" good.  Highly recommended.

The filters are all the same in both versions is my understanding. So also in the embedded which has been version 4 for some time now. 

Maybe you changed your hardware ? 😀

11 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

The filters are all the same in both versions is my understanding. So also in the embedded which has been version 4 for some time now. 

Maybe you changed your hardware ? 😀

I am not sure what the driver is for the difference, but am just happy and enjoy the improvement.  No hardware change of late other than installed version 4.0 HQPlayer.