IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

52 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

Ok, sorry bur I am still very confused about this AL running RAM. U mean the entire OS is somehow loaded into RAM, or the software player is loaded into RAM and then also playing the entire music file loaded in RAM? Or just the music file in RAM? How much RAM would one need for that? Sorry if this has been discussed but it is really hard to trace back with 1000s of responses on multiple topics.

Thanks @austinpop for your ongoing cataloguing as it’s hard to keep up these days! 

@chopin75 From Audiolinux website. It’s worth studying the home page as there is a wealth of info there. 

“From version 1.9.7 you can load the entire system to RAM as an option. For this you need at least 16GB RAM (8 GB for AudioLinux headless). There is the option to save the entire system in "ram mode" “

4gb is fine for a headless ramboot endpoint. 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

4 hours ago, afrancois said:

1° extra 8Gb RAM (there are some reports that say that some NUC's work with 16Gb)

Yes NUC7PJYH works with 16gb RAM

This review rates this NUC against 11 other models

https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/05/16/intel-nuc-kit-nuc7pjyh-review/

"Overall however the NUC7PJYH performance is the best of all mini PCs tested."

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

9 minutes ago, mourip said:

Thanks a lot for your continued ideas. It is much appreciated.

That’s what I like about this thread, lots of folks here happy to help. 

13 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Thanks Patrick, you saved me some time. It seems intuitive that a two box system sounds better with Tidal, but the confirmation is very helpful.

You are welcome Larry. I wish I could buy you a beer or two (if you drink that is ?) for highlighting and sharing the NUC formula. The ease and acoustic space created are astounding. 

I have a few interesting twists to my set up which I  will write about later when I get past the setup stage. 

19 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Two questions on the NUC front.

One which might benefit the crowd and one I might need to take offline to PM.

Context is I'm trying to install AL on an NUC7CJYH as Roon endpoint.

Question that's more universal is can someone please clarify what version of AL is best suited to endpoint duties? There's been loads of references to $29 but of the 8 or so versions on the AL site two are €29, one is BBB and one is Pi3. Is it one of these or a different one?

Second question and I suspect I need to take this offline as it's indicative of my own technical dipshitness ?. I followed @greenleogreat install guide as well as checking the Intel forums but no matter what I try I keep getting no install device detected.

As per Intel I should:

1. Go to Advanced Boot > Boot Priority.
  2. Disable UEFI Boot and enable Legacy Boot.

But on my NUC7CJYH the UEFI option is not unselectable and the legacy boot does nothing. I flashed the latest BIOS update and the legacy boot window disappeared altogether.

So for the benefit of the thread is there something obvious I'm missing?

If its me being a dumbass then please ping me offline as I don't want to derail this great thread.

Cheers,

Alan

These are the BIOS settings I use and that work for me. I’m sure there are other tweaks to do that can improve things but these cover the basics. 

4CF6C115-BF65-4F49-B878-FACFEEB7C78E.jpeg

283436F7-22FA-4A43-A5F2-484160085EA8.jpeg

B2771536-DFCD-4073-AB72-2870350E8808.jpeg

69D17166-B09F-4F0A-A402-A88216AFCC0F.jpeg

1 hour ago, BigAlMc said:

Hi @rickca it was from the intel NUC guide on how to boot from USB but perhaps that's a misstep.

@tapatrick - my BIOS settings look exactly like yours.

So I'm wondering if its question 1 and I've grabbed the wrong image.

But on both SD Card and USB flashdrive I keep getting zero sign of there being a bootable device attached.

Cheers,

Alan

Looks like one of the BIOS images didn’t load. But @LTG2010 has nailed it. 

8 hours ago, Soma said:

Hi all, quick check nuc7pjyh model maximum memory on the intel website says 8GB. Does it mean 8gb for each slot or 8gb for entire system (sorry I am technically disabled). I have ordered 4gb*2 for NUC. If it can take 16gb, I will cancel and buy 8gb*2. Thanks

Yes NUC7PJYH works with 16gb Ram. I have 8gb in each slot. 

2 hours ago, rettib2001 said:

tapatrick, 

Can I ask what's running between the two nucs, switch, or directly bridged etc? 

I have an Aqvox switch between the 2 NUCs not bridged. It’s powered by a modded Teradak DC30W outputting  8v with 2 LT3045 voltage regs in series 7.5>5v. 

56 minutes ago, RickyV said:

When you are a AudioLinux and a Roon noob it all can be a bit confusing.

Rick ?

Certainly is! ...last year I cut my teeth on dietpi tweaking. After a while the hair grows back... and here there is a lot more help

as @mourip has answered when you set up your roon core you are taken through several screens where you enter roon & tidal logins etc

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

I’m fairly sure it’s the graphics memory BIOS settings that caused this as I’ve come across posts on the Intel forum describing the same issue so I’d advise anyone not to touch those.

Ouch!  sorry to hear. What exactly did you change?

37 minutes ago, MrUnderhill said:

Hi Patrick,

I find it very strange, I turn on my valve amps, open my tablet with Squeezer and hit play, then just sit and listen to great music. No issues with a complex USB chain and having to reboot different parts to get things going, no issues with the playback of some tracks that pull me out of the music. The threads I am mostly looking at are about ........music!

M

:) Exactly M, my experience also to just relax into the music without distraction. I have been able to just switch on the NUCs and after a few minutes everything shows up in Roon, then I  pull out the USB sticks and I press play. 

6 minutes ago, the_doc735 said:

Sure! Peace. But nice to know of any weaknesses too. I'm pleased to hear you have good news. Well done.

:) Yes all the info shared especially the problems is greatly appreciated.

14 hours ago, Forehaven said:

It just takes a bit of tweaking to get the side case off.  Not hard at all.

just slightly pull out the sides with the ports so that they can slip free, up and out.

9 hours ago, Middy said:

Turning off unwanted features in bios

which ones did you turn off @Middy

12 hours ago, Middy said:

@tapatrick

All but wifi and  No speed step.

I reduced my GFX memory but iam using Serial? Blue connector on an old monitor not HDMI. There are 6 usb listed but 4 ports?

Thanks! I'm going to shut off the unused USB and HDMI ports today, and tweak other BIOS settings....

I should get my memory for the i3 NUC tommorow.  If i get a chance i will swap out the 2 gig installed.

It came from ebay with Kodi i think media player. I hope when i buy AL i dont have to buy another Key for win or Win server. I am still lost on what to do...the  very very basics.

Never connected 2 PCs, hopefully just an Ethernet cable will do.

I have an Aqvox switch between roon server and Endpoint

I wont attach internet router just transfer my small.music collection from usb memory onto hd.

I am trialling ROON atm very nice and polished.

My current goal is:

AL on celeron end point

AL on i3 for roon core

2 memory sticks.

Hopefully i can set up( haha)..try normal AL version and use roon to act as headless remote. Not headless AL.

This to me seems complicated enough.

If i stay on roon (trial) and figure out basics i can go from there next year.

HQP, uptone switch, more power add ons ect.

good luck!

7 hours ago, MrUnderhill said:

Hi Bricki,

Like you I removed power from my server ssd, in my case, and booted using AL extreme ramboot. I host my files on four 512gb usb sticks hosted on a lpsu powered usb3.0 hub.

M

Hi M

Have you tried battery powering the USB hub? I'm thinking to give the USB hub a go for the albums I have which are not on Tidal, also to check the SQ. But don't have a 4th LPSU.

On 12/13/2018 at 6:19 PM, austinpop said:

Hey all,

I've reorganized the 1st post and cleaned it up. Please take a look and encourage others to as well. Suggestions welcome.

Thanks Rajiv, amazing!

Can anyone report if there is an improvement in SQ by moving to headless 0.7 version from 0.3? or is the difference just in the new menu functionality? 

thanks in advance

57 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Honestly, the musicality of my system in it's current state provides little motivation for testing new configurations.

:)

+1