IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

I think you guys are getting too hung up on NUC's as if they have some magical qualities.  If it's just audio as an endpoint using the mobo USB, LAN, AL headless with 4GB memory, then I would go even smaller mobo.

Like a Pico-ITX,   http://www.jetwaycomputer.com/JBC400P591.html

In fact, I've got one sitting around, have to give it a go as an endpoint at the summer home.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

38 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

This post is intended primarily for the benefit of those who own a streamer made by one of the popular manufacturers and who may be wondering how the AL NUC streamer compares to those products.  

Recently, I sent my sMS-200ultra to a dealer for the Neo upgrade.  The dealer also replaced the two SOtM-upgraded stranded silver internal DC cables with a pair of 20 AWG solid core Neotech silver cables that received the JSSG 360 treatment.  The first photo shows the 2-layer shielding using the JSSG360 approach. The second photo shows the upgraded SOtM and custom dealer DC cables side-by-side.

sMS-200ultra_DC_cable_upgrade_0.thumb.jpg.773e8ff941d090a741965e951fd8995f.jpg

sMS-200ultra_DC_cable_upgrade_1.thumb.jpg.3bb50045497bd6d0c12ff8ee405e3c32.jpg

The Neo upgrade is a subtle, yet welcome, change that eliminates the slightly bright SOtM “house sound.”  However, the real star is the new DC cables.  The sound is much more open, and the background seems completely silent.  Highlights include richer and more textured vocals and a sharper image, with the placement of instruments being much more precise.

While the sMS was away, my worst obsessive-compulsive tendencies overcame me amidst all the discussion of using an AL NUC as a Roon endpoint.  On a lark, I contacted @lmitche to ask if he would build one for me.  I expected him to politely decline, but to my surprise, he was quite enthusiastic about the idea.  I laid out my requirements, and he asked questions to familiarize himself with my setup.  With that information at hand, he suggested options, and we reached an agreement on price.  The NUC was in my hands a few days after I sent the funds.  Larry is very professional, and a great guy, to boot.

Given the elevated performance of the modified sMS, I was a little apprehensive about the NUC.  Keep in mind that the sMS has been given every conceivable upgrade, including the internal JSSG cables, internal EMI absorber, and re-clocking by a Reference 1 double regulated PSU powered OCX10 via Habst Digital BNC cables.  Despite all of these upgrades, the NUC easily beats the sMS in terms of detail and dynamics.  In fact, it is really not much of a contest.

For perspective, my chain in its simplest form can be described as follows:

FMC > switch > streamer (sMS/NUC) > tX-USBultra > DAVE > HE1000 v2

The OCX10 re-clocks the sMS and tX, which in turn re-clock the switch and both FMCs.  (The FMCs and switch were modified by SOtM.)  The OCX10 and tX are each powered by a Reference 1, the streamer and switch are each powered by an LPS-1.2, and the downstream FMC is powered by a JS-2 rail.  I utilize a Synergistic Research ground block and HD cables to ground various components and cables, as well as a Gutwire HD cable to ground the DAVE. 

For my listening comparison, I simply substituted the NUC for the sMS, keeping the LPS-1.2 as the power supply for both.

An interesting write up.  I have the Neo, and to my ears it excels at details and dynamics, so it’s quite something to hear that the AL NUC is ahead in these areas.  Quite  remarkable.

It’s a shame it’s not possible to run AL on the Neo, that would be interesting!

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

28 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

This post is intended primarily for the benefit of those who own a streamer made by one of the popular manufacturers and who may be wondering how the AL NUC streamer compares to those products.  

Recently, I sent my sMS-200ultra to a dealer for the Neo upgrade.  The dealer also replaced the two SOtM-upgraded stranded silver internal DC cables with a pair of 20 AWG solid core Neotech silver cables that received the JSSG 360 treatment.  The first photo shows the 2-layer shielding using the JSSG360 approach. The second photo shows the upgraded SOtM and custom dealer DC cables side-by-side.

The Neo upgrade is a subtle, yet welcome, change that eliminates the slightly bright SOtM “house sound.”  However, the real star is the new DC cables.  The sound is much more open, and the background seems completely silent.  Highlights include richer and more textured vocals and a sharper image, with the placement of instruments being much more precise.

While the sMS was away, my worst obsessive-compulsive tendencies overcame me amidst all the discussion of using an AL NUC as a Roon endpoint.  On a lark, I contacted @lmitche to ask if he would build one for me.  I expected him to politely decline, but to my surprise, he was quite enthusiastic about the idea.  I laid out my requirements, and he asked questions to familiarize himself with my setup.  With that information at hand, he suggested options, and we reached an agreement on price.  The NUC was in my hands a few days after I sent the funds.  Larry is very professional, and a great guy, to boot.

Given the elevated performance of the modified sMS, I was a little apprehensive about the NUC.  Keep in mind that the sMS has been given every conceivable upgrade, including the internal JSSG cables, internal EMI absorber, and re-clocking by a Reference 1 double regulated PSU powered OCX10 via Habst Digital BNC cables.  Despite all of these upgrades, the NUC easily beats the sMS in terms of detail and dynamics.  In fact, it is really not much of a contest.

The OCX10 re-clocks the sMS and tX, which in turn re-clock the switch and both FMCs.  (The FMCs and switch were modified by SOtM.)  The OCX10 and tX are each powered by a Reference 1, the streamer and switch are each powered by an LPS-1.2, and the downstream FMC is powered by a JS-2 rail.  I utilize a Synergistic Research ground block and HD cables to ground various components and cables, as well as a Gutwire HD cable to ground the DAVE. 

For my listening comparison, I simply substituted the NUC for the sMS, keeping the LPS-1.2 as the power supply for both.

Just flabbergasted a AL NUC against reclocked OCX10 sms200 ultra. AL must be very spatial. The NUC is just easily power with a small form factor pc.

Have you tried the nuc without the tx that’s an other hot question!?

Rick?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

6 hours ago, lmitche said:

You lose galvanic isolation and potentially gain a ground loop with the the Mpaudio solution.

With the lps1.2 powering the NUC and with an lps1.2 powering an ISO Regen there can't be a ground loop even with a wired Ethernet connection.

Hi @[email protected],

Will your upcoming product be prone to such purported issues?

https://dxpwr.com

LT3045-3A5IO : 6xLT3045 Input/Output Board 1V-15V, 3.0A
(coming soon)

48 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Great to hear of another validating what those of us experiencing with Audiolinux and the NUC.

Would love to hear your impressions of with and without the tX-USBultra in line.

13 minutes ago, LTG2010 said:

Hmmm..... well take out that little micro sd card, load AL onto another one, who knows what might happen? :)

Ha!  Yes, who knows what might happen.  Although I believe the sMS-200 has an ARM processor and 2GB RAM.  So I suspect this is a dead end. ☹️

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

1 hour ago, ElviaCaprice said:

I think you guys are getting too hung up on NUC's as if they have some magical qualities.  If it's just audio as an endpoint using the mobo USB, LAN, AL headless with 4GB memory, then I would go even smaller mobo.

In fact, I've got one sitting around, have to give it a go as an endpoint at the summer home.

+1

Indeed, any modern laptop with SSD,  low consumption Intel CPU, and wireless disabled in bios ,is much more clean than   a crappy NUC.  I can't see how a modern laptop running any linux distro in the ram is not better than a NUC. 

1 hour ago, ElviaCaprice said:

5 minutes ago, Cortes said:

+1

Indeed, any modern laptop with SSD,  low consumption Intel CPU, and wireless disabled in bios ,is much more clean than   a crappy NUC.  I can't see how a modern laptop running any linux distro in the ram is not better than a NUC. 

Maybe Image result for it's magic!

Seriously though you need to read through Roy's hypothesis again.  In his opinion processor cache is a factor.  That Jetway you linked has 2M cache.  I think we're all guessing and trying to figure it out at this point, but one thing's for certain is that these NUC 7s sound great.

26 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Seriously though you need to read through Roy's hypothesis again.  In his opinion processor cache is a factor.  That Jetway you linked has 2M cache.  I think we're all guessing and trying to figure it out at this point, but one thing's for certain is that these NUC 7s sound great.

Cache?. My desktop is an AMD Threadripper with 32MB of cache, and running linux. Maybe is an audophile jewell and I had not realized. ;-).  This looks a serious snake oil.  

35 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

I think Roys conclusion was that it had more to do with core count than cache size. When he compared the i7 nuc with one core active (the smart cache allowing all 8MB to be used by one active core) it didn't sound as good as all cores active. I think he concluded that roon bridge was multi threaded and benefited from all cores active... ?☺️

2 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Thanks for sharing your impressions?...Is your nuc the nuc7cjyh in the akasa case? 

16 minutes ago, Bricki said:

I think Roys conclusion was that it had more to do with core count than cache size. When he compared the i7 nuc with one core active (the smart cache allowing all 8MB to be used by one active core) it didn't sound as good as all cores active. I think he concluded that roon bridge was multi threaded and benefited from all cores active... ?☺️

It has more to do with how much cache an active proc has access to.

On 10/30/2018 at 1:26 PM, romaz said:

I then assessed the i7 NUC as a Roon endpoint.  The first thing I did was to assess this NUC with "All Cores" turned on versus only "1 Core."  With only a single core operational, this core now gets the entire 8MB of SmartCache to itself.  Well, "All Cores" sounds better than "1 Core" and so it would seem that RoonBridge is a multithreaded app and that the ability to parallel process among multiple cores is more important than having a big cache.

John, you're right that certainly was his original theory. Later he did this comparison above that changes things a bit ☺️