IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

1 hour ago, Bricki said:

G'day Rajiv

How can we reduce our network speeds to 100mbps on Audiolinux?

Sorry for the dim question 🙄. I'm not a Linux native 😁

I have my server and endpoint bridged.

Thanks

Brendan

1 hour ago, Dev said:

With Ethernet interfaces, you can use ethtool utility in Linux. However, AL doesn't have this package by default. So you have to download it using pacman or yaourt

For example to set link speed to 100mbps on eno1 interface,

ethtool -s eno1 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off

Yup, exactly, as @Dutch also posted some time ago: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/54933-audiolinux-and-nuc-troubleshooting-and-tuning/?do=findComment&comment=941666

Although, see the next post from Piero that mentions how to make it persistent: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/54933-audiolinux-and-nuc-troubleshooting-and-tuning/?do=findComment&comment=941669

Maybe @hifi25nl can make this an easy menu-driven option.

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

Please try it and tell us what you find.

18 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Yup, exactly, as @Dutch also posted some time ago: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/54933-audiolinux-and-nuc-troubleshooting-and-tuning/?do=findComment&comment=941666

Although, see the next post from Piero that mentions how to make it persistent: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/54933-audiolinux-and-nuc-troubleshooting-and-tuning/?do=findComment&comment=941669

Maybe @hifi25nl can make this an easy menu-driven option.

Thank you for the idea, this is working nicely with a quick test using the "link speed" setting via JCAT Net card driver from 1G/Full Duplex to 100M/Full Duplex, and the result is quite noticeable.  Next is to try this in AL.

9 hours ago, Dev said:

With Ethernet interfaces, you can use ethtool utility in Linux. However, AL doesn't have this package by default. So you have to download it using pacman or yaourt

For example to set link speed to 100mbps on eno1 interface,

ethtool -s eno1 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off

What would be the command to return the current link speed and duplex values? I looked at Network in the Status menu but those values are not displayed. Perhaps they could be? 

Thanks!

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

22 minutes ago, mourip said:

What would be the command to return the current link speed and duplex values? I looked at Network in the Status menu but those values are not displayed. Perhaps they could be? 

Thanks!

ethtool -s eno1 speed 1000 duplex full autoneg on

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Has anyone tried reducing USB transfer speeds with similar effect?

For example if we reduce our USB transfer speeds for music storage on our server, perhaps there could be some gains there.

I assume this is possible somehow in Linux but I wouldn't know where to begin 🤣.

USB 3.0 controllers do seem to have better signal integrity and sound better but if we can reduce their speed back to USB 2.0 there might be some further SQ gains.

Just a thought

Can't seem to remove the ethernet cable from the  ports of either of my two NUC7i7DNHE's. Is there a particular knack to pulling it out?  The same Vandesail cable has no problem with other devices around the house: laptop, fibre converters etc..it's just the nucs.  Same thing happened with a Ugreen ethernet cable (interestingly has identical plugs to the Vandesail) on the same nucs a few weeks ago, but that came out eventually.  Don't want to overforce and break anything at this price level obviously 😆

https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-VANDESAIL-Gigabit-Network-Plated/dp/B013W0ARNY

One more thing while I'm here:  Do folks here have 'real time performance tuning' enabled in the bios?  (performance/processor/core settings)

1 minute ago, John769 said:

Well, it came free with the help of a flat head tip of a screwdriver- doh!

It's probably just because the Ethernet port on the motherboard doesn't line up perfectly with the cutout on the case.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

16 hours ago, Bricki said:

Has anyone tried reducing USB transfer speeds with similar effect?

For example if we reduce our USB transfer speeds for music storage on our server, perhaps there could be some gains there.

I assume this is possible somehow in Linux but I wouldn't know where to begin 🤣.

USB 3.0 controllers do seem to have better signal integrity and sound better but if we can reduce their speed back to USB 2.0 there might be some further SQ gains.

Just a thought

Do remember that the Intel NUC's clocks between USB, network and CPU subsystems are not "clock locked" (in harmony) thereby simply setting the network to 100mbit/s could change the EMI/RFI patterns from the networking subsystem, hence the differences spotted.

So yes, worth a try if possible though in many cases (DACs at least) they'll be negiotating USB 2.0 speeds anyway!

Does anyone have any advice on adding music to a Roon music library that's attached to an Intel NUC? I use a Mac and I tried the Connect to Server utility using smb://IP.ADDRESS.OF.NUC - but that did not work. I can ping my NUC IP address from terminal on my Mac, but I can't seem to reach it trying to connect to the server.

Can someone help me with this?

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

18 minutes ago, gsquared said:

Does anyone have any advice on adding music to a Roon music library that's attached to an Intel NUC? I use a Mac and I tried the Connect to Server utility using smb://IP.ADDRESS.OF.NUC - but that did not work. I can ping my NUC IP address from terminal on my Mac, but I can't seem to reach it trying to connect to the server.

Not sure if it works on a Mac but I use WINSCP for this. See here:

If that doesn't work on Mac you should look for the Apple equivalent.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

Hi all and happy weekend,

Has anyone sourced some Furutech Nano Liquid, as per @romaz 's findings recently?

Looking online, several of the well known audiophile places (Parts Connexion, VHLabs etc) list it at $180. Several sources direct from Japan on Ebay and Amazon list at $99, significant difference.

Does anyone have experience with the Direct from Japan sellers?

Thanks!

Yeang

8 hours ago, gsquared said:

Yes, I can help you. I just did this the other day. In my case, I'm running Euphony on my new NUC, while all my local music files are stored and networked from my Mac Mini. My NUC has no local storage, other than the USB drive that it boots from and runs Euphony. So, here's how to do it:

First, you need to go to the Mac's System Preferences and select Sharing. Note your computer's name at the top of the Sharing window, as you will need it later. Make sure File Sharing is check-marked to on. The folder(s) with your music files must appear in the Shared Folders list. If not, click the + button and browse to the folder and add it to the list. Verify that in the User's window, your user account appears, when you select the Shared folder. They should have at least Read/Write status. The "File Sharing On" dot should be green. Next, click on the Options button. With your User Account selected, verify that SMB sharing is on with a check mark. Close the window. Back on the main Sharing window, you can optionally add more folders, if your music files are distributed among more than one folder. You can also add iTunes Music folder!

In my case, I use Euphony on my Mac. It is HIGHLY recommended, as you've probably read on this forum. So in my case, I had to tell Euphony where to find the Shared folders with my local music. If you're using some other player, you'll need to do the functional equivalent in that SW.

If using Euphony, launch the Euphony control panel in a web browser. In the upper-right blue gear icon, select Audio Settings. enable your desired mode of operation, in my case, I selected Roon Core. 

Then go to Settings in the main menu. Click on the Library tab at the top. Your shared folders need to be added to the Network Drives list. Do that, by clicking on the add network. Enter the name of your Mac Mini in the server space. Add the name of your Shared folder back on your Mac Mini (with your music on it) to the Path. Click on Add Network Drive. It will then ask you for your login credentials to the user account on your Mac Mini. Enter your User Name and Password. In the Workgroup tab, enter WORKGROUP. Click the Add network drive button. It should tell you success and add the shared folder to the list. 

If using Roon, you also need to tell Roon about your new Shared Folders too. Launch Roon, go to Settings. Click on Storage. Tell it to Add Folder. Then tell it you want to add a Network Share. In Network Share Location, tell it the name of your Mac Mini on your network and the name of the Shared Folder that you want to add. There is a syntax here... the computer name must be preceded with two backslashes, like this  \\  while the shared folder must be preceded by a single backslash, like this  \  . So it would be, \\yourcomputername\yoursharedfolder. Enter your account's user name on your Mac Mini. Enter your account's Password on the Mac MIni. In workgroup, enter WORKGROUP. Click on Add Network Share and it should add it! 

Lastly, tell Roon to import your music files and optionally, playlists. If you have added a folder that contains an iTunes library, tell Roon of this by enabling that import option checkbox. Tell Roon to do it and it will count-up the imported files as they are imported into the Roon Database. Sweet. Repeat these steps in Roon for as many shared folders as you want to add. I should add a tip-of-the-hat to austinpop, who inspired and helped me!

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

They're listing that here for $70 plus a few bucks for domestic shipping within Japan

https://item.rakuten.co.jp/audio-s/nanoliquid/

Though we've gotta order through a shopping proxy service of some sort, I've been using this one myself and they're offering 10% off on Wednesdays / Thursdays / Fridays for Rakuten items

https://www.fromjapan.co.jp/en/special/order/confirm/https%3A%2F%2Fitem.rakuten.co.jp%2Faudio-s%2Fnanoliquid%2F/N_1/

The fees are either 300 yen or 700 yen

https://www.fromjapan.co.jp/en/help/servicePlan

I'm assuming that Squalene Oil wouldn't be considered flammable / combustible or else they couldn't have shipped stuff like skincare products outside Japan.

9 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Not sure if it works on a Mac but I use WINSCP for this. See here:

If that doesn't work on Mac you should look for the Apple equivalent.

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the tip. I tried connecting on a Mac FTP client that does a lot of what WINSCP does with no luck.

Cheers!
Gary

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

8 minutes ago, gsquared said:

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the tip. I tried connecting on a Mac FTP client that does a lot of what WINSCP does with no luck.

Cheers!
Gary

Use the terminal on the Mac and SSH command....  you have to use SFTP and SSH for the communications not FTP. There are several that will work.  

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/25661/whats-a-good-graphical-sftp-utility-for-os-x

33 minutes ago, mriguy said:

Yes, I can help you. I just did this the other day. In my case, I'm running Euphony on my new NUC, while all my local music files are stored and networked from my Mac Mini. My NUC has no local storage, other than the USB drive that it boots from and runs Euphony. So, here's how to do it:

First, you need to go to the Mac's System Preferences and select Sharing. Note your computer's name at the top of the Sharing window, as you will need it later. Make sure File Sharing is check-marked to on. The folder(s) with your music files must appear in the Shared Folders list. If not, click the + button and browse to the folder and add it to the list. Verify that in the User's window, your user account appears, when you select the Shared folder. They should have at least Read/Write status. The "File Sharing On" dot should be green. Next, click on the Options button. With your User Account selected, verify that SMB sharing is on with a check mark. Close the window. Back on the main Sharing window, you can optionally add more folders, if your music files are distributed among more than one folder. You can also add iTunes Music folder!

In my case, I use Euphony on my Mac. It is HIGHLY recommended, as you've probably read on this forum. So in my case, I had to tell Euphony where to find the Shared folders with my local music. If you're using some other player, you'll need to do the functional equivalent in that SW.

If using Euphony, launch the Euphony control panel in a web browser. In the upper-right blue gear icon, select Audio Settings. enable your desired mode of operation, in my case, I selected Roon Core. 

Then go to Settings in the main menu. Click on the Library tab at the top. Your shared folders need to be added to the Network Drives list. Do that, by clicking on the add network. Enter the name of your Mac Mini in the server space. Add the name of your Shared folder back on your Mac Mini (with your music on it) to the Path. Click on Add Network Drive. It will then ask you for your login credentials to the user account on your Mac Mini. Enter your User Name and Password. In the Workgroup tab, enter WORKGROUP. Click the Add network drive button. It should tell you success and add the shared folder to the list. 

If using Roon, you also need to tell Roon about your new Shared Folders too. Launch Roon, go to Settings. Click on Storage. Tell it to Add Folder. Then tell it you want to add a Network Share. In Network Share Location, tell it the name of your Mac Mini on your network and the name of the Shared Folder that you want to add. There is a syntax here... the computer name must be preceded with two backslashes, like this  \\  while the shared folder must be preceded by a single backslash, like this  \  . So it would be, \\yourcomputername\yoursharedfolder. Enter your account's user name on your Mac Mini. Enter your account's Password on the Mac MIni. In workgroup, enter WORKGROUP. Click on Add Network Share and it should add it! 

Lastly, tell Roon to import your music files and optionally, playlists. If you have added a folder that contains an iTunes library, tell Roon of this by enabling that import option checkbox. Tell Roon to do it and it will count-up the imported files as they are imported into the Roon Database. Sweet. Repeat these steps in Roon for as many shared folders as you want to add. I should add a tip-of-the-hat to austinpop, who inspired and helped me!

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Wow! Thank you for the detailed instructions. I am using AL on my Intel NUC and I had read about a similar method using SMB in Roon to connect to a shared folder on my Mac. 

I tried your instructions and I must still be doing something wrong because it's not working for me. My computer name ends in .local - do you include that when you add this to Roon? I tried it with and without and I can't get it to work. Also, regarding the path to my shared folder, do I include the full path to the shared file - ex. \Users\garygil\Downloads\music_downloads ?

In the past I used a SonicTransporter and I was able to see the attached music library from my Mac, so I could add music to the HDD by simply dragging and dropping music to the drive. There must be a similar way to do this connecting to the Intel NUC.

Thanks again for your help!

4 minutes ago, bobfa said:

Use the terminal on the Mac and SSH command....

Yes I can connect via SSH. Do you mean using the scp command to copy a local file to the Intel NUC? I suppose I can try that.

I used to be able to "see" my connected music library on my Mac (under Locations) when I was using a SonicTransporter, so there must be a way to accomplish a similar thing with AL using Connect to Server.

1 minute ago, gsquared said:

Wow! Thank you for the detailed instructions. I am using AL on my Intel NUC and I had read about a similar method using SMB in Roon to connect to a shared folder on my Mac. 

I tried your instructions and I must still be doing something wrong because it's not working for me. My computer name ends in .local - do you include that when you add this to Roon? I tried it with and without and I can't get it to work. Also, regarding the path to my shared folder, do I include the full path to the shared file - ex. \Users\garygil\Downloads\music_downloads ?

In the past I used a SonicTransporter and I was able to see the attached music library from my Mac, so I could add music to the HDD by simply dragging and dropping music to the drive. There must be a similar way to do this connecting to the Intel NUC.

Thanks again for your help!

You just enter the name of your computer (as shown at the top of the Sharing window in System Preferences) and just the name of the Shared folder, even if it's on a different drive. Is the name of your computer something like garys-mac-mini, or something like that? Be sure to get the slashes correct...  \\yourcomputername\sharedfoldername.  I took a screengrab of my Roon settings... hope this helps! Good Luck!

RoonSharedFolders.JPG

Just now, gsquared said:

Yes I can connect via SSH. Do you mean using the scp command to copy a local file to the Intel NUC? I suppose I can try that.

I used to be able to "see" my connected music library on my Mac (under Locations) when I was using a SonicTransporter, so there must be a way to accomplish a similar thing with AL using Connect to Server.

I may be confused.

SSH SCP , etc to move files to the Linux box.

Are you trying to do that or just share from the Mac?