IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

9 hours ago, austinpop said:

Hi Adveira,

I sympathize with the difficulty in keeping up with this thread. It has gotten pretty wild in the last few months! 

BTW - I am not picking on you - I quoted your post to represent a sentiment I get a lot via PM which goes along the lines of - "So what are the conclusions?" Again, I completely understand the sentiment, but it's a question we can't answer. 

This thread is a journey with no foreseeable "conclusion!" Yes, I know Roy, Larry, and I talk in moments of excitement of how this is endgame stuff, but this thread is, and will always be, an exploration for more SQ, and most of time with mechanisms that don't have clear objective explanations. That's OK.

Take my setup, for example. When Roy started this thread on Jan 1, 2017 - yes, almost 2 years ago - I was using an Aries Mini with Auralic LPS as my endpoint, with MinimServer on my NAS. I thought this was about as endgame as it got. Then I tried:

• FMCs
  • bridging
  • a plethora of PSUs
  • sMS-200
  • sCLK-EX with the famous trifecta of switch-sMS-tX
  • Reference clock - first Cybershaft, then Mutec Ref-10
  • then I moved from distributed to standalone (Zenith SE)
  • more stuff
  • then I tried AL/RAM on my SE
  • Now I am back to distributed with NUC/AL as endpoint.

Is this the conclusion? For me and many of us here - you know it isn't! I have zero doubt we will learn more, and we will continue to improve the SQ of our systems. Ultimately this thread stays popular because a critical mass of people try these findings for themselves and report their findings. As Larry pointed out, not everyone hears the same effect, or even a positive change. That's OK too. We all start from a different baseline, and we all hear things differently. 

The only "conclusion" is to ask what people are using currently, and I'll post a diagram soon, but my system is till in flux. 

To parallel this: some times there are many small incremental changes that occur fast! Other times there is one giant leap that is often discovered by accident that no one thought of or considered and was usually dismissed without a second thought! IMO the NUC/AL 'discovery' IS one of those 'Lotus 72' moments, i.e. it was so good they didn't bring out a totally new design for FOUR years; the Lotus 77. But after this things still carried on progressing to the present day, like you say: no conclusion just progression. I suspect 'idiots' will mark this off topic even though all I am doing is replying to @austinpop 's post. I am completely at home with this, if that is your intention? Thanks to austinpop for bringing a little clarity to this thread and just maybe my little comment will serve to drive the point home for those that haven't been able to grasp the fundamental meaning of austinpop's post.

9 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

Go fanless in any type of server / endpoint. The fan introduces electrical noise, emi, vibration and it just blows hot air around onto other components. Plus the processor is monitoring temperature and adjusting its speed etc.

At the moment I have a noctura fan on my 218+ and it doesn't blow hot air on other components because it sucks the hot air out of the casing. This is fitted with the SOtM fan filter. Currently have 3 on going projects. This is just one of them.

3 hours ago, kyrill said:

because of Audiolinux I was worried about the pops remark

I've mentioned I think 5 times already but will do one last time because I can see it getting blown way out of proportion.

My pops comment is not relating to pops during music playback at all and nothing to do with the classic loud pops of PCM/DSD transitions. I fortunately haven't had these pops for over 2 years now (touch wood it stays that way...).

My pops are specific to NAA and starting a new track and it's two small pops - very quiet. I imagine most people wouldn't hear them, especially on speakers, they are that quiet. Even with headphones, if my HQP volume is at -3dB and I'm using a separate headphone amp it is hard to hear. It becomes more obvious when using HQP's digital volume control for me. It's not just specific to Audiolinux for me - as I already mentioned above a few times. It happens with my Rendu and DietPi running on NAA on NUC and UpBoard Gateway and other hardware. And other distro's on different hardware too. DietPi NAA on an Allo USBridge is another example.

The pops are there with my Rendu but it's not enough to annoy me much at all - just to give an idea of how annoying this thing is to me, in the big picture.

There is an Audiolinux love fest here so I want to make clear my own very minor issues observed are not at all specific to Audiolinux and not specific to the NUC even.

For me, Jussi's bootable NAA image is free from all pops completely and SQ is no different to Audiolinux in RAM and is free and is without these annoying vert minor pops.

I hope that squashes pop gate.

8 hours ago, austinpop said:

Search is your friend. Please search back on this thread, we have posted this multiple times.

Yes, the consensus is the NUC (or endpoint) running AL in RAM provides the bulk of the improvement. Whether it is 60% or 80% or some other number is based on subjective opinions.

The server still seems to matter. Running AL in RAM on the server matters. System speed seems to matter. But bigger systems with their noise add harshness too. Yes, even through the switches. Where is the sweet spot? What are the best CPU options? Is TDP a guiding metric? Where should music be stored? Pros/cons?

These all need research. So get to work!

Also somewhere in this thread someone said that there is no consensus, I find that contradictory. 

6 hours ago, mourip said:

I run AL in ramroot on my endpoints but Windows 10 Pro on my Roon server for now. I found that when I installed Audiophile Optimizer it made a big difference in overall sound quality which lends support to the general consnsus that the server OS and tweaks still do matter.

why not just buy something that doesn't have unnecessary processes, that you will  'kill' anyway with audiophile optimizer?

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

I'm not asking you to leave. Just saying that you have a commercial affiliation and are a product developer. When you talk critically of competing products, then you necessarily have a credibility gap to cross, and a higher threshold to meet to not appear biased.

Instead of general comments or friends' experiences, more useful would be your own personal experience with a concrete example. I.e. on this HW platform, I first ran X then Y, and to my ears I liked X. Here's why.

I'm sorry, but I was told on here that there are no concrete answers, just developments, discoveries and experiments. i.e. no conclusions, no consensus. With respect, it looks like posts are contradicting each other! Just trying to clarify this issue please?

5 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Assuming everything stays in DSD, it's likely the quieter couple of pops between tracks has always been there with Audiolinux but maybe you never noticed it... as mentioned a few times, it's nowhere near as loud as the classic PCM to DSD transition pops. Easier for me to hear with headphones but they are there with speakers too with Audiolinux.

When you do your testing you may find these quieter pops with Audiolinux (and everything else) disappear with Jussi's bootable image - that's what I found.

I'm also at DSD512 for everything - it's possible it's less of an issue at lower sample rates with Audiolinux (and others) but I haven't bothered testing because with Jussi's bootable image it's 100% pop free at DSD512 between tracks (for me).

In terms of sound quality with my subjective impressions (on topic), I find that all DSD512 makes my tinnitus worse. So for now I have to stick with PCM. Needed - tinnitus friendly DSD (LOL).

30 minutes ago, the_doc735 said:

why not just buy something that doesn't have unnecessary processes, that you will  'kill' anyway with audiophile optimizer?

I am already running AL in ramboot on both of my endpoints. I set up Roon Core on Windows 10 because I already had the license, hardware and OA and I needed something I was familiar with while I tried to work out an issue I had with both of my AL endpoints not showing up at the same time. Now that is sorted out I will probably try AL on my Roon Core server also but currently the system sounds really great. Besides in this way I have a basis for comparison in my own system and with my own ears. 

Your logic is sound but sometimes experimenting is worth a bit to prove these things to ones own self. Besides there are a lot of pieces to this puzzle and sometime synergy is as important as theory.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

4 minutes ago, the_doc735 said:

In terms of sound quality with my subjective impressions (on topic), I find that all DSD512 makes my tinnitus worse. So for now I have to stick with PCM. Needed - tinnitus friendly DSD (LOL).

LOL sorry to read that doc. Surprised that this variable (DSD512 vs PCM768) with the same HQP filter (?) is enough to affect your tinnitus. We can ask Jussi in a HQP thread, to ask why that may be.

41 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

LOL sorry to read that doc. Surprised that this variable (DSD512 vs PCM768) with the same HQP filter (?) is enough to affect your tinnitus. We can ask Jussi in a HQP thread, to ask why that may be.

Even doctors don't know and there is no cure at the moment. Makes playing the latest ozric tentacles album impossible! Even after one track it's like I'd been in the front row of a heavy metal gig and leaves heightened ringing in my ears for hours! (LOL). I digress - sorry!   ...back to topic....

Hi Guys,

Is this the same Pentium board or if not, can it be used instead of the one that comes with the NUC7PJYH:

ASRock J5005-ITX Intel Quad-Core Pentium Silver Processor (Up to 2.8 GHz) Motherboards

https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-J5005-ITX-Quad-Core-Processor-Motherboards/dp/B079G91MQ1

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

7 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Assuming everything stays in DSD, it's likely the quieter couple of pops between tracks has always been there with Audiolinux but maybe you never noticed it... as mentioned a few times, it's nowhere near as loud as the classic PCM to DSD transition pops. Easier for me to hear with headphones but they are there with speakers too with Audiolinux.

When you do your testing you may find these quieter pops with Audiolinux (and everything else) disappear with Jussi's bootable image - that's what I found.

I'm also at DSD512 for everything - it's possible it's less of an issue at lower sample rates with Audiolinux (and others) but I haven't bothered testing because with Jussi's bootable image it's 100% pop free at DSD512 between tracks (for me).

I still have a pop when going from DSD to PCM in AL.  I play everything native.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

3 hours ago, limniscate said:

@austinpop and I tested his NUC versus my ZENith SE.  In blind testing, he picked the ZENith.  However, the NUC was not on the Synergistic Research Tranquility UEF base.

Does it was in dual pc set-up ?

If yes , does it was with AL in ram ? How was powered the NUC ?

what was the server ?

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

40 minutes ago, limniscate said:

Server was the ZENith SE.  NUC was powered by the SR7MR2DRXL.

I'm very inclined to build NUC based solution because the cost of admission is relatively cheap, but at the same time, I'm also think that I'm susceptible to the tricks that my mind plays on me. Yesterday I read the following post and it made me think about biases quite a bit .

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/uptone-lps-1-linear-power-supply-review-and-measurements.1849/page-9#post-60699

I can identify with the above post because I also bought a TA cable which costs a fortune and I think I should be able to discern it without any problem. (I have not subjected myself with DBX).

Please understand that I've utmost respect for contributors on this thread. In fact I like the DIY solution which is tenfolds cheaper than the megabucks steamers. I just don't get it when we can't pick our favorites in a blind test ? DO you think DBX test put too much pressure on us. Do you know what characteristics Rajiv liked when he picked ZENith over NUC in a blind test? did you do this multiple times or was this a single test.

1 hour ago, limniscate said:

Server was the ZENith SE.  NUC was powered by the SR7MR2DRXL.

Thank for your answer . Yet I do not fully understand what was the preferred configuration in this blind test :

Zenith SE alone ( server and endpoint )

compared to ZenithSE ( server ) - NUC endpoint   ?

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

5 hours ago, limniscate said:

@austinpop and I tested his NUC versus my ZENith SE.  In blind testing, he picked the ZENith.  However, the NUC was not on the Synergistic Research Tranquility UEF base.

Can you please give more details! jean-michel6 already asked some important questions. When did you make the test? Was it with the new 1.41 firmware of the Zenith?