IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

1 hour ago, seeteeyou said:

Hi @[email protected],

Will your upcoming product be prone to such purported issues?

https://dxpw.r.com

CTU,

I own both Michael's and Alexeys LT3045 based regulators. I like them all. What I own are regulators not power supplies. Are new AC to DC power supplies available from these manufacturers?

I haven't tried powering a NUC with an lps based on one of these regulators,  but I suspect that will work well if the current demands of the NUC are well matched.

As the UpTone lps1.2 has no active connection to it's energizing supply, its like a battery and cannot act as one leg of a ground loop. That was my only point.

If a device like a NUC is powered with a supply using a regulator from Michael or Alexey, it could serve as one leg of a ground loop depending on if that source is galvanically isolated or not.

What I wrote was that "You lose galvanic isolation and potentially gain a ground loop with the the Mpaudio solution". That isn't clear. You could lose galvanic isolation and potentially gain a ground  loop based on the isolation properties of the power source feeding these regulators.

My apologies for any confusion.

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

6 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I have the NUC7PJYH with 4 GB memory and Akasa Newton JC fanless case.

OK thanks. I wish I had bought the pentium instead now (higher core count)... I held back because I wasn't sure if the lps1.2 would work with the pentium...good to know it works... And extreme mode is obviously fine in the akasa case with pentium and lps1.2?? 

1 minute ago, Bricki said:

OK thanks. I wish I had bought the pentium instead now (higher core count)... I held back because I wasn't sure if the lps1.2 would work with the pentium...good to know it works... And extreme mode is obviously fine in the akasa case with pentium and lps1.2?? 

If you have a mouse and keyboard attached (for changing settings, etc.), then the LPS-1.2 doesn't work.  Otherwise, it normally takes me 3-4 attempts to get the NUC to boot and stabilize with the LPS-1.2, but once it gets going, the NUC is very stable.  So far, it has only stopped running if I power it down.

37 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

If you have a mouse and keyboard attached (for changing settings, etc.), then the LPS-1.2 doesn't work.  Otherwise, it normally takes me 3-4 attempts to get the NUC to boot and stabilize with the LPS-1.2, but once it gets going, the NUC is very stable.  So far, it has only stopped running if I power it down.

OK. Good info, thanks ??

Just got an interesting result. 

Still have some usb filters in series out the NUC for fun. Iso regen/ lps1. Ipurifier i silencer intona. 

In this chain it improves some detail dampens others. Filter over load..

For fun i took off my i defender off my pc (ground loop killer) put it first in the chain and fed a battery pack into the side port. 

Kills NUC 5V out

Feeds filtering line/ repackaging intona

This feeds 7v lps1 into iso regen =Qutest 

Everything perked back up. Sound stage wider / sharper

Not suggesting run out and start shopping, i got some of these as part off cornans experiment thread to test stuff.

Its lying around.

Premise of this is feed filters/ reclocking with non NUC PC 5V ie battery input-

Filter +  reclock- filter  for final Iso regen lps1.

Everthing has opened up with clean 5v feeder chain to the iso regen. 

If you still have old bits give it a go to see if it helps your chain. 

In my case a lot of redundant kit to give the iso the best chance possible. 

If you have old lipo packs intona ifi or what ever you spend your hard cash on.

Something to play with until Austinpop gets his NUC. 

All covered before but new to me in this configuration. I know little...just trying things..

Dave

Ie

https://ifi-audio.com/ 

Phone battery pack

https://www.audiostream.com/content/intona-technology-usb-20-high-speed-isolator

+  the ubiquitous  

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/iso-regen

14 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

I asked Jussi @Miska to add ramroot to his bootable HQPlayer NAA and he quickly put it in his build.

https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/

naa-3552-x64.7z 

I like what I'm hearing.  I've only listened to a couple songs at first listen it's similar if not the same as what I hear with Audiolinux headless running HQPlayer NAA.

This is great new data, that helps figure out what the key mechanisms are. Clearly ramroot helps, no matter the distro.

Piero was going to add some more info here on what other special sauce is in AL. Best I can tell, it's the rtirq and rtapp services to tune IRQ and application priorities. These work in conjunction with modes like BFQ and Extreme. Other than that, there's also prepackaging of drivers for a bunch of DACs, audio services, etc.

But yeah, there's no magic here. Priority tuning etc. is after all what Audiophile Optimizer, Process Lasso, and Fidelizer do on WIndoze.

2 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Why does it take 3-4 attempts?  Is the 1.1A from the LPS-1.2 just barely enough juice?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

4 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Well I have the LarryNUC (9_9)--with 8GB of RAM I think--and for mine it does not take multiple attempts to boot with UltraCap LPS-1.2.  In fact, I am able to boot with a wired Apple USB keyboard and an HDMI monitor attached--though I did disconnect them before starting playback.  Larry set mine up to come up as an NAA (no Roon for me yet).

I have not yet put my ammeter in-line to check actual current draw, but I've gotten pretty good at judging that by LPS-1.2 case temp (after hours in a give state. x-D  At idle I think this NUC is drawing less than 0.5A because the LPS-1.2 case stays at the cool-to-very-mildly-warm temp indicative of its low-charge-current-mode (less than 0.5A load).  I was running a playlist on repeat (again as a NUC) last night and this morning the LPS-1.2 case temp has me guessing 0.75-0.8A playing as NAA.

When I have a chance I'll measure start-up load and load in other modes.  Having trouble booting with a keyboard or other devices is likely just an indication that the machine draws 0.8~0.9 during boot and that whatever extra loads are attached--thumb drive, keyboard, etc. are enough to go over a typical LPS-1.2's 1.14~1.18A trip threshold.

Oh, and we can not forget that whatever load the attached USB DAC or cleaner presents gets added continuously.  In my case it is an ISO REGEN, which adds 20mA (0.02A) 5VBUS load.  BTW, ISO REGEN is fantastic with this NUC.  Anyone here with an AL/NUC who has not tried it in a while or who does not have an ISO REGEN is welcome to contact me for a loan.  I admit that I power mine with its own LPS-1.2 and use the wonderful JSSG360 Gotham cables that I got from Larry (those are really something!).

So Alex, how does it sound? 

Compared to what it replaced?

@lmitche So is my NUC (I think same as what is being spoken of) just a quad-core Pentium?  

If cores are the thing--even just for use as NAA or Roon endpoint--then I makes me wonder about the potential of Apple's new 2018 8-core mini.  I think someone here has booted AudioLinux on a Mac (I know Linux on a Mac is not difficult).  Rather pricey though.  And until we get one and sit down to figure out space and Apple's new mobo power connector, our Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK) will not work with the 2018 minis. 

21 minutes ago, Superdad said:

@lmitche So is my NUC (I think same as what is being spoken of) just a quad-core Pentium?  

If cores are the thing--even just for use as NAA or Roon endpoint--then I makes me wonder about the potential of Apple's new 2018 8-core mini.  I think someone here has booted AudioLinux on a Mac (I know Linux on a Mac is not difficult).  Rather pricey though.  And until we get one and sit down to figure out space and Apple's new mobo power connector, our Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK) will not work with the 2018 minis. 

You have the dual core Celeron model.

1 minute ago, lmitche said:

You have the dual core Celeron model.

OK so that's why Alex has no problem booting with an LPS-1.2 I guess.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

26 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Alex, yours is a dual core Celeron model.