IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

9 minutes ago, MrUnderhill said:

You have to with LMS on AL. When I can get to my laptop I will post my settings.

i do transcode flac to wav for Qobuz. For my local files they are wav anyway, but C-3PO still required.

M

OK thanks, that would be helpful.

Weird why C-3PO would be a necessary prerequisite for it to work? I checked on the Zenith SE, and here are the plugins enabled. I actually referred to this set when bringing up LMS on AL.

image.png

My Settings:

Go into Settings > Advanced > C-3PO and deselect all the file options you DON'T use, for me this left flac and wav.

Go to Settings > Player > C-3PO

In my case I use an Audionote DAC, so 96k max.

FLAC = Enable stdin / Convert

WAV  = Enable Seek / Convert

Output Sample Rates selected = 44.1, 88.2, 48 & 96.

WRT C-3PO:

On AudioLinux Site includes -

Compatible audio applications: HQPlayer and HQPlayer embedded (with CUDA acceleration, if you install nvidia closed source drivers), HQPlayer Network Audio Daemon, MPD (with optional upmpdcli UPnP media renderer), Logitech Media Server + Squeezelite-R2 with C-3PO plugin, Kodi (XBMC), Jriver Media Center, Roon.
Audiolinux can be configured as headless server (also with HQPlayer embedded)

M

16 minutes ago, Middy said:

Shame on Akasa, the NUC case isn't great from experts on fanless heat management. Messed up the most important part.. 1200 -2000 grit lapped.

Stage one..done..block is easy but case and screw holes isn't. PM me if i can help anyone.

.20181113_224806.thumb.jpg.587cac4028407985dd51944362181378.jpg

20181118_211959.thumb.jpg.29bee167ced0e7f9cd41487b06631af8.jpg20181118_211937.thumb.jpg.0a5c8ab7c11ad023fc582c676aea2c9f.jpg20181118_211923.thumb.jpg.b40c81da05e7d64d91afe2e1677fdeea.jpg

I ordered my case a few days ago but it won't arrive for another month.... Are you having overheating issues in extreme mode with the case? Does it feel super hot? 

8 minutes ago, Bricki said:

I ordered my case a few days ago but it won't arrive for another month.... Are you having overheating issues in extreme mode with the case? Does it feel super hot? 

They run between 40 and 50 degrees C in the Akasa case in extreme mode. The top feels forehead hot.

I looked based on Middys earlier comments and I did't see anything but a very shiny heatsink surface. It was mirror shiny not like the picture above.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

14 minutes ago, lmitche said:

They run between 40 and 50 degrees C in the Akasa case in extreme mode. The top feels forehead hot.

I looked based on Middys earlier comments and I did't see anything but a very shiny heatsink surface. It was mirror shiny not like the picture above.

OK thanks Larry. Hopefully my one will be of similar quality to yours. I was going to order one from Amazon but when I woke up the next morning all 3 were gone and the UK sites won't ship to Australia... So I had to order one on ebay shipping from Italy. I hope the correct case turns up because it showed a different case in the picture but the correct model number ?

I did manage to find a nuc7cjyh in stock in Australia but I think it was the last one ?. It should arrive this week and I will post some impressions in a few weeks.. I will try and get roon server running in ramboot extreme headless on my sonicTransporter i5 and run roon Bridge ramboot headless extreme on the nuc7cjyh... 

I bought 4GB of Kingston cl17 2400 ddr4. But I did notice Roy had a compatibility problem with Kingston hyperx and the nuc7cjyh.

What ram are you using with the nuc7cjyh? 

Thanks again for sharing all your results with us on CA Larry. We are very grateful?

Cheers 

Brendan 

2 minutes ago, Bricki said:

OK thanks Larry. Hopefully my one will be of similar quality to yours. I was going to order one from Amazon but when I woke up the next morning all 3 were gone and the UK sites won't ship to Australia... So I had to order one on ebay shipping from Italy. I hope the correct case turns up because it showed a different case in the picture but the correct model number ?

I did manage to find a nuc7cjyh in stock in Australia but I think it was the last one ?. It should arrive this week and I will post some impressions in a few weeks.. I will try and get roon server running in ramboot extreme headless on my sonicTransporter i5 and run roon Bridge ramboot headless extreme on the nuc7cjyh... 

I bought 4GB of Kingston cl17 2400 ddr4. But I did notice Roy had a compatibility problem with Kingston hyperx and the nuc7cjyh.

What ram are you using with the nuc7cjyh? 

Thanks again for sharing all your results with us on CA Larry. We are very grateful?

Cheers 

Brendan 

Brendan,

I'm using Crucial Sport Ballistix CL16 memory.

Larry

12 minutes ago, Bricki said:

OK thanks. It looks like your ram will perform better than mine due to lower latency. Have you noticed a sq difference with different ram on the nucs that you have built so far? If so, is it a minor difference? Does all 2400 ddr4 ram get you roughly in the same ball park sq wise? 

Having used cl 17 and cl 16 in various builds here. I can't say there is much of a difference. As cl 16 costs almost the same as cl 17 here, why not?

@austinpop

Just to let you know that on the same Italian site - NextHardware - where you find a thread for AudioLinux (which by the way I was the first to review years ago), there is another thread for C-3PO. Its developer and many others users are always there to help in troubleshooting/setting up.

Another thread it might be of interest to your "research" is the one for GentooPlayer (similar to AL), an in-house free OS which is compiled for your particular hardware system. There are various images available with/out GUI. 

7 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Having used cl 17 and cl 16 in various builds here. I can't say there is much of a difference. As cl 16 costs almost the same as cl 17 here, why not?

OK thanks ?. Indeed why not - if I had my time again I would go for the cl16, but it wasn't a parameter I was thinking about at the time. 

Thanks again ?

Brendan 

8 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Some more findings on Zenith SE running AL Extreme

1. Removing the USB stick after boot (the withdrawal method) does indeed sound a little bit better. Thanks, @lmitche for helping me with my premature optimization.
  2. For now, I've given up on getting LMS/squeezelite working. I'm sure with time it's debuggable, but for now, it goes back on the shelf.
  3. To give you a sense of the magnitude of the SQ improvement AL in ramroot mode brings to the Zenith SE running RoonServer... I was listening to this album:
    4961571-origpic-a11c99.jpg
    https://open.qobuz.com/album/7318599921648
    https://tidal.com/album/68790357
  4. I've reported before that in terms of SQ:
    • the SQ of SE's internal player is much better than Roon player
    • the SQ of Qobuz sounds better than Tidal, both on SE's internal player, with Redbook files
    •  
  5. Well, I am now finding that:
    • SE/AL-RAM playing the above album in Roon via Tidal in 16/44.1 is sounding better than
    • SE/InnuOS playing the above album in internal player from Qobuz in hi-res (24/96)

So for me the tangible benefit of booting up my SE with AL is that I am now getting better SQ with Roon (my preferred music player) than I was getting on InnuOS with LMS/internal player (not my preferred music player).

Please clarify the meaning of "SE/InnuOS playing the above album in internal player from Qobuz in hi-res (24/96)" in terms of SQ.

Regards.

Just now, greenleo said:

Please clarify the meaning of "SE/InnuOS playing the above album in internal player from Qobuz in hi-res (24/96)" in terms of SQ.

Regards.

This predates all this AL stuff.

Zenith SE runs InnuOS - a Linux variant. Its internal player is an Innuos (the manufacturer)-modified version of squeezelite. This runs in concert with LMS also running on the SE.

I think it's fair to say that there is a consensus among Zenith SE owners that the internal player has better SQ than Roon's player. This is attributed to the memory caching and possibly other enhancements that Innuos did in their modded squeezelite player. 

Qobuz is a streaming service. Roon does not (yet) support it. LMS does have a plugin, so I listen to Qobuz with SE's internal player.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

This predates all this AL stuff.

Zenith SE runs InnuOS - a Linux variant. Its internal player is an Innuos (the manufacturer)-modified version of squeezelite. This runs in concert with LMS also running on the SE.

I think it's fair to say that there is a consensus among Zenith SE owners that the internal player has better SQ than Roon's player. This is attributed to the memory caching and possibly other enhancements that Innuos did in their modded squeezelite player. 

Qobuz is a streaming service. Roon does not (yet) support it. LMS does have a plugin, so I listen to Qobuz with SE's internal player.

I c.  That means in your original point 5, there was a comparison between two configurations and you found the 1st one (SE/AL-RAM) sounded better.