IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

R-Core LPSU:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hi-end-DC19V-5A-Low-Noise-R-core-Transformer-DC-Linear-Power-Supply-L9-10/142935964862?hash=item2147a5bcbe:m:mDLZxKfl2CGD-Zu_ZaELBRw:rk:1:pf:1

This was a clear step up from the SMPS with cleaner high frequencies and more profound bass.

I will be channeling the DC supply through PoE Dual Cat squared in due course.

I am trying to identify a suitable LT3045 to use, either singly or in parallel.

The unit itself is barely getting warm, which would seem to confirm the low current draw.

M

8 hours ago, greenleo said:

I tried GUI RAMBoot standard and headless RAMBoot extreme.  Both using HQP and the headless was an NAA.  The latter sounds better.

For the realtime priority extreme, the CPU basically never rest (the physical aspect), and the latency decreased and the SQ (hopefully) is better.  YMMV.

Thanks for the feedback. It is already sounding pretty remarkable. I might try the boot extreme but am not too hot(pun intended) about having the CPU running full bore ?

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

1 minute ago, mourip said:

Thanks for the feedback. It is already sounding pretty remarkable. I might try the boot extreme but am not too hot(pun intended) about having the CPU running full bore ?

Go for the headless.  The current version may change to real time priority on the fly by using a menu, no more difficult command except alconf.  I use the extreme when boot up playing music and switch back to standard mode when not.  The system may be left on for a long time.  Once the NUC is there, you may leave it on "forever" because AL is pretty stable and the power is just 10W.

Just now, greenleo said:

Go for the headless.  The current version may change to real time priority on the fly by using a menu, no more difficult command except alconf.  I use the extreme when boot up playing music and switch back to standard mode when not.  The system may be left on for a long time.  Once the NUC is there, you may leave it on "forever" because AL is pretty stable and the power is just 10W.

Thanks! I am running headless and ramboot with the USB stick removed. I even disconnected my Windows 2016 and music SSD's so my Roon Bridge PC is running in a very minimal config. I always leave my system on except for my tube pre and amp. Last night I got Putty working so that I could make changes remotely.

In case anyone is interested my Roon bridge PC is connected to a Mutec 3+ USB that is externally clocked by a Mutec REF10. AES out of the M3USB to my Yggrasil DAC. The bridge PC and the Mutec USB are run by LPS's. That required modding the Mutec and putting a 6v 3045 regulator inside it. My Roon Core is run on a separate fanless PC running Roon ROCK.

Next up is to get a new NUC 7i5bnh up and running with AL for my headphone rig. It will have no internal SSD either. So far I have pulled three SSDs and an ethernet to AES converter out of my system.

I really love Roon, both for SQ and for simplifying my system. Now if Qobuz with Roon integration would finally roll out in the US it will be a slam dunk!

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

After a long delay I finally got my Ballistix ram and I have all the hardware ready for building a NUC7CJYH2.

The Akasa case Will be delayed.

Can one of you guys recommend an good external harddisk or SSD for music files. I want to power the disk from a LPS?

Should I buy a SSD or?

Thanks In advance.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Monge said:

Can one of you guys recommend an good external harddisk or SSD for music files. I want to power the disk from a LPS?

If that drive were connected via USB, then it's gonna defeat the whole purpose of a completely diskless setup.

NAS could be an option, and then there's also stuff like this (you mentioned SSD and therefore I could only assume that 4TB should be OK) if you're looking for something that's powered by its own battery

https://www.amazon.com/Passport-Wireless-Portable-external-Drive/dp/B06X6H1LY6

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1322058-REG/wd_wdbsmt0040bbk_nesn_4tb_my_passport_wireless.html

2.5" 4TB drives should be almost guaranteed to be SMR ones, do a search on PMR versus SMR

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/6m19zf/largest_shuckable_nonsmr_25_external/

However, SMR might not be such a big deal if we're simply using that for music storage. Most likely we wouldn't keep erasing files and therefore the performance shouldn't be a concern.

I tried installing LMS but looks like it failed to get many packages. Does anybody know how to fix it ? @austinpop ?

:: Retrieving packages...
error: failed retrieving file 'perl-xml-namespacesupport-1.12-2-any.pkg.tar.xz' from mirrors.evowise.com : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'perl-xml-namespacesupport-1.12-2-any.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.rackspace.com : The requested URL returned error: 404
warning: failed to retrieve some files

53 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

NAS could be an option, and then there's also stuff like this (you mentioned SSD and therefore I could only assume that 4TB should be OK) if you're looking for something that's powered by its own battery

https://www.amazon.com/Passport-Wireless-Portable-external-Drive/dp/B06X6H1LY6

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1322058-REG/wd_wdbsmt0040bbk_nesn_4tb_my_passport_wireless.html

Just for notes. The WD wireless passport on this link is to the HDD version. Here is a link to the SSD version https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1387140-REG/wd_wdbamj2500agy_nesn_my_passport_wireless_250gb.html

This is an awesome solution for photographers (contains SD card reader and can stream the content to a mobile phone or tablet). Not intirely sure it is that good as an audiophile solution though.

🎛️  Audio System  

29 minutes ago, Dev said:

I tried installing LMS but looks like it failed to get many packages. Does anybody know how to fix it ? @austinpop ?

:: Retrieving packages...
error: failed retrieving file 'perl-xml-namespacesupport-1.12-2-any.pkg.tar.xz' from mirrors.evowise.com : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'perl-xml-namespacesupport-1.12-2-any.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.rackspace.com : The requested URL returned error: 404
warning: failed to retrieve some files

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux. I brute forced it by uncommenting more mirrors in the file /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

1 minute ago, seeteeyou said:

Or you could do it the elegant way! 9_9 

8 minutes ago, Monge said:

Are SSD better than trad spinning HD soundvise?

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?page=359&tab=comments#comment-860030

On 8/8/2018 at 7:29 PM, romaz said:

Just like in the past, after 5-6 hours of listening, there was fatigue.  In my view, it had to be the SSD that was the culprit.  According to Ed Hsu of Sound Galleries, SSDs emit a noise in the 6GHz range that is very difficult to filter and the faster the SSD, generally the noisier it is.  Based on what I was hearing, I had no reason to doubt what he was saying.

On 11/17/2018 at 12:06 PM, beerandmusic said:

I don't want to mess with smartphone, and personally am used to using jriver....I know i could still use jriver or hqplayer/naa, but just curious if there is a web player out there ?

If squeezelite-R2 were OK for you, the same author also wrote falcon for controlling that via web browsers

https://github.com/marcoc1712/falcon

https://github.com/marcoc1712/installFalcon

Just scratching my head, it ain't 1984 or anything like that. Ain't open-source software meant to work on any kinda hardware as long as we're talking about the right architecture? Both squeezelite-R2 and falcon are available for free while they're also compatible Linux / Mac / Windows.

Nobody is forcing us to purchase additional hardware to run whatever OS that's been discussed on this thread lately. If we're already having at least 4GB of RAM, then we're actually getting rid of SSDs / HDDs / expensive "audiophile" SATA cables etc.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux.

I was curious what this yaourt command did.  While googling, I came across this article

https://itsfoss.com/best-aur-helpers/

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Bridged Ethernet Ports

While trying different NUC setups, I decided to give the following a test drive, and the result is the best SQ so far in my system.

I am in early stage of incorporating NUC to my system, and still have more configurations to try, but since this setup is quite simple, you guys might want to give it a try.

1433389642_Bridgednetworkdiagram.thumb.jpg.c34b93e593bf4031525d44449acfe28b.jpg

I am unable to play using LMS/Squeezelite.

Here are the configs

[root@audiolinux audiolinux]# squeezelite -l
Output devices:
  null                           - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
  default:CARD=P20               - PS Audio USB Audio 2.0, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
  sysdefault:CARD=P20            - PS Audio USB Audio 2.0, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
  front:CARD=P20,DEV=0           - PS Audio USB Audio 2.0, USB Audio - Front speakers
  surround21:CARD=P20,DEV=0      - PS Audio USB Audio 2.0, USB Audio - 2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
  surround40:CARD=P20,DEV=0      - PS Audio USB Audio 2.0, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
  surround41:CARD=P20,DEV=0      - PS Audio USB Audio 2.0, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
  surround50:CARD=P20,DEV=0      - PS Audio USB Audio 2.0, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
  surround51:CARD=P20,DEV=0      - PS Audio USB Audio 2.0, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
  surround71:CARD=P20,DEV=0      - PS Audio USB Audio 2.0, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
  iec958:CARD=P20,DEV=0          - PS Audio USB Audio 2.0, USB Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

[root@audiolinux audiolinux]# cat /etc/conf.d/squeezelite
params="-n player-name -o hw:CARD=P20 -b 524288:524288 -a 16:4:: -D"

When I play from LMS web interface, it seems to play but there is no output.

On the squeezelite end, I see the following the error

Nov 23 09:52:12 audiolinux squeezelite[1434]: [09:52:12.160940] alsa_open:548 unable to set hw params: Invalid argument

What am I doing wrong ?

26 minutes ago, Dev said:

root@audiolinux audiolinux]# cat /etc/conf.d/squeezelite
params="-n player-name -o hw:CARD=P20 -b 524288:524288 -a 16:4:: -D"

When I play from LMS web interface, it seems to play but there is no output.

On the squeezelite end, I see the following the error

Nov 23 09:52:12 audiolinux squeezelite[1434]: [09:52:12.160940] alsa_open:548 unable to set hw params: Invalid argument

Looks like "-D" is an invalid option. When I removed it, I am able to play 44.1 but not anything higher. Still figuring it out...

42 minutes ago, Dev said:

Looks like "-D" is an invalid option. When I removed it, I am able to play 44.1 but not anything higher. Still figuring it out...

Can't offer any expert help, as I also kinda futzed with it to get it to work. Does your DAC accept DSD natively, or via DoP? You need -D for DoP.

A couple other things to play with:

1. Remove the -a options to let them default
  2. Try -o default:CARD-P20