IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

17 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I have high hopes for the EtherRegen. It would be great if it simplified network topology and improved SQ.

You're not the only one with high hopes my friend! :D  It darn well better do both 'cause between development and first production run close to 6 figures in $$ will have gone into the launch...:ph34r:

1 hour ago, elan120 said:

I bridged my setup in the following way.  Not sure how close this is to your bridged topology, but the impression is similar where the bridged configuration sounds better.

1364770111_MusicPCBuildBOMList(1).thumb.jpg.d8bee041ad29f9e2b0a866837374c128.jpg

I have a similar setup with JCAT and bridged topology ever since I started using the NUC couple of months back. Interesting that you are able to mod the JCAT with sCLK-Ex. Did Sotm did the mod ? Btw, which mobo are you using to host the JCAT PCIe ?

5 minutes ago, Dev said:

I have a similar setup with JCAT and bridged topology ever since I started using the NUC couple of months back. Interesting that you are able to mod the JCAT with sCLK-Ex. Did Sotm did the mod ? Btw, which mobo are you using to host the JCAT PCIe ?

what is your definition of bridging/non  bridging?

i am thinking of something like this CISCO Linksys WES610N

cheers! 

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

@austinpop, @elan120, both of you are using an optimized switch in the path music server - endpoint according to your diagrams. Did you try it without (not asking you to, just curious) or do you have the experience from a previous setup that the switch still helps things forward. I did see Romaz writing the same so it would not surprise me but I’d rather not make assumptions. :)

Thanks for sharing your experiences BTW, very helpful and interesting!

Hi @Dutch

I always encourage people - most of all, myself! - to revisit their optimizations from time to time, just to confirm that they are still beneficial in their current setup.

Your question came at a fortunate time where I could easily switch alternate between the direct connection from NUC to endpoint vs. with the optimized switch in the path. I just did the experiment.

Yes, the TLS OCXO switch still makes a noticeable improvement in the SQ.

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

@austinpop, @elan120, both of you are using an optimized switch in the path music server - endpoint according to your diagrams. Did you try it without (not asking you to, just curious) or do you have the experience from a previous setup that the switch still helps things forward. I did see Romaz writing the same so it would not surprise me but I’d rather not make assumptions. :)

Thanks for sharing your experiences BTW, very helpful and interesting!

I started with no OXCO clocked switch when I just starting to test AL loaded NUC endpoint, and was only concentrate on finding the best configuration with this new setup.  Once things are more settled, I added the switch in place as well as the 3-way bridging, and it was an obvious improvement, so after couple times of switching back and forth, switch is now stay in the chain.

1 hour ago, rickca said:

Beautiful setup.  My question is whether the EtherREGEN will reduce the need for such a sophisticated server.  I'm hoping.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

I have high hopes for the EtherRegen. It would be great if it simplified network topology and improved SQ.

If. 🤞

58 minutes ago, Superdad said:

You're not the only one with high hopes my friend! :D  It darn well better do both 'cause between development and first production run close to 6 figures in $$ will have gone into the launch...:ph34r:

I am also have very high hope this switch will make elaborated server a thing in the past, although it will make my current server setup less valuable, but will make any future setup simpler.  I am rooting for the success of EtherRegen when it is ready.

45 minutes ago, Dev said:

I am using X399 Taichi mobo, and took the easy way out on this mod by sending them including the JCAT to SOtM for the clock mod instead of doing the mod myself.  Since I have unused output ports available on the sCLK-OCX10, I also connected it to JCAT Net Card Femto as well.

Other potential thoughts on adding additional interfaces to the nuc7i7DNBE board:

there are 2 M.2 slots which are unused... one the standard storage key M and one for the WiFi card with key E. We could use this to the key E slot:

http://www.commell.com.tw/Product/Peripheral/M.2 (NGFF) card/M2-210.htm

Or

https://www.amazon.com/Ableconn-M2-NW-107-Gigabit-Ethernet-Module/dp/B07599LZ5S

and potentially replace the clocks on these. Might work better keeping the USB bus to audio purposes only?

On 1/17/2019 at 8:01 PM, davide256 said:

Has anyone found a device with a better  hardware implementation than NUC which can be used with AL as Roon endpoint?  I do find it freaky/worrisome that just removing the USB  drive after boot to RAM makes such a difference. And intriguing that an RPI can come so close to  Pentium NUC as endpoint. Still hoping that Sonore makes AL an option for xRendu...

If you have the skills it's very straightforward to build one

So for example I have an MSI mini-ITX board in a passively cooled HDPlex case. The board takes its power from a Teddy Pardo PSU directly to mobo, and I have a SoTM USB PCI-E card with its own Teddy Pardo (so it takes only data from the mobo via an internal header, not power)

If you want to add tricked out Ethernet cards or even SFP slots it's all possible (although my particular case has only one back slot, bigger silent options are available)

The trickiest bit was finding the correct adapter between the TP cable and the mobo DC in

AL extreme in RAM sound miles better than the previous generic Linux I used to run

I believe many of us were using DIY built computers using a range of components before trying the NUC’s. Many used LPS’s to power the whole computer or multiple to power separate parts. Some used high end clocks replacing the out of the box ones, low power CPU’s, SLC SSD’s, etc. etc.

There’s no silver bullets I’m afraid. For us, end consumers, it’s a ‘hit or miss’ thing. Companies like Innuos have stated they’ve tested many different components and selected the best sounding. This is of course a (too?) time consuming and expensive venture for us. Perhaps the thing that got closest to centrally designed solution comparing different parts was the CAPS initiative by Computer Audiophile.

6 hours ago, User471 said:

If you have the skills it's very straightforward to build one

So for example I have an MSI mini-ITX board in a passively cooled HDPlex case. The board takes its power from a Teddy Pardo PSU directly to mobo, and I have a SoTM USB PCI-E card with its own Teddy Pardo (so it takes only data from the mobo via an internal header, not power)

If you want to add tricked out Ethernet cards or even SFP slots it's all possible (although my particular case has only one back slot, bigger silent options are available)

The trickiest bit was finding the correct adapter between the TP cable and the mobo DC in

AL extreme in RAM sound miles better than the previous generic Linux I used to run

I guess what I'd like to see is a comparison of a PC using something like a JCAT USB  FEMTO as endpoint machine with AL vs AL/NUC endpoint using built in USB. I don't see anything special about the hardware quality in an endpoint NUC,  just good hardware integration. My suspicion is that an independently powered well made USB card in a decent endpoint machine will best NUC.  Hopefully we can get a CA member who already has one of these or an alternative to give it a shot and report in.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I believe, but not 100% sure, that with the nuc 7i7dnbe usb data lines go straight to the cpu. With my mini itx board they first go to a xmos chip and then to the connector.

With the the jcat usb card you go also, via pci lanes,  to a xmos chip but at least it clean powered and clocked.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

40 minutes ago, davide256 said:

I guess what I'd like to see is a comparison of a PC using something like a JCAT USB  FEMTO as endpoint machine with AL vs AL/NUC endpoint using built in USB. I don't see anything special about the hardware quality in an endpoint NUC,  just good hardware integration. My suspicion is that an independently powered well made USB card in a decent endpoint machine will best NUC.  Hopefully we can get a CA member who already has one of these or an alternative to give it a shot and report in.

Done and done with SOtM hardware. The NUC sounds better. Look up my previous posts in this thread. 

Speaking of wireless storage, Pioneer made something called Stellanova and basically it's kinda like Wi-Fi dock of some sort but you must install their own apps in order to access USB drives and DACs via its wireless network

https://darko.audio/2015/10/everyman-hifi-at-fujiya-avic-2015-pioneer-stellanova/

Even third party products like Chord Hugo could be connected

There's a much cheaper model with only 1 USB 2.0 port but we could actually power that with a pair of A123 LiFePO4 plus LT3045

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Pioneer-パイオニア-IEEE802-11a-対応ワイヤレスドック-APS-WF01J-2/dp/B01L0ZRI2G

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LT3045-four-parallel-regulated-power-supply-5V-2A-Upgrade-LT3042/273135946356

18 hours ago, davide256 said:

I haven't tested any kind of NUC recently, but I compared AudioLinux against Windows on my computer, which at the time had SOtM tx-USBexp (today I have the JCAT USB Card FEMTO). In my opinion, listening on the same computer, Windows has played considerably better. I cannot tell if a NUC would be even better, but considering at least the dedicated USB card, I don't think so. I also have linear power supply on this computer, use RAMdisk and did several other correct adjustments.

Another detail is that I didn't exhaust the possibilities of AudioLinux. I haven't tested everything that it can offer, like HQPlayer, for example. At the end, I cannot give any constructive opinion. I really don't like Linux. It isn't good for audio purposes...